Black 4 - JG 2 - FW190 D-9 1/48 - New photos & added Diorama Base

Edit: I've loaded some new images here with the diorama base - thought this was best rather than create a new thread... I wasn't that happy with the images that I posted so I've replaced a few of them also... This time with more accurate colours. 

Here is my latest: 

IMG_7692 IMG_7689

IMG_7656

IMG_7655 IMG_7665

IMG_7669 IMG_7670 IMG_7674 IMG_7675

IMG_7681 IMG_7684

IMG_7688 IMG_7699

IMG_7698 IMG_7695 IMG_7701

IMG_7691

The kit is fine - an old one from Tamiya and is well known for it's many inaccuracies - which I only discovered after starting the build - there is aftermarket which can fix these but no longer available sadly.  It went together fine except for the wing fuselage join but nothing too crazy.  I'd go with the Eduard version if I was doing it again. 

It was my first ever 1/48 scale (from my usual 1/72) so it was a real eye opener in terms of the detail you can cram in - it also required a lot more work as any issues are much easier to see..! I riveted most of the surfaces which took an age as I repeatedly kept making mistakes, so everything would have to be filled and sanded down again (and again) which added days to the build. I also had trouble with the NMF underside - I used Alclad for this but found that it really doesn't like my oil washes - so this section had to be stripped and repainted a number of times. I ended up using Vallejo Metal colour which worked but wasn't as nice. I need to experiment more with how I can weather Alclad. 

I used an Eduard Interior PE set but still went with a closed cockpit as I think it a crime against airplane aesthetics leaving it open :) I added fuel lines and replaced the wing gun barrels with syringe needles. Paint is Tamiya acrylics and various oils - plus oil brushers from Mig.  Pigments were used in the weathering. 

The base was molded from plaster of paris using waterproof sandpaper and a frame made from lego (yes that lego) The figures came from a tamiya luftwaffe ground crew set - this came with a kubelwagen too but thought including this would overcrowd things... 

The model depicts 'Black 4' of 10./JG 2 based at GroBostheim airfield, Germany - 1945  - The scheme is a bit speculative - as in there's no solid consensus on the exact colours used so I went with RLM 82 / 83 as I just like this scheme. 

spacer.png

Thanks for watching :)

John

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
Added images
  • Like 30

Nice 

paint job. It might be my eyes, but some of the photos seem to have a green tint to them. Was that what you were after? 

Don't get me wrong. The paint scheme you have done is excellent and a good choice of colours. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

It might be my eyes, but some of the photos seem to have a green tint to them. Was that what you were after?

Not really - photos I took came out quite dark due to my inadequate lighting- I over exposed them to lighten them up which added the green tinge. The very first one is probably closest to the actual colours. 

Thanks for the kind words fellas. 

This is spot on John - a mean looking machine! I think the weathering,  especially on the underside looks great and the rivetting pain definitely worth it. In my (limited) experience with alclad I've protected with their own brand varnish and then not had problems with oil weathering on top,  though I use dots and streaks rather than an overall wash. What's next?!?

Edited by SaminCam
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Sam - re. Alclad - I think that was indeed my issue - You need to use aqua gloss or something similar to protect the finish - I've bought some since doing this so hopefully next time it won't be such an issue. I might have to look at what I'm using to thin the oils also - been using Abteilung Odourless thinner which eats though alclad like there's no tomorrow - even using very light spots and streaks. What do you use when thinning oils? 

• Like 1

White spirit or is it turpentine? Not sure the difference,  cheap stuff you clean paint brushes with anyway. I don't always thin, on the heinkel I used very sparing dots pretty much straight from tube and then brushed away. I use the thinner to clean off oil if things don't look quite right though. 

• Like 1

I'm glad it wasn't my eye sight playing tricks. You are right the first one is the best colour wise. However, the rest show very good painting technic, which I for one envy. 

I'm about to dive into doing a similar paint style on my Me 262's and I'm very worried about it.

• Thanks 1

She looks stunning mate! :worthy: Been wondering what you were doing.

1/48, does throw up it's own set of issues, but you've taken them in your stride!

Think a good few people have come across the same issue with Alclad. It really is one of those that you have to do and use what it says on the label...

Anyway, stunning finish there, great stuff!

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 10:35 PM, Greg Law said:

I'm about to dive into doing a similar paint style on my Me 262's and I'm very worried about it.

I'd just dive in and see how you go Greg - I'm sure it will come out just as nicely as your previous work... :) It's a nice scheme and I know it will look brilliant on a 262. I think the new photos I've just posted better reflect the colours of the actual model so hopefully that is of some help. 

Thanks for the kind comments @chris148 and @Corsairfoxfouruncle...!

On 5/26/2019 at 7:25 PM, Bugle07 said:

She looks stunning mate! :worthy: Been wondering what you were doing.

It took a long time to get the finish line with this one Geoff - mistakes were made and in a few dark moments I contemplated throwing the whole thing into the bin - I was getting that frustrated :( Not the kits fault of course - just my own bungling nonsense. Looking at it now however, I've quite pleased with the result - it's far from perfect but it reflects my current skill level - and the base adds to it of course. Thanks for your nice words :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1