Next project: Airfix's 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I (finished!)

qzRTywn.jpg

4vAy4Ai.jpg

These two will pose a problem. Airfix engineered them in such way that they buttjoin to other two pieces. This doesn't help with alignment.

yzvZKMC.jpg

I'll be building this version, solely because I want to keep the fuselage roundels with the yellow outline.

uSjJhQ3.jpg

I wasn't doing any WiPs because my workbench is where my notebook is usually placed, but being able to import my photos easily into Imgur and share them through their app to here solves many things.

I hope I can start building it soon.

Edited by Sturmovik

I don't have time to go thread hunting now, as need to go to bed,  but there are threads here dealing with the problems, the UC needs pre drilling and pinning before you start, and you need to be vigilant about fit, it is VERY tight, and if you don't pay attention, the fuel tank won't fit.

Look for @Basilisk build, also @PlaStix  build of the VB by Airfic and tamiya, it has the same basic parts/problems.

more later

T

• Thanks 2

Thanks Troy, wilk have in mind the predrelling for the landing gear, however, I don't have the tools to make such thing (drills plus tubing).

Kit's tolerances will be fine as long as I remove the paint from the contact points.

Edited by Sturmovik

It's a good kit.  I have built two.  Take your time and dry fit to make sure you know how it goes together.  Make sure you sand the tops and bottoms of the wing spars flat you don't need to take much off to do that and it will help later in fitting the wings.

Troy is right about U/C - I drilled and pinned mine and would recommend it - I used .5mm steel rod you don't need much really just to add strength around the joint.

Lastly and most importantly - enjoy it....

10 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I don't have the tools to make such thing (drills plus tubing).

Really worthwhile investment is a pin vice and a set of micro drills,  look on ebay,  but they are an investment.  I have a sewing needle in a pin vice I use all the time, as line scriber, centre point marker (for drilling) and as a superglue applicator.   Occasionally I have to refile the point.

In the case of the Airfix Spitfire UC leg attachment, this is the aftermarket you need to build the kit.  

@Uncle Uncool  would be a good chap to advise on where to get the specified tools in Argentina.

builds I mentioned

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Really worthwhile investment is a pin vice and a set of micro drills,  look on ebay,  but they are an investment.  I have a sewing needle in a pin vice I use all the time, as line scriber, centre point marker (for drilling) and as a superglue applicator.     

@Uncle Uncool  would be a good chap to advise on where to get the specified tools in Argentina

Hi, Troy, my mate! :worthy:

Of course, I'll gladly help mate Fran to get the necessary tools and bits. 

Fran, just let me know what you need and I'll point you in "they're" right direction.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

Progress with the Spitfire. I'll be building the one with the Watts propeller.

9JS2CD4.jpg

u0wLxRD.jpg

CaoyJ2o.jpg

FIRXvEI.jpg

06Gqe32.jpg

NO19gCR.jpg

zLhgmIZ.jpg

hKSSud5.jpg

Lm502B6.jpg

Sprue added to push the fuselage outwards and eliminate a gap in the wing root section.

1j3AvMC.jpg

1SyS96t.jpg

The model is now being painted. I'll post more pictures soon.

• Like 1

6Hg4qHI.jpg

FDZPif4.jpg

Aircraft decalled and with the landing gear added. I put some CA between the joints to improve its resistance. I'll make sure to not move it too much.

I don't know why Airfix decided to make the landing gear assembly like this. It's so weak!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

u9ihmeF.jpg

Completed! And a photo of my next project.

@Uncle Uncool @LaurieS you two may be interested in this one!

:analintruder: "Camrra..." indeed!

Did you happen to have fished this one out from Mercado Libre, Fran, possibly? I've seen it published on there. Dukel?

I've still got the Classic Airframes one in the stash, waiting for me to decide which registration # I'm going to build.

Will definitely follow your build.

Cheers,

Unc2

Just now, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: "Camrra..." indeed!

Did you happen to have fished this one out from Mercado Libre, Fran, possibly? I've seen it published on there. Dukel?

I've still got the Classic Airframes one in the stash, waiting for me to decide which registration # I'm going to build.

Will definitely follow your build.

Cheers,

Unc2

It's the one from Dukel alright, and it was at a bargain price, 2500ARS with decals and Humbrol paints against 3000 without decals and paints from Hannants (going to London this June).

4 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

it was at a bargain price, 2500ARS with decals and Humbrol paints against 3000 without decals and paints from Hannants

Completely! Hadn't I had mine, I'd have totally taken that offer. Had to trade the decals for B-101 on my Classic Airframes kit for some wingtip rails in the GWH 1/48 Su-35 kit with a modeller in Sweden (can you believe it?). Need them to convert the Hobby BooBoo 1/48 J-11 into a vanilla Su-27.

Heard that Aztek is reprinting their awesome 48-048 decal sheet soon.

11 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

(going to London this June).

Lucky chap! :worthy: Congrats on that. Might as well make you smuggle some goodies for me. :wink:

Cheers Fran,

Unc2