Liberator Mk III/V Coastal Command

This took nearly a year but mostly because it was stuck on the shelf of doom. It went together without issue, the kit is great I just found painting it a bit dull, especially the white. Also regretting putting in Eduard photoetch cockpit bits - totally invisible now :) I'm not calling it quite done but its done enough - I might go back add some more weathering

My favourite box art of any kit in the stash though, love it!

20190519_101854.jpg

20190519_101948.jpg

20190519_101956.jpg

20190519_101921.jpg

20190519_101910.jpg

On top of a 1970's amplifier :)

20190519_102146.jpg

• Like 64

Lovely job,.... and a Liberator in that scheme just cannot be wrong,...... well done mate,.....I also agree about that box art,...stunning.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job on the Liberator - she really does look good in the Coastal Command scheme! Okay, I'll be the first to ask. Does your amp go up 11?*

Best Regards,

Jason

*With apologies to Spinal Tap, the greatest fictional British rock band ever! The Tap Rules!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A beautiful looking Liberator.  Love the Coastal scheme.  Must get one but all Liberator kits seem to be eye wateringly expensive at the moment (maybe something for Airfix to think about). What paint did you use for the white and how did you highlight the panel lines? Looks really effective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Great Uncle by marriage, Flight Sargeant Ernest Barge, who was killed flying a Liberator GR.V heading out for patrol over the Bay of Biscay.

15-11-43     Liberator GR.V BZ817/L.  53 Sq. crashed on take-off Swinesleys Farm, 2 m E of Beaulieu. 8 killed.

You have made a lovely job of this aircraft, congratulations.  

It is a kit I have considered and would like to build but although a good kit I too consider it very expensive.  One day when there is a sale perhaps....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, Grey Beema said:

I have a Great Uncle by marriage, Flight Sargeant Ernest Barge, who was killed flying a Liberator GR.V heading out for patrol over the Bay of Biscay.

15-11-43     Liberator GR.V BZ817/L.  53 Sq. crashed on take-off Swinesleys Farm, 2 m E of Beaulieu. 8 killed.

You have made a lovely job of this aircraft, congratulations.  

It is a kit I have considered and would like to build but although a good kit I too consider it very expensive.  One day when there is a sale perhaps....

Sorry to hear about that mate.

The Eduard Lib kits can be found for around £60 ish, which includes the book etc,....if you look in the right places,..... both boxings provide the parts to build a Mk.V or one of the later variants with the nose turret,..... also Eduard sell overtrees which are quite cheap.

Here is a link to the later variant, I got mine from here;

https://mjwmodels.co.uk/edk2123-172-consolidated-gr-mkvi--viii-liberator-riders-in-the-sky-1945-6598-p.asp

Cheers,

Tony 

On 24/05/2019 at 11:19, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Liberator.  Love the Coastal scheme.  Must get one but all Liberator kits seem to be eye wateringly expensive at the moment (maybe something for Airfix to think about). What paint did you use for the white and how did you highlight the panel lines? Looks really effective. 

Sorry for the delay - I used Halfords white rattle can primer, Vallejo gloss varnish over the top through the airbrush, then decals, then another layer of Vallejo varnish, then Tamiya brown panel line accent to break up the white a bit, then Vallejo matt varnish (through a brush!). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pizzapaolo said:

Sorry for the delay - I used Halfords white rattle can primer, Vallejo gloss varnish over the top through the airbrush, then decals, then another layer of Vallejo varnish, then Tamiya brown panel line accent to break up the white a bit, then Vallejo matt varnish (through a brush!). 

Thanks. Looks great.