Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

I'm thinking about Flankers and have a couple of builds in mind. One of them will be an Su-33. For the other I'm contemplating a first-generation Flanker and wondering whether either of these would be acceptable: Firstly a Flanker in the colours of the Russian Knights display team - these were (I believe) kept combat-capable so would arguably still count as interceptors. The second option is a Su-27LL used by the Gromov Flight Research Institute to test fly-by-wire technology - still basically a Flanker but is it still enough of an interceptor? Would either of these count?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

I'm thinking about Flankers and have a couple of builds in mind. One of them will be an Su-33. For the other I'm contemplating a first-generation Flanker and wondering whether either of these would be acceptable: Firstly a Flanker in the colours of the Russian Knights display team - these were (I believe) kept combat-capable so would arguably still count as interceptors. The second option is a Su-27LL used by the Gromov Flight Research Institute to test fly-by-wire technology - still basically a Flanker but is it still enough of an interceptor? Would either of these count?

Both of those options are still, in my opinion, enough of an interceptor to qualify :) 

• Thanks 1

Taking a short break from the bench for the Christmas festivities so I will take this opportunity to wish all fellow interceptor builders a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  🎄🎉🍺🍾🍷.

Stay Safe

AW

• Thanks 3

A very Merry Christmas to you all gang!

Hope you're all staying safe and getting precious time with loved ones over the festive season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I want to take part in this GB with one of the 1/48th Monogram 'Century Series' kits. I went on an eBay spending spree years ago when bargains were easy to find and I have several Monogram F-101B Voodoos, F-102A Delta Daggers and F-106A Delta Darts in the stash. My missus says she can never have enough shoes so I adopted the same approach. 😈  And they are still good kits. So, what to build?

I don't see a 1/48th Voodoo listed and I would love to do one and I do have several decal sheets but the problem is they are 172 miles away and thanks to Covid I can't go get them. However I could buy the Caracal CD48010 from Hannants and complete an ANG Voodoo. 

I do see a 1/48th F-106A Delta Dart build listed so will leave that (same problem as above with decals too).

My heart is pointing me towards the Convair F-102A Delta Dagger which was such an interesting and transitional interceptor which remained in service for far longer than intended (and served in Vietnam). The GB has several 1/72 builds underway - and one completed - but I don't see the 1/48th Monogram kit listed so far. I do have with me some old Super Scale decals for F-102A serial 56-1447 operated by the ADC 57th FIS 'Black Knights', she flew with Arctic Orange panels and I think would look pretty impressive. It would complement Enzo Matrix's 57th FIS TF-102A and add to Modelling Minion's and Filler's 57th FIS F-4E Phantom builds. However I have a problem, a Case X / XX problem...

These are the three kits that I have in the stash:-

50759668326_460efe2e79_b.jpgF-102A Four by Ghostbase, on Flickr

50759668351_9ba9a3fb6f_b.jpgF-102A Five by Ghostbase, on Flickr

50759668281_7c4c7f5f4c_b.jpgF-102A Six by Ghostbase, on Flickr

My problem is that F-102A serial 56-1447 had the Case XX wing (happy to be corrected if wrong) however of these three kits only the original boxing is Case XX, the problem is that it is shrink wrapped and I don't want to break into it unless I have to. So if I build 56-1447 it will have the wrong wing! That would not have worried me a few years ago but now it does 🥴

Or should I go F-101B Voodoo and order some decals?

Michael

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

My problem is that F-102A serial 56-1447 had the Case XX wing (happy to be corrected if wrong) however of these three kits only the original boxing is Case XX, the problem is that it is shrink wrapped and I don't want to break into it unless I have to. So if I build 56-1447 it will have the wrong wing! That would not have worried me a few years ago but now it does 🥴

Well Michael my opinion says build the Deuce and have fun, not many will know of the wing differences. If you're really worried about the wing then go VooDoo all the way, maybe you can find Canadian decals ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Michael

I actually understand your conundrum and, given how you feel, I'd say either go ahead and open the kit with the Case XX wing (I mean, why not? It's there to be built!) or go for the 10wonder. If you build the Deuce with the wrong wing you'll just keep looking at it and it'll bug you down the road. And besides, the Voodoo is such a beautiful brute of an airplane!

Michael

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

I say go Voodoo :) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well Michael my opinion says build the Deuce and have fun, not many will know of the wing differences. If you're really worried about the wing then go VooDoo all the way, maybe you can find Canadian decals ? 

21 hours ago, MichaelSatin said:

I actually understand your conundrum and, given how you feel, I'd say either go ahead and open the kit with the Case XX wing (I mean, why not? It's there to be built!) or go for the 10wonder. If you build the Deuce with the wrong wing you'll just keep looking at it and it'll bug you down the road. And besides, the Voodoo is such a beautiful brute of an airplane!

Michael

12 hours ago, Col. said:

I say go Voodoo :) 

Thanks for the replies, I think I see a theme emerging here...  😉

Took a look in the stash and found these so I do have some choices:-

50762586381_496f173530_b.jpgIMGP4140 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The 416 Lynx AW (F) Sqn option dates back to 1990 while the 2001 rebox has 87th FIS, Lockbourne AFB, OH, and 136th FIS, NY ANG, Niagara Falls, NY, options. And a cool 'Monogram Century Series' patch which appeals to the latent 12 year old in me!

Just a last tilt towards the F-102A Delta Dagger, Monogram 85-5518 does have decals for a SEA camouflage painted 'Deuce' operated by the 102nd FIS, NY ANG, operated out of Suffolk County from 1972 to 1975. Hmm... 🧐

Michael

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

Thanks for the replies, I think I see a theme emerging here...  😉

Took a look in the stash and found these so I do have some choices:-

50762586381_496f173530_b.jpgIMGP4140 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The 416 Lynx AW (F) Sqn option dates back to 1990 while the 2001 rebox has 87th FIS, Lockbourne AFB, OH, and 136th FIS, NY ANG, Niagara Falls, NY, options. And a cool 'Monogram Century Series' patch which appeals to the latent 12 year old in me!

Just a last tilt towards the F-102A Delta Dagger, Monogram 85-5518 does have decals for a SEA camouflage painted 'Deuce' operated by the 102nd FIS, NY ANG, operated out of Suffolk County from 1972 to 1975. Hmm... 🧐

Michael

So that's you good for a Voodoo double-build and a SEA 'Deuce' to follow up with :D 

• Haha 1

Hello everyone and happy holidays
I would like to participate with a Iraqi Air Force MiG-21MF

Eduard divides his MiG-21MF production into 2 categories: interceptors and fighter bombers. There is a small difference in the instrument panel and 2 different sprues are provided for the 2 models (I cannot find the differences having only one)

My subject falls into the fighter-bomber category but in the few photos I found he always has air-to-air armament and in any case I will only put air-to-air missiles.

Is it eligible?

50765803056_690e0c24cc_b.jpg

15 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

Hello everyone and happy holidays
I would like to participate with a Iraqi Air Force MiG-21MF

Eduard divides his MiG-21MF production into 2 categories: interceptors and fighter bombers. There is a small difference in the instrument panel and 2 different sprues are provided for the 2 models (I cannot find the differences having only one)

My subject falls into the fighter-bomber category but in the few photos I found he always has air-to-air armament and in any case I will only put air-to-air missiles.

Is it eligible?

50765803056_690e0c24cc_b.jpg

So long as your -21MF is in air-to-air trim it's all good here :) 

• Like 1

Happy holidays everyone.

Can any experts chime in here? - I’m considering building a Messerschmitt BF-109 next for this GB.

I have the G6 variant in the stash, but is this considered an interceptor?

The web sources i’ve found are not 100% clear.

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Happy holidays everyone.

Can any experts chime in here? - I’m considering building a Messerschmitt BF-109 next for this GB.

I would think it was as it was a primary opponent of the 8th air force. Eduard kit, if so Ive built a few keep an eye on the canopy fit. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

7 hours ago, Dansk said:

Happy holidays everyone.

As @Corsairfoxfourunclesays its primary use was against Allied bombers so yes go for it :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

As @Corsairfoxfourunclesays its primary use was against Allied bombers so yes go for it :) 

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would think it was as it was a primary opponent of the 8th air force. Eduard kit, if so Ive built a few keep an eye on the canopy fit. 

Thanks guys. 🙏

Yes it’s an Eduard kit but I’m debating whether or not to save it for that STGB later next year.

There’s a 1/48 beaufighter nightfighter that might fit the bill too.

Neither are just gray, which I need after the Tomcat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks guys. 🙏

Yes it’s an Eduard kit but I’m debating whether or not to save it for that STGB later next year.

There’s a 1/48 beaufighter nightfighter that might fit the bill too.

Neither are just gray, which I need after the Tomcat.

Ah, well, if you're offering up a Beaufighter to keep the 109 for the STGB that sounds a good plan :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I am tempted to join in but wandering if an Albatros Dlll would be considered an interceptor? It had lots of design improvements as a fighter and did give the Germans air superiority for a while. Plus I have one in my tiny stash.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bbdave said:

I am tempted to join in but wandering if an Albatros Dlll would be considered an interceptor? It had lots of design improvements as a fighter and did give the Germans air superiority for a while. Plus I have one in my tiny stash.

Dave

Your Albatros DIII is most welcome in our GB Dave :) Although the title is Interceptors it encompasses any fighter, air superiority type, 'aggressor', SAM, anti-aircraft gun etc. If it was designed to intercept and shoot down aircraft it's good for this GB.

• Like 1