Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

30 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks Serge, this is very interesting. I should drop Dimitry an email and ask for prices for a couple 1/72 sheets

In principle here:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_72040.html

he writes:

"fixes by USAF and U.S.  AIR FORCE decals for F-84 / F-86 / F-100 / F-101 / F-102 / F-104 / F-105 / F-106 / F-4 complete with USAF insignia.  The color of the lettering is in the correct color, the same color as the Blue color on the USAF decals.  Scale 1: 72/48/32.  Such kits are available on request for any aircraft of the US Air Force, on any scale."

As for the price, he indicates 780 rubles per decal in the 48th scale, which is about $ 10 at the current exchange rate.  Since 1/48 is one and a half times more than 1/72, I think that the price should also be one and a half times less, but this is my opinion.

In general, he makes any decals to order, according to the customer's photo or from the original layout of the customer, so he can do anything, both in the technique of silk-screen printing we are used to, as well as laser printing or mask-stencils from tape.  The only thing he wrote is that he has problems with printing yellow elements, but he somehow gets out of this situation.

I myself have not bought these decals for many personal reasons, but they have good reviews from modelers.

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

By the way, he has quite original decals in his catalog, such as:

- https://uprise-decal.ru/1_72/f-14d-tomcat-vf-31-last-cruise

F-14D Tomcat VF-31 Last Cruise

(Look close  at emblem cat between the legs!😁 Element number 3 on decals.)

1547315307_2.jpg

https://uprise-decal.ru/mig-17/air-hooligans-hawker-hunter-fga-9-mig-17pf

paint.jpg

https://uprise-decal.ru/F-5E_Tiger_II/f-5e-tiger-ii-ussr-test1544362588_1543873521_paint-full.jpg

e.t.c.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

I would like to join to this group build as well if possible. This will be my first group build and indeed first post on britmodeller so please be gentle.

Few questions:

- Do I need to do anything else to join the GB other than this post and opening a topic for my build?

- Would different variants of interceptors acceptable? (i.e. two seater training version of an F-104 like TF-104G?) Same question for multi role aircraft? i.e. Mig-29 with a2a payload?

- Can we choose the subject any time between the start of the GB and starting the build topic?

Thank you.

• Like 3

Welcome to Britmodeller! I'll answer what I can...

1. Nope, all you need to do is start a new thread to follow your build.

2. The Group Build Leader will have to answer that one, sorry!

3. You can build whatever you want (assuming it qualifies for this GB) and start whenever you want once the GB has started - tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing whatever you choose...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasonb13 said:

Welcome to Britmodeller! I'll answer what I can...

1. Nope, all you need to do is start a new thread to follow your build.

2. The Group Build Leader will have to answer that one, sorry!

3. You can build whatever you want (assuming it qualifies for this GB) and start whenever you want once the GB has started - tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing whatever you choose...

Thank you @Jasonb13

I think I decided what model to make for this GB and hopefully it will be within the rules. Even the box claims this is an interceptor with secondary capability of ground attack so fingers crossed.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Nice choice! My understanding is that a multi-role aircraft is fine as long as it's only carrying what an Interceptor would carry. So, for example, no air-ground ordinance should be on your build, just air-air. But once again, the GB Host should be along to clarify that! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

A couple of interesting decal sheets there Serge. The Hunter/Tower Bridge I'm well aware of and MiG-17/Kommunalny Bridge incident to a lesser extent but this is the first time I've seen schematics or a serial number for any F-5E tested in Russia :wub:

5 hours ago, PascalPati said:

Hi All,

I would like to join to this group build as well if possible. This will be my first group build and indeed first post on britmodeller so please be gentle.

Few questions:

- Do I need to do anything else to join the GB other than this post and opening a topic for my build?

- Would different variants of interceptors acceptable? (i.e. two seater training version of an F-104 like TF-104G?) Same question for multi role aircraft? i.e. Mig-29 with a2a payload?

- Can we choose the subject any time between the start of the GB and starting the build topic?

Thank you.

First of all welcome to Britmodeller in general and the GB in particular. Thanks for choosing to join us here :) 

To answer your questions:

Nope. You're good to go with that.

Yes. Combat capable trainers and multi-role machines are good so long as modelled equipped for air combat duties. No bombs.

Also yes. Feel free to join in at any point during the duration of the GB.

3 hours ago, PascalPati said:

...I think I decided what model to make for this GB and hopefully it will be within the rules. Even the box claims this is an interceptor with secondary capability of ground attack so fingers crossed.

spacer.png

Nice subject choice. You'll be in good company with this one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PascalPati said:

Hi All,

Few questions:

Thank you.

Welcome to the Group build Pascal, enjoy the experience.

I will allow myself to answer the questions as I volunteered to co-moderate this GB.

No, start a thread, start building, start posting, enjoy the banter!

Yes, thise are all acceptable as long as they can be used to down another aircraft. You can consult the pinned 'Rules' thread if in doubt. If still in doubt ask @Col. as the GB Leader, I imagine he is quite relaxed about it though, and you could probably get away witb building an A-10 if you omit all the a2g weapons ;)

You can choose the subject at any time during the GB, change it or enter with more than one build. It does not have to be cast in stone at the beginning of the GB. Some people enter a GB with only days left to finish their build.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

...and you could probably get away witb building an A-10 if you omit all the a2g weapons ;)

Well, technically no, that would of course be pushing the limits a touch too far :lol: Unless of course you can prove one did shoot down another aircraft in air-to-air combat... :hmmm:

2 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

...I volunteered to co-moderate this GB.

Oops, you did indeed, now duly mentioned in The Rules and officially inducted  to share the blame role of cat herder moderating :D 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Well, technically no, that would of course be pushing the limits a touch too far :lol: Unless of course you can prove one did shoot down another aircraft in air-to-air combat... :hmmm:

You mean like this one?  BRRRRRT!  :jump_fire:

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-chopper-popper-scored-the-a-10s-first-air-to-air-kill-against-an-iraqi-helicopter/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

BRRRRRT indeed :D If anyone wishes to model this specific A-10 in a 'clean' configuration then I'm okay with that as it was used to actively intercept and shoot down an enemy aircraft.

Hmmm, A-10 STGB :hmmm:

Well, the A-10 was a tounge-in-cheek remark (even if there was domething in the back if ny head abour shooting down helicopters), however I would serioudly consider building a Peruvian SU-25 which are regullarly used to intercrpt and shoot down cocaine transport aircraft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Well, the A-10 was a tounge-in-cheek remark (even if there was domething in the back if ny head abour shooting down helicopters), however I would serioudly consider building a Peruvian SU-25 which are regullarly used to intercrpt and shoot down cocaine transport aircraft.

Another unusual and interesting example :thumbsup:

Good morning!

Looking for forward to getting stuck into my Crusader and being involved in this GB, but it won’t be for a while as I can’t possibly juggle three of ‘em, but I’ll be looking in to see what everyone’s up to, I’m sure there will be some fantastic builds. 

Enjoy! 😁

• Like 2

Just now, TonyOD said:

Good morning!

Looking for forward to getting stuck into my Crusader and being involved in this GB, but it won’t be for a while as I can’t possibly juggle three of ‘em, but I’ll be looking in to see what everyone’s up to, I’m sure there will be some fantastic builds. 

Enjoy! 😁

Good luck with your two current projects and hopefully see your Crusader underway soon Tony :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Hmmm, A-10 STGB :hmmm:

I’m looking for an excuse to do one of them... Heller’s A-10 isn’t strictly speaking Heller, it’s a rebox of an Airfix I think, but I could live with myself I’m sure 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’m looking for an excuse to do one of them... Heller’s A-10 isn’t strictly speaking Heller, it’s a rebox of an Airfix I think, but I could live with myself I’m sure 😉

The rate at which the STGB calendar is filling up we'll likely be looking at 2023 if I started a thread now :o

• Haha 2

A-10 in GB interceptor???? Seriously???

Then need  also: 

- Tu-16

"In 1970, the Soviet reconnaissance Tu-16 collided with the F-4 of the American Navy.  As a result of the collision, the Phantom was lost."

- Su-20

"On October 2, an Iranian F-4E was shot down by a 30 mm gun from an Iraqi Su-20."

- Soviet airborne in Afghanistan scale_600

(The first images that came across on the request "Soviet airborne  in Afghanistan")

"On April 5, 1982, 79 Soviet combat helicopters violated Iranian airspace from Afghanistan as a result of a navigation error.  Helicopters landed troops, which for some reason blew up an Iranian asphalt plant.  4 Phantoms rose to the rescue from Tehran.  The first pair fired 2 AIM-9 missiles at the landing Soviet helicopters, both missiles missed the target.  The second pair fired cannons at the helicopters.  As a result, 2 Soviet Mi-8s were damaged (then destroyed by their crews), in turn, Soviet airborne opened machine-gun fire and knocked out 1 Iranian "Phantom", the plane, leaving a smoky plume, returned to the airfield [119]."

- self-propelled gun M109

"On February 2, 1977, during an exercise on the Lebanese border, an Israeli F-4E (No. 67-0326, crew of D. Noah and I. Elster) was accidentally shot down by a shell hit by an Israeli 155 mm self-propelled gun M109 [59]."

- Soviet minesweeper "Рулевой" & Soviet ship SDK-137

"On October 16, near the Syrian port of Latakia, one Israeli Phantom was shot down by the fire of the Soviet minesweeper "Рулевой" (Helmsman).  On the same day, another Phantom near Port Said was shot down by the Soviet ship SDK-137. [88]"

all from:

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II

- Mi-24 

"On October 27, 1984, the official Iraqi newspaper Baghdad Observer reported that a Mi-24 helicopter shot down an Iranian F-4 Phantom II jet fighter near the village of Ein Khosh."

https://rg.ru/2019/10/27/vertolet-protiv-istrebitelia-kak-irakskij-mi-24-sbil-iranskij-f-4.html

- Polikarpov Po-2

"So, on May 3, 1953, F-94 pilot Senior Lieutenant Wilcox and radar operator Senior Lieutenant Goldberg did not take into account the large difference in speed between their aircraft and the Korean Po-2 and crashed into the enemy."

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/f94.html

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

A-10 in GB interceptor???? Seriously???

Then need  also: 

- Tu-16

"In 1970, the Soviet reconnaissance Tu-16 collided with the F-4 of the American Navy.  As a result of the collision, the Phantom was lost."

- Su-20

"On October 2, an Iranian F-4E was shot down by a 30 mm gun from an Iraqi Su-20."

- Soviet airborne in Afghanistan scale_600

(The first images that came across on the request "Soviet airborne  in Afghanistan")

"On April 5, 1982, 79 Soviet combat helicopters violated Iranian airspace from Afghanistan as a result of a navigation error.  Helicopters landed troops, which for some reason blew up an Iranian asphalt plant.  4 Phantoms rose to the rescue from Tehran.  The first pair fired 2 AIM-9 missiles at the landing Soviet helicopters, both missiles missed the target.  The second pair fired cannons at the helicopters.  As a result, 2 Soviet Mi-8s were damaged (then destroyed by their crews), in turn, Soviet airborne opened machine-gun fire and knocked out 1 Iranian "Phantom", the plane, leaving a smoky plume, returned to the airfield [119]."

- self-propelled gun M109

"On February 2, 1977, during an exercise on the Lebanese border, an Israeli F-4E (No. 67-0326, crew of D. Noah and I. Elster) was accidentally shot down by a shell hit by an Israeli 155 mm self-propelled gun M109 [59]."

- Soviet minesweeper "Рулевой" & Soviet ship SDK-137

"On October 16, near the Syrian port of Latakia, one Israeli Phantom was shot down by the fire of the Soviet minesweeper "Рулевой" (Helmsman).  On the same day, another Phantom near Port Said was shot down by the Soviet ship SDK-137. [88]"

all from:

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II

- Mi-24 

"On October 27, 1984, the official Iraqi newspaper Baghdad Observer reported that a Mi-24 helicopter shot down an Iranian F-4 Phantom II jet fighter near the village of Ein Khosh."

https://rg.ru/2019/10/27/vertolet-protiv-istrebitelia-kak-irakskij-mi-24-sbil-iranskij-f-4.html

- Polikarpov Po-2

"So, on May 3, 1953, F-94 pilot Senior Lieutenant Wilcox and radar operator Senior Lieutenant Goldberg did not take into account the large difference in speed between their aircraft and the Korean Po-2 and crashed into the enemy."

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/f94.html

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

The Phantoms really weren't fairing well during those engagements! While I'm sure we've plenty more obvious choices I'd not turn any of those examples away if they're accompanied by supporting evidence that the subject engaged and downed an enemy aircraft.

• Like 1

The evil capitalistsTM where not only on the recieving end: 

The infamous (F/)EP-3 Orion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

The (F/)EF-111 Raven>

https://tacairnet.com/2013/09/10/unarmed-kill/

And of course the RAF GR1 Tornados scoring a2a kills with JP233s.

While all of these examples are quite interesting and warrant a GB on its own ("You used that for WHAT?!") , I understand that the spirit of the GB is to showcase weapon systems designed to actively seek out, engage and down enemy aircraft. Otherwise we will start putting WWII Bombers in the GB due to their defensive armament. And yes, I know taht some WWII bombers became quite effective fighters, like the A-20 Havoc, the Ju-88 or the Mosquito).

Nonetheless like @Col. said if someone really wanted to build one of these systems and could back it up with a credible story than I also would support such build, as I love to learn about such weird occurences. 

• Thanks 1

Question for the Mods....

I haven't seen it listed yet in the models in the group build, but I was hoping to enter the Mosquito NF Mk XIII in 1/72nd.   The blurb in the Tamiya kit states that "the interception" of the Steinbock night bombing raids by Ju 88's, Do 217's and He 177's over London in 1944 was "largely entrusted to the Mosquito Nightfighter NF Mk XII and NF Mk XVII variants."

Would this be allowable by the definition?   The particular variant of the Mossie has that bullnose at the front of the fuselage, which held the radar, and four cannons under the nose.

This is the painting scheme from the kit:-

spacer.png

The heading does say..."fighter inception unit"...

So - just checking - would that be OK for the group build, lads?

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prenton said:

Question for the Mods....

I haven't seen it listed yet in the models in the group build, but I was hoping to enter the Mosquito NF Mk XIII in 1/72nd.   The blurb in the Tamiya kit states that "the interception" of the Steinbock night bombing raids by Ju 88's, Do 217's and He 177's over London in 1944 was "largely entrusted to the Mosquito Nightfighter NF Mk XII and NF Mk XVII variants."

Would this be allowable by the definition?   The particular variant of the Mossie has that bullnose at the front of the fuselage, which held the radar, and four cannons under the nose.

This is the painting scheme from the kit:-

spacer.png

The heading does say..."fighter inception unit"...

So - just checking - would that be OK for the group build, lads?

Thanks,

Philip

An NF Mosquito most certainly is eligible in our GB Philip so feel free to crack on as soon as you can :speak_cool:

1 hour ago, Col. said:

An NF Mosquito most certainly is eligible in our GB Philip so feel free to crack on as soon as you can :speak_cool:

Thanks Col - will do!

1 hour ago, Jasonb13 said:

Lovely kit Philip, if you haven't built one already you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Jason - looking forward, for once, to a well fitting kit.  Currently just finishing an AML kit and a Special Hobby kit...you know the drill (or rather the filling and sanding....!)

Philip

• Like 1