Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

9 hours ago, 825 said:

Thanks Col. I've dragged them out the stash and photographed them. To avoid temptation I've put them straight back in the stash. And I've done the same with the Fulmar. 

Hopefully not too far back into the stash?

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

My original thought was a 1/35 CWIS.

I now have the models to produce a scene from a movie--among the best showing flight operations. Real aircraft but a very fictional setting. Would that be permitted?

If it's from mainstream media and portrays any subject(s) that would be eligible including any type that was used to portray an eligible subject, such as a Harvard modified to look a bit like an A6M Zero, then yes it most certainly is permitted :) Although I'd love to see the CWIS as well if you have the time ;) 

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

Have this that needs building 

zvXUTka.jpg

ive heard it can be a pain ..

not too much love out there for Typhoons when it comes to aftermarket decals ...

given the GB Dates I may have a bash at this 

It'd be good to have you and your Typhoon join us if you can Tim :) 

Been seeing many photos of the black 'adversary' Typhoon ZJ914 at Lossiemouth lately and it's a very tempting subject...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hello, I just scored the 1/700 USS Long Beach, the nuclear cruiser armed to the teeth with huge 60s era SAM systems. 

Given it was basically a nuclear reactor with a massive radar and three SAM launchers (in its original fit which I would build), does it fit into the rules here? Seems its sole purpose was to send enemy jets to their flaming demise.

I have a couple of other kits I'll join with shortly (F-104 JASDF and a Mig-21 etc), but I wanted to check on the Long Beach. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

hello, I just scored the 1/700 USS Long Beach, the nuclear cruiser armed to the teeth with huge 60s era SAM systems. 

Given it was basically a nuclear reactor with a massive radar and three SAM launchers (in its original fit which I would build), does it fit into the rules here? Seems its sole purpose was to send enemy jets to their flaming demise.

I have a couple of other kits I'll join with shortly (F-104 JASDF and a Mig-21 etc), but I wanted to check on the Long Beach. 

Bring on the Long Beach! :yahoo: Surface to Air missile systems are most welcome :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Awesome!  I've got one of those in the stash as well as a resin USS Springfield Guided Missile Cruiser.  The Springfield will likely make an appearance if "Anything But Injection" happens to make it through this year's bumfight.

• Like 2

Hmmm, with multiple -31s planned I think the PD might just have to move to the head of the Interceptor que.  :hmmm:

As long as I can get the OV-1B & B-25 cleared from the runway!  Sadly work isn't doing me any favors in that department.....  :hanging:

28 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Hmmm, with multiple -31s planned I think the PD might just have to move to the head of the Interceptor que.  :hmmm:

As long as I can get the OV-1B & B-25 cleared from the runway!  Sadly work isn't doing me any favors in that department.....  :hanging:

There's always room in our GB for that! :D

Know what you mean about work getting in the way of progress though :( 

On 08/11/2020 at 23:59, bianfuxia said:

Just had a look at that one.  Looks like someone has taken a cruiser hull and put the bridge of the Enterprise on it.     The carrier, not the starship...  :lol:  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Know what you mean about work getting in the way of progress though :( 

On the upside, it's good for bolstering the stash and "retirement planning".  :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

On the upside, it's good for bolstering the stash and "retirement planning".  :whistle:

Now there's a bright side :D 

Had a quick review of where we are at the moment with three days to go before the off and there's already 54 subjects across quite a diverse range of scales and eras :) Am I correct in thinking it's all aviation subjects so far? Remember that surface to air equipment such as SAM systems deployed on both land and sea are eligible ;) 

Hi, all!

I thought for a long time before writing this posting, but then I decided to write it all the same.
But then I decided to write all the same before GB officially begins, because it is better to warn in advance. The fact is that these builds have potential problems through the fault of the manufacturer:

F-106 from Monogram, F-94B from Sword and XF-91 from Lindberg as I think probably also have this problem, but I do not have these models, so I cannot say for sure.

The rationale for this problem, with links to the article, why the correct color is dark blue and not black, I wrote here:

Besides, as far as I know, this problem was discussed in some Western forums (ARC?).

No this problem in Meng:

Also in this topic

@Jb65rams

I see aftermarket decal with probably  correct colour  "U.S. Air Force", therefore 
this build will most likely be correct too:

Interestingly what from all my collection of US aircraft jet fighter , the correct dark blue stencils have decals F-106 Meng  and aftermarket decal F-102 from Microscale. Have also F-89 but  with F-89, the situation is ridiculous, Asademy has the wrong black color, the old Revell has the correct dark blue, but a small stencil U.S. Air Force size , and the new Revell has the correct colour USAF dark blue but the wrong colour U.S.Air Force black. Therefore, it's global problems and I did not declare any US interceptor per GB here, despite the fact that many models can be made simply out of the box, if not for this decal problem.

So you's know the problem, leave it unresolved as it is or look for the correct aftermarket decals for you's to decide.

Sorry if this isn't good news for anyone.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Serge, you raise a sad point, one that USAF '50s and '60s types lovers have struggled with for some time: very few kits and decal sheets give the various USAF and U.S. AIR FORCE titles in the correct Insignia Blue. Microscale/Superscale used to have a sheet with just these in the correct blue but it's long OOP and hard to find. I've seen others offering similar sets of decals but all in black.

I have worked ona sheet with blue titles sized for a number of types in 1/72 scale, but have yet to get it printed. One of the reason why I lagged behind is that while I can get the official sizes from the various issues of T.O. 1-1-4 and other documents, the correct sizes do not always loo correct on all models, as kits may have inaccuracy of one kind or the other. In any case I mean to keep working on it to cover a few types, including F-86D/L, F-100, F-101, F-102 and F-106... and I may add the Phantom

• Like 2

Have seen mention of this issue before but forgot about it. While the dark blue is very dark it isn't the black portrayed by many kit companies and I'm not sure many aftermarket decal sheets catch it either. Personally I think it is, as with everything in our hobby, down to personal taste how far each of us goes to correct or ignore this but as always forewarned is forearmed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Interestingly what from all my collection of US aircraft jet fighter , the correct dark blue stencils have decals F-106 Meng  and aftermarket decal F-102 from Microscale. Have also F-89 but  with F-89, the situation is ridiculous, Asademy has the wrong black color, the old Revell has the correct dark blue, but a small stencil U.S. Air Force size , and the new Revell has the correct colour USAF dark blue but the wrong colour U.S.Air Force black.

At best see once!

Old F-89 Revell:

20201112-135325.jpg

New F-89 Revell:

20201112-135346.jpg

Microscale F-102:

20201112-135539.jpg

20201112-135546.jpg

Best  difference in color is seen when compared dark blue "U.S. Air Force" and black "53372".

Microscale with wrong Meng compared: 20201112-135607.jpg

Hasegawa F-106:

20201112-135835.jpg

On all photo  (from mobile) different in colour less noticeable, but in reality it is more noticeable.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Microscale/Superscale used to have a sheet with just these in the correct blue but it's long OOP 

and hard to find. 

"Up-rice  decal" in all scale  available on the market:

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_100

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_101

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_102_106

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_104

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_105

, but You're right, the size is not always standard on some aircraft.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

but as always forewarned is forearmed.

😁

In fact, this is a cunning and insidious plan to eliminate the global dominance of US models in this GB! 😁😁🤑

Just kidding!

But in reality, if I manage to quickly complete this BI-1 flea, I plan to declare another non-serial interceptor of the USSR, because recently I had information that is not yet on the Internet (and which I will not publish) on the interior of the cockpit of this interceptor which the manufacturer did not have  ...  The interceptor is twin-engine, the interceptor has been launched, but it fits into the 25% rule as I think.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

...But in reality, if I manage to quickly complete this BI-1 flea, I plan to declare another non-serial interceptor of the USSR, because recently I had information that is not yet on the Internet (and which I will not publish) on the interior of the cockpit of this interceptor which the manufacturer did not have  ...  The interceptor is twin-engine, the interceptor has been launched, but it fits into the 25% rule as I think.

B.R.

Serge

Right, stuff the Capitalist Pigs and their funny coloured letters, let's see you getting this one done Serge! :D

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Right, stuff the Capitalist Pigs and their funny coloured letters, 

Yeah!!!!

"For the Motherland!"

20201110-141449.jpg

20201110-141333.jpg

"For Stalin!"

20201110-141627.jpg

😉

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Do not fear, I intend to build one of those fearsome Czech Gripen interceptors as initially aquired (i.e. cannon and Sidewinder only).

No Amraam in the beginning?

I though the air to ground capability was integrated only with the 2nd 10 years contract

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

No Amraam in the beginning?

Not according to this site:

http://afterburner.com.pl/fourteen-years-of-fourteen-gripens-in-the-czech-air-force/

As I read similar accounts elsewhere I am inclined to believe this information.

I am not even sure, if in the very beginning it wasn't cannons only as the Czechs didn't have any Sidewinder missiles, but someone may correct me on that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

"Up-rice  decal" in all scale  available on the market:

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_100

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_101

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_102_106

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_104

https://uprise-decal.ru/F_105

, but You're right, the size is not always standard on some aircraft.

😁

Thanks Serge, this is very interesting. I should drop Dimitry an email and ask for prices for a couple 1/72 sheets