Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

4 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

@Aardvark @Anatol Pigwa

Since you are far more knowledgable in this topic that me, I've got decals and etch conversion for the Czech MiG-21 MFNs used on the last QRA in July 2005 - but what loadout would they have had at the time? 2 or 4 R-60s perhaps and fuel tanks?

Czech Migs are nit my forte, but this link looks very promising (even if the pictures are missing): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjFzdGFzontAhXrsIsKHb3lAIgQFjARegQIGhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eduard.com%2Fout%2Fmedia%2F1199_TXT_EN.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2y1KPwhVS3Pkzy9xjr2Ug_

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Thanks, looks fascinating. With the Eduard and Jbr Decals sets I could probably model the entire Czech fleet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Threadbear said:

hello, can I enter this group build late in the day with a Spitfire VII? That`s an interceptor isnt it? 

Yes it is and yes you most certainly can :) 

Spitfires in general, as with any other fighter type, are eligible.

34 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Ok I'm in if that's ok with a Hobby Boss 1/14 F-14A Tomcat, will post a thread in the main section 

cheers 

That most certainly is okay. Welcome to the fun :D 

On 17/11/2020 at 12:56, Tim R-T-C said:

Thanks, looks fascinating. With the Eduard and Jbr Decals sets I could probably model the entire Czech fleet.

Now you've said it, you have to do it.  It's The Law!  :wicked: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/11/2020 at 02:55, Threadbear said:

hello, can I enter this group build late in the day with a Spitfire VII? That`s an interceptor isnt it? 

On 22/11/2020 at 07:54, Col. said:

Spitfires in general, as with any other fighter type, are eligible.

The Spitfire VII in particular was designated as a high-altitude interceptor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Spitfire VII in particular was designated as a high-altitude interceptor.

Yes, had a pressurised cockpit and extended wingtips for those operations against high flying Luftwaffe Ju-86s. 

• Like 1

Hopefully, you can squeeze me in. I should be able to focus on my MTO build this week, lagging a little with other commitments, and then finish up. Next project is to be a 1/48 Bulgarian MiG-21bis. Overtrees ordered from Eduard today. I think a nice subject for an Interceptors GB.

Ray

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hopefully, you can squeeze me in. I should be able to focus on my MTO build this week, lagging a little with other commitments, and then finish up. Next project is to be a 1/48 Bulgarian MiG-21bis. Overtrees ordered from Eduard today. I think a nice subject for an Interceptors GB.

Ray

A nice subject indeed Ray. We'll wait for you :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Col. said:

A nice subject indeed Ray. We'll wait for you :) 

Thank you Sir!

Plan is to do one of those nicely weathered machines from around the year 2000 like so:

BG MiG-21bis

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bulgarian_Air_Force_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21bis_Lofting-5.jpg

I became highly motivated to do the subject after a visit to Gabrovnitsa just last Saturday.  I was told operations finished here in 1998.

Gabrovnitsa Hanger

All quiet now, except for the herd of sheep just off camera. 

Gabrovnitsa Runway

Another build to look forward to.

Ray

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Plan is to do one of those nicely weathered machines from around the year 2000 like so:

BG MiG-21bis

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bulgarian_Air_Force_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21bis_Lofting-5.jpg

Can see why you're keen to do this one, there's a lot of interesting weathering effects going on there, do you have a suitable sheet of decals for it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

do you have a suitable sheet of decals for it?

In anticipation,  I ordered the Model Maker Decals "Bulgarian MiG-21 Last Flight" D48071 and the Linden Hill "Millennium MiGs" LHD48004. Should be able to make up something quite suitable from this group. If not, well, back to some hand cut masks. Final number still to be chosen.

By the end of their life, every aircraft seemed to have achieved a different level of colour variation, wear and fading. Lots of interesting subjects to choose from. 

BG MiG 21's in flight

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:01 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

@Aardvark @Anatol Pigwa

Since you are far more knowledgable in this topic that me, I've got decals and etch conversion for the Czech MiG-21 MFNs used on the last QRA in July 2005 - but what loadout would they have had at the time? 2 or 4 R-60s perhaps and fuel tanks?

I would say tanks outboard, R-60s inboard

dc6ae474b2c075b9e74eca609932519b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/6a/e4/dc6ae474b2c075b9e74eca609932519b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

In anticipation,  I ordered the Model Maker Decals "Bulgarian MiG-21 Last Flight" D48071 and the Linden Hill "Millennium MiGs" LHD48004. Should be able to make up something quite suitable from this group. If not, well, back to some hand cut masks. Final number still to be chosen.

By the end of their life, every aircraft seemed to have achieved a different level of colour variation, wear and fading. Lots of interesting subjects to choose from. 

BG MiG 21's in flight

Ray

Between that three machines there's a good variety of schemes and patterns. Hope you can find sufficient references to get one pinned down as they all look great B) 

On 11/17/2020 at 11:01 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

@Aardvark @Anatol Pigwa

Sorry, but I am mainly interested in planes in the paint of the country of the manufacturer of this plane.

Therefore, what was there in the Warsaw Pact I have no idea.

However, before this topic 😁, I had no idea that there are two different Su-17s ..... of course I did not,

yeah! 😁

As I wrote, Kazakhstani MiG-27s as an interceptor:

- in clear intercept role:

https://m.vk.com/album368455190_254704325?z=photo368455190_457248874%2Falbum368455190_254704325

https://m.vk.com/album368455190_254704325?z=photo368455190_457248879%2Falbum368455190_254704325

- not almost interceptor, but also with solid arsenal AIM:

https://m.vk.com/album368455190_254704325?z=photo368455190_457248876%2Falbum368455190_254704325

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

B.w.

does anyone know why this decal

https://www.hobby.dn.ua/hadmodels-had-72200-dekali-24vd-ubiitsy-ucheniya-load-diffuser-2008-p-94134.html

is called:

HAD 72200 decal Mi-24V/D « F-15 killer» (maneuvers

Load Diffuser 2008) ??? 😲

Hungarian Mi-24s shot down a massive F-15 in training air battles? 🤔 How low the F-15 fell in my eyes !!!😁😁😁

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, Anatol Pigwa said:

I agree with @Col. on this one, however you might want to get acquainted with the Peruvian Su-s if you realky want to go down this rabbit hole. Their Su-25 have been used to intercept narco flights, and there was an incident where an American C-130 was heavily damaged by a Su-22.

also the A-37B - I think was it Colombia maybe (edit: it was Peru) that used these to intercept drug cartel planes? There was some incident where one accidentally (?) shot down a Cessna with some missionaries in it thinking they were drug runners.

Weird fact is that a South African woman in my Chinese class in Beijing in 2007 told me her Dad was one of these pilots in South America who flew the drug interdiction missions (not the one with the missionaries). Amazing who you meet and where.

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Some great and very interesting subjects being covered in the GB, some that I would not have thought of, but unless I am mistaken we are missing a certain aviation icon. I shall have to rectify this, assuming its alright with you @Col. and there's space for one more.

Go for it :D 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, modelling minion said:

unless I am mistaken we are missing a certain aviation icon.

Craig,

Have I missed it? I am still waiting to see what you believe is the missing icon. For me, THE iconic interceptor is the F-102 Delta Dagger. 

Ray

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I've since started a Phantom build.

Very nice! Too many great subjects and not enough time in one life time to cover them all. I am really keen to build one of the Zoukei-Mura renditions. 

• Like 1