Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

11 hours ago, Ray B. said:

Flankers? I have Su-27, -33, and -35S kits in hand, and that -35S calls to me every time I see it on the shelf.

Flankers of various marks in fighter trim are all good :D 

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 7:19 PM, Col. said:

Who's up for a GB dedicated to interceptors? A celebration of types who's sole purpose has been to intercept and, when required, shoot down other aircraft.

Any aircraft type, missile system, or gun designed specifically or employed to bring down enemy aircraft including weather balloons and satellites.

Been thinking that we've had a lot of attempts at more inclusive GBs lately including a few of my own suggestions but they aren't gaining a lot of interest so how about something a bit more 'targeted' so to speak. Think of all the types that have flown designed for the kill: various US F-types such as the -86D/K/L, -89, Soviet Tu-128 and MiG-25/31, UK Lightning and Javelin... sure you get the idea :) 

1, @Col.

2, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3, @Valkyrie

4, @spaddad

5, @Wez

6, @vppelt68

7, @whiskey

8, @trickyrich

9, @Redstaff

10, @helios16v

11, @Jb65rams

12, @Dermo245

13, @franky boy

14, @Jabba

15, @Silver Fox

16, @PhantomBigStu

17, @Angus Tura

18, @Arniec

19, @MADMUSKY

20, @DaveJL

21, @CliffB

22, @Colin W

23, @MarkSH

24, @theplasticsurgeon

25, @Paul821

26, @Mottlemaster

27, @Hockeyboy76

28, @nimrod54

29, @Romeo Alpha Yankee

30, @Panther II

31, @exdraken

32, @Creepy Pete

33, @almac

34, @reini

35, @Erwin

36, @Kallisti

37, @Aardvark

38, @Back in the Saddle

39, @Dansk

40, @Mr T

41, @zebra

42, @FortyEighter

43, @Rui Silva

44, @rafalbert

45, @LostCosmonauts

46, @mackem01

47, @TommyF

48, @stevej60

49, @Bedders

50, @Matthew1974

51, @Shorty84

52, @Ettore

53, @Ray B.

With a month and a half to go before this one starts I get the impression it's going to be busy :D 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 5:12 PM, Ray B. said:

Found it. AK Real Colors to the rescue. Count me in!

Flankers to the fore! You're in Ray :) 

10 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Doesn't look like I've made the list, please add me in for some MiG-19P or IRIAF Tomcat action 😁

You've made the list now Tim and even more so with the promise of a MiG-19 :thumbsup:

I feel like a Group Build addict scared of going cold turkey !! I have a Vickers 432 that needs building which would suit my quirky nature. The 432 was an experimental Merlin engined interceptor that looked a bit like the Mosquito but had curious lobster claw shaped wings and was designed to have a pressurised nose that looked like the Wellington Mk VI. Its specification was to fly very high and intercept the high altitude enemy intruders such as the Junkers 86 P and R. Westlands were awarded the contract for their Welkin.

I tried making this quite a few years ago and turned a wooden fuselage plug down on a lathe - I still have the plug. A couple of years ago I bought the Kora kit and can use that to build the model from.

Experimental, but certainly designed as an interceptor. Would that be acceptable ?

Maybe someone else has suggested it as I haven't read the other 16 pages 

vickers_432

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I feel like a Group Build addict scared of going cold turkey !! I have a Vickers 432 that needs building which would suit my quirky nature. The 432 was an experimental Merlin engined interceptor that looked a bit like the Mosquito but had curious lobster claw shaped wings and was designed to have a pressurised nose that looked like the Wellington Mk VI. Its specification was to fly very high and intercept the high altitude enemy intruders such as the Junkers 86 P and R. Westlands were awarded the contract for their Welkin.

I tried making this quite a few years ago and turned a wooden fuselage plug down on a lathe - I still have the plug. A couple of years ago I bought the Kora kit and can use that to build the model from.

Experimental, but certainly designed as an interceptor. Would that be acceptable ?

Maybe someone else has suggested it as I haven't read the other 16 pages 

vickers_432

You're most welcome to join us with this one Adrian :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Can you add me to the list too please? I'll be building Eduard's 1:72 MiG-21PFM. Thanks!

With pleasure Jason :) Is that a 72nd or 48th scale example?

Please add me to the list too. Am thinking Italeri 1/48th JA-37 Viggen (a kit I was too scared to buy when it was ESCI!) however the 14th November start date gives me plenty of time to change my mind to something else in the stash 😉

If I go cool on the Viggen I would be looking at the McDonnell F-3H-2 Demon, the 1/48th HobbyBoss kit which I understand was operated as an interceptor, as was the F3H-2M version.

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

Please add me to the list too. Am thinking Italeri 1/48th JA-37 Viggen (a kit I was too scared to buy when it was ESCI!) however the 14th November start date gives me plenty of time to change my mind to something else in the stash 😉

If I go cool on the Viggen I would be looking at the McDonnell F-3H-2 Demon, the 1/48th HobbyBoss kit which I understand was operated as an interceptor, as was the F3H-2M version.

Michael

Oooh nice options there Michael :D 

If you do decide to forgo the Viggen I'm sure it'll be a great option for the second edition of the Nordic GB ;) 

The Demon will be a fine alternative in fighter trim and I think the 'M' in the -2M designation was for 'Missile'.

43 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

Ermmm... I left a clue in my post... 

'I'll be building Eduard's 1:72 MiG-21PFM.'

🤣

:doh:

It's been a long day but I'm not going to even try editing this out as it'll stand to serve as a warning to others that posts are best read before being replied to :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasonb13 said:

Ermmm... I left a clue in my post... 

'I'll be building Eduard's 1:72 MiG-21PFM.'

🤣

It's Col.....you need to keep it nice and simple for him!     :tease:

29 minutes ago, Col. said:

:doh:

It's been a long day but I'm not going to even try editing this out as it'll stand to serve as a warning to others that posts are best read before being replied to :lol:

Arrr don't worry I'm remind you of this......often! :D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Just fixed that for you.  Happy to help.  :smartass:

Gosh! Yes I am sure that is what I meant 🤣🤣  The Viggen looks to be a fairly straightforward build, after all the original ESCI kits were of their time and not too complex (except one of the paint scheme options), but I have looked several times at the HobbyBoss Demon and that is WAY more complex. Could well be a double build, just see how I feel on 14th November 😉

Michael

• Like 1

Well, the Javelin was definitely designed as an interceptor as the main mission it was designed to was to intercept Soviet strategic bombers. With the Crusader one could argue that it wasn't a pure interceptor although one of it's missions was Fleet defence which included intercepting Soviet bombers. So I guess both would be applicable (but of course @Col. has the final say).

In my (personal) point of view I would define an interceptor as an aircraft whose main traits are a high rate of climb to reach an potential enemy as fast as possible to fire some its guns or missiles at them and then retreat quickly. They are not designed for dogfights so maneuverability is not a design priority.

Of course this definition is not totally waterproof as any aircraft which "intercepts" others aircraft could be called an interceptor (which is the definition used for this GB) and there are aircraft types which evolved from pure interceptors to multirole fighters or fighter bombers (MiG-23, F-104).

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Done my best to appraise myself of what exactly constitutes an "interceptor". Would a Javelin or a Crusader tick the box? Thanks.

Yes to both of those when kitted out for the air-to-air role. So no ground attack munitions on your F-8 Crusader please Tony ;) 

While the Interceptor title may be a little misleading it was an attention-grabber headline for a GB that aims to cover anything designed with the capacity and/or used to shoot down enemy air/space craft. So anti-aircraft artillery on both land and sea, fighter aircraft, anti-missile systems etc.

• Like 2

This looks to become for me a year of modelling various German built aircraft (unlike other years, huh :hmmm:) - with an occasional P-51D, Brewster, DB tractor and a Lancaster finished too :laugh: - as I have two Bf 109:s, a Do 17, a Ju 87 and a Ju 88 already done; a Bf 110 and a He 111 as wip; a Fi 156 and some more Ju 88:s on the starting line. What better to top that off than building the Eduard FW 190 A-5 Weekend kit I have had in the stash for some years now? V-P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

This looks to become for me a year of modelling various German built aircraft (unlike other years, huh :hmmm:) - with an occasional P-51D, Brewster, DB tractor and a Lancaster finished too :laugh: - as I have two Bf 109:s, a Do 17, a Ju 87 and a Ju 88 already done; a Bf 110 and a He 111 as wip; a Fi 156 and some more Ju 88:s on the starting line. What better to top that off than building the Eduard FW 190 A-5 Weekend kit I have had in the stash for some years now? V-P

Whenever I think of the FW 190 a picture forms in my mind of one amidst a swarm of B-24 so that sounds a good option to me :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Col. said:

Yes to both of those when kitted out for the air-to-air role. So no ground attack munitions on your F-8 Crusader please Tony

Come to think of it the Javelin variant I have is the T.3. As a trainer it wouldn’t have been intercepting a heck of a lot.

I’ll have a look at the pointy bits on the Crusader...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’ll have a look at the pointy bits on the Crusader...

Given the Crusader was known as "The Last Gunfighter" I'm sure you're on to a winner there ;) 

• Thanks 1