Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

spacer.png

Just picked this up. Has decals to do three in your chosen nationality, so a quick alert diorama seems appropriate.

Might go Polish, just need to find some photos of them in quick alert positions for reference. (if anyone has any!?)

• Like 7

Hi Col

I've been away,  but I’m back. I’m in with a 1/48 Lightning, scheme TBC. 

Also would a two seat trainer version Lightning be accepted into the GB?

Dan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Hi Col

I've been away,  but I’m back. I’m in with a 1/48 Lightning, scheme TBC. 

Also would a two seat trainer version Lightning be accepted into the GB?

Dan

Just asked this - answer was yes. Full combat capability and most service squadrons had at least one on strength.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MiGFan79 said:

Just asked this - answer was yes. Full combat capability and most service squadrons had at least one on strength.

Excellent!

Dan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, klr said:

All going well, the old Hasegawa F-106 will be first on my list. I've had it for almost 30 years, I suppose I should build it.

145770-11185-61-pristine.jpg

Always good to see a long-term stash resident realise their potential :) 

• Like 1

I haven’t read all of these pages so apologies if it has been asked and answered but is an Angel Interceptor allowed?  

If so I’m in with either Airfix or IMAI kit. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigVern1966 said:

Big Bloodhound Mk 2 on the Market https://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

Oooh! :wub: Bit of a bank breaker at £250 but what a kit.

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

I haven’t read all of these pages so apologies if it has been asked and answered but is an Angel Interceptor allowed?  

If so I’m in with either Airfix or IMAI kit. 

No problem Rob, there's a lot to read through, your Angel Interceptor is most welcome within this GB :) 

Anything designed and used to intercept and/or shoot down air/spacecraft is eligible for this one. This includes items used in popular media as well as in real life.

A 'Top Gun' movie MiG-28? Yes.

A real 'Top Gun' school F-5E? That's good.

The Angel Interceptor? Yip.

Bloodhound missile system? Oh yes.

Ship-mounted SAM system? By all means please do.

Any 'paper-projects' which were given consideration but never made it off the drawing board? Sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Seafire was probably one of the Royal Navy's few pure interceptors although in later stages of the Pacific War and the Malayasian Emergency it was used as a fighter bomber. I've been making a bundle of them in the Spitfire//Seafire GB. So I'll be joining in with MkI or MkIII Seafire. Or perhaps both. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, 825 said:

The Seafire was probably one of the Royal Navy's few pure interceptors although in later stages of the Pacific War and the Malayasian Emergency it was used as a fighter bomber. I've been making a bundle of them in the Spitfire//Seafire GB. So I'll be joining in with MkI or MkIII Seafire. Or perhaps both. 

A couple of Seafire will always be welcome in this GB. Although obviously built in pure fighter trim rather than with any bombs aboard ;) 

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just found an old Tamiya Nakajima KI-44 Tojo in the stash, is this ok for this GB ?

I always think of this machine as intercepting B-29s over Japan and from what I understand that's what it was designed then employed to do so yes a good choice Pat :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’m in my first GB with the Vietnam one. Assuming that shows I can finish models in time I’ll join this GB.  It’ll be something from a FIS, probably in ADC gray.  Chris 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, arnobiz said:

I'm in with AMK's 1/48 Mig-31 B/BS if that's OK :)

Arnaud

A MiG-31 most certainly is okay Arnaud :D

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

I’m in my first GB with the Vietnam one. Assuming that shows I can finish models in time I’ll join this GB.  It’ll be something from a FIS, probably in ADC gray.  Chris 

To give most of the ADC FIS their due credit they proved grey doesn't always make for a boring scheme with their colourful markings.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this.  No confirmed choice yet.....but after discussion in the Vietnam thread, it's likely a Phantom of some sort.  I've got too many of them in the stash and it's time to get some of them built.  A 1/48 Bicentennial USN N or a pair of 1/72 USAF Spang Ds are currently the leading candidates.  Fortunately lots of time to waffle and deliberate before the commencement of activities.  :hmmm: 

• Like 2

I'm already in with a NOTSNIK F4D, a J35A Draken and a Meteor NF.12.

I'm currently toying with the idea of an F-102 from the 57 FIS based at Keflavik.  However, I'm thinking of ringing the changes and converting it to a TF-102. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:57th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_Convair_TF-102A-45-CO_Delta_Dagger_56-2367_1969.jpg

• Like 4

Just went and dug out the kits....the decals I was thinking of were for Lakenheath Ds, not Spangdahlem.  Though I did forget I was lacking instructions, so this will give me some time to track some down.  Good thing I decided to pull them out for a looksee.

50276695658_ccbc522b6a_c.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/9/2020 at 1:22 AM, Col. said:

A couple of Seafire will always be welcome in this GB. Although obviously built in pure fighter trim rather than with any bombs aboard ;) 

🤔😁....pure fighter....with any bombs aboard....this is: 

181815_900.jpg

182175_900.jpg

a most real true British Spitfire from all  Spitfire in the

World, as for my!

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Can the p-51 be regarded as an interceptor?

According to this quote from @Col. it should. 

No. Sod it. Let me narrow this back down and plead guilty to the charge of aircraft bias. The Wikipedia page @Corsairfoxfourunclehas linked covers my thoughts on the matter pretty well but in summary let me offer up this parameter:- 

Any aircraft type or missile system designed specifically or employed to bring down enemy aircraft including weather balloons and satellites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_aircraft

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 2

Now I can see that all these questions about eligible types are getting tiresome... but what about an RAF Hunter FGA 9?  The Hunter F1 - 6 would clearly qualify, but the FGA 9 was primarily a ground attack aircraft.  I would say an FGA 9 doesn't qualify (although it's barely any different to an F 6), but I'm asking as I have 1/32nd FGA 9 to build - so it's worth asking.  

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R