Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

On 27/08/2020 at 20:33, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm currently toying with the idea of an F-102 from the 57 FIS based at Keflavik.  However, I'm thinking of ringing the changes and converting it to a TF-102. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:57th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_Convair_TF-102A-45-CO_Delta_Dagger_56-2367_1969.jpg

Here we go:

spacer.png

Assuming that the TF-102A is eligible for this GB.  It was fully combat capable (which I intend to demonstrate with an open fully loaded weapons bay) but it just wasn't supersonic like the single seat version.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 12:18 AM, Dave_R said:

Now I can see that all these questions about eligible types are getting tiresome... but what about an RAF Hunter FGA 9?  The Hunter F1 - 6 would clearly qualify, but the FGA 9 was primarily a ground attack aircraft.  I would say an FGA 9 doesn't qualify (although it's barely any different to an F 6), but I'm asking as I have 1/32nd FGA 9 to build - so it's worth asking.  

Hawkers Hunter as interceptor closer in model Hawker P.1099:

hunter-7.jpg

(b.w. anybody know, who from aftermarket decal manufacture maked "Hawker Siddley" emblem in 72nd scale?)

but in fact, the line between a clean interceptor and a fighter is very small, because any fighter can use the "Strike  and run" tactic (as an example, during the WWII period, Harttman and Pokryshkin used such tactics, can we consider the Me-109 and P-39 interceptors  ? 😁) but not every interceptor can conduct a maneuverable  "dog-fight"!

Therefore, the clean interceptors should include those aircraft whose design is not adapted to maneuvering combat, due to the inability to withstand high G-forces and, in fact, is a platform for radar and missiles.🤗

Thus, only

Tu-128; F6D; YF-12; F-89; XF-103; XF-108; T-4P; Tu-22M3P; Tu-160P e.t.c

clean,  reference

interceptors can be classified as.

But given the fact that only Tu-128; YF-12A and F-89 was manufactured, 

all this GB would turn into a GB of three planes or a GB three planes + paper projects, 😁 which would certainly be a disaster for GB.😉

Therefore, GB host  have to expand the 

definition

of the interceptor concept on their taste.

😉

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, helios16v said:

Just went and dug out the kits....the decals I was thinking of were for Lakenheath Ds, not Spangdahlem.  Though I did forget I was lacking instructions, so this will give me some time to track some down.  Good thing I decided to pull them out for a looksee.

50276695658_ccbc522b6a_c.jpg

Are those the Hasegawa kit?

On 8/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, Aardvark said:

🤔😁....pure fighter....with any bombs aboard....this is: 

181815_900.jpg

182175_900.jpg

a most real true British Spitfire from all  Spitfire in the

World, as for my!

😁

B.R.

Serge

:cheers:

On 8/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, Dansk said:

Can the p-51 be regarded as an interceptor?

Yes...

On 8/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

According to this quote from @Col. it should. 

No. Sod it. Let me narrow this back down and plead guilty to the charge of aircraft bias. The Wikipedia page @Corsairfoxfourunclehas linked covers my thoughts on the matter pretty well but in summary let me offer up this parameter:- 

Any aircraft type or missile system designed specifically or employed to bring down enemy aircraft including weather balloons and satellites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_aircraft

...although the 'interceptor' title is perhaps somewhat misleading for our GB.

Given that the P in P-51 refers to Pursuit and at the time that differentiated the type from A for attack and B for bomber as well as being designed as a fighter your subject choice is eligible so long as you don't hang any ground attack munitions off it ;) 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, Dave_R said:

Now I can see that all these questions about eligible types are getting tiresome... but what about an RAF Hunter FGA 9?  The Hunter F1 - 6 would clearly qualify, but the FGA 9 was primarily a ground attack aircraft.  I would say an FGA 9 doesn't qualify (although it's barely any different to an F 6), but I'm asking as I have 1/32nd FGA 9 to build - so it's worth asking.  

Dave.

The F.1 to 6 marks of Hunter are, as with any other type, eligible so long as they are modelled in fighter trim. The same goes for the FGA.9 as the F in its designation marked it out as capable of undertaking the fighter role in the same way it does on the F-14, -15, -16, F/A-18, Sea Harrier FRS.1 and F/A.2 to name but a few other options. So long as the subject is modelled in a configuration suitable for the job of intercepting other aircraft be it in a combat or training setting then it's good for this GB.

Remember, however, this GB is also open to ground and sea based weapons designed to shoot down aircraft.

18 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here we go:

spacer.png

Assuming that the TF-102A is eligible for this GB.  It was fully combat capable (which I intend to demonstrate with an open fully loaded weapons bay) but it just wasn't supersonic like the single seat version.

Nice, not to mention unusual, subject choice Enzo. How old is that conversion and are you going with the markings displayed in your link?

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Hawkers Hunter as interceptor closer in model Hawker P.1099:

hunter-7.jpg

(b.w. anybody know, who from aftermarket decal manufacture maked "Hawker Siddley" emblem in 72nd scale?)

but in fact, the line between a clean interceptor and a fighter is very small, because any fighter can use the "Strike  and run" tactic (as an example, during the WWII period, Harttman and Pokryshkin used such tactics, can we consider the Me-109 and P-39 interceptors  ? 😁) but not every interceptor can conduct a maneuverable  "dog-fight"!

Therefore, the clean interceptors should include those aircraft whose design is not adapted to maneuvering combat, due to the inability to withstand high G-forces and, in fact, is a platform for radar and missiles.🤗

Thus, only

Tu-128; F6D; YF-12; F-89; XF-103; XF-108; T-4P; Tu-22M3P; Tu-160P e.t.c

clean,  reference

interceptors can be classified as.

But given the fact that only Tu-128; YF-12A and F-89 was manufactured, 

all this GB would turn into a GB of three planes or a GB three planes + paper projects, 😁 which would certainly be a disaster for GB.😉

Therefore, GB host  have to expand the 

definition

of the interceptor concept on their taste.

😉

B.R.

Serge

Perhaps it should have been titled the Fighter GB but the hazard of this was potential participants considering it an aircraft-only GB and robbing us of the opportunity to see some cool AFV and ship-borne subjects being included :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Are those the Hasegawa kit?

They are a pair of the Accurate  Miniatures...aka repackaged Monogram in all their raised panel line glory.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Perhaps it should have been titled the Fighter GB but the hazard of this was potential participants considering it an aircraft-only GB and robbing us of the opportunity to see some cool AFV and ship-borne subjects being included :hmmm:

Ships...now there was something that slipped my mind.  I do have a pair of guided-missile cruisers that I could pick from as well.  And one of them is even a @trickyrich approved resin kit.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

. robbing us of the opportunity to see some cool AFV and ship-borne subjects being included :hmmm:

But then this also interceptor:

30c99ace8cb4.jpg

M1911_A1_pistol.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_J._Baggett

Arseny Mikhailovich Etobaev
178689_900.jpg

179190_900.jpg

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Етобаев,_Арсений_Михайлович

Type of army - infantry (sniper)
 Years of service -1919-1930, 1941-1945
 Rank -  captain

"In October 1942 he was awarded the Order of Lenin for the destruction of 135 soldiers and 14 officers of the enemy.  In the period before 1943, he destroyed 356 soldiers and shot down 2 enemy aircraft.  During the breakthrough of the blockade of Leningrad, he participated in hand-to-hand fighting 4 times.  At the end of January 1943 he was seriously wounded and sent to the hospital for treatment, because of this injury, Etobaev was disabled.  He returned to service in 1944. In 1945 he was transferred to the reserve."
Total sniper score:
179730_900.png

Enemy aircraft score (He-111 & Ju-87):
180046_900.png

(from:
Top 8 Buryat snipers of WWII:
https://dambiev.livejournal.com/38559.html )

???

😉🤔

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice, not to mention unusual, subject choice Enzo. How old is that conversion and are you going with the markings displayed in your link?

The conversion set is from Xtraparts.  No idea how old it is, but the blurb on the Hannants site says that the injection moulded parts are by Pegasus, the vacform parts by Rareplanes and the metal parts are by Western Models.  Anyone care to hazard a guess? 

I will indeed be building the scheme shown in the link. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The conversion set is from Xtraparts.  No idea how old it is, but the blurb on the Hannants site says that the injection moulded parts are by Pegasus, the vacform parts by Rareplanes and the metal parts are by Western Models.  Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Sounds to have a proper mongrel pedigree about it :lol: 

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I will indeed be building the scheme shown in the link. 

Excellent! Including the wear and tear? :pray:

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

Including the wear and tear? :pray:

Gonna give it my best shot.

Really looking forward to this one.    I'm still building the NOTSNIK F4D though...   :) 

Edit:   and a J35A Draken, when the Draken was a pure point-defence interceptor before it evolved into a multi-role fighter. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Saab_J_35A-01.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings!  If possible, I would like to enter with the following kits in mind, all 1/48th (and all currently awaiting daylight in my stash).

- Revell McDonnell F-101B Voodoo

- Revell Northrop P-61B Black Widow

- Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Thank you for the opportunity to participate!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Gonna give it my best shot.

Really looking forward to this one.    I'm still building the NOTSNIK F4D though...   :) 

Edit:   and a J35A Draken, when the Draken was a pure point-defence interceptor before it evolved into a multi-role fighter. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Saab_J_35A-01.jpg

Cool. Three great subjects there :D 

2 hours ago, Matthew1974 said:

Greetings!  If possible, I would like to enter with the following kits in mind, all 1/48th (and all currently awaiting daylight in my stash).

- Revell McDonnell F-101B Voodoo

- Revell Northrop P-61B Black Widow

- Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Thank you for the opportunity to participate!

Another three great subject choices :thumbsup:

@Col. Im trying to figure out my build(s) for this. Im going with an AVG Tiger, but am looking at at least one other. Would a Hurricane IIc qualify ? Im not sure as I thought the IIc was more ground attack oriented but The hurricane was an Interceptor so ? My other choices are Meteor NF.13 in Israeli markings, FJ-3 Fury, Sea Vixen, Grumman F3F, Curtiss F9C sparrowhawk, or a Matchbox Hawker Fury (Bi-plane). Though Im still fighting the nervous tick the Airfix Bulldog gave me earlier this year. 

On 9/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, Shorty84 said:

Hi guys,

although my record of finishing something is abysmal at best I hope a deadline is pushing me into finishing a kit finally :D So I would like to enter the GB with an Lindberg XF-91 (1/48).

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Interesting and uncommon subject choice Markus :thumbsup:

On 9/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Col. Im trying to figure out my build(s) for this. Im going with an AVG Tiger, but am looking at at least one other. Would a Hurricane IIc qualify ? Im not sure as I thought the IIc was more ground attack oriented but The hurricane was an Interceptor so ? My other choices are Meteor NF.13 in Israeli markings, FJ-3 Fury, Sea Vixen, Grumman F3F, Curtiss F9C sparrowhawk, or a Matchbox Hawker Fury (Bi-plane). Though Im still fighting the nervous tick the Airfix Bulldog gave me earlier this year. 

Which colour scheme are you planning for your Hurricane Dennis? In night-fighter role the IIc certainly qualifies ;) 

All those other choices are good as well and I'm sure you'll find Matchbox' Hawker Fury about as easy as a biplane kit can be thanks to clever design. So while W.W.E.M.D rules say "build 'em all!" I'd be delighted to see you go with the Fury :wub:

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Col. said:

Which colour scheme are you planning for your Hurricane Dennis? In night-fighter role the IIc certainly qualifies ;)

I was planning on doing it in R.S.Tucks FM*A Z3152 from early 1941 with 257 Squadron. I ma consider the Hawker Fury as a 3rd build if I have time. It was a gift from a fellow modeler and I really should build it. Ive got to try rigging again as Ive got the WNW Albatros D.5a to build someday. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2020 at 09:47, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My other choices are Meteor NF.13 in Israeli markings, FJ-3 Fury, Sea Vixen, Grumman F3F, Curtiss F9C sparrowhawk, or a Matchbox Hawker Fury (Bi-plane).

Seriously?!?!?!  Do you really want to make me say it?!?!?!?  :wicked: 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Would the Black Bunnies from VX-4 also qualify? Since this is a testing and evaluation squadron?

I've no objections to test and evaluation, prototype and FSD machines, or special schemes, so long as they are examples of types that otherwise qualify for the GB :) 

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

May God have mercy on his soul.  :lol:

Don't worry I am a soulless creature mercilessly pursuing the GBs to complete their build on time and to the highest standard of quality, don't care much for the budget though - particularly if it's not my own.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello to All

I'll be in this nice GB !

Ettore :bye:

Welcome to the party :) Any ideas about which subject you will pick?

We have two months until our GB starts so still time to choose :bounce: