Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

Never tried a paper model before that would be different.The XF-103 is just good old fashioned heavy micropitted resin. NIce thing with the GB is I have plenty of time to research , plan, and plot how any ,or all will be constructed. Hopefully without losing the plot😜

• Haha 1

I've decided to go with the Airfix 1/48 Javelin, I looked at doing the Airfix 1/48 Lightning but have found the fuselage to be quite badly warped, I'll have a look at correcting it but for now the Flying Flatiron is the primary choice.

Mark.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Col. said:

Another fine choice of subject Tony :) 

If, as an aside, if anyone is considering the various types used in the 'Top Gun' dissimilar air combat training role such as the A-4 then they are good for this GB as well ;) 

Not agree about 'Top Gun' because key word

"training role".

But if anybody wants A-4 interceptor maybe he's pay attention to the New Zealand A-4K? 

8hWnqoj.jpg

How I know it's only one specific modification A-4 for intercept.

Also was Australia  A-4G 

800px-McDonnell_Douglas_A-4G_Skyhawk,_Au

modernized as an interceptor for the ability to carry out air defense of the fleet.

19 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Yes I hope so if time permits.Actually Col. I had a 3rd one though it didn't get past the mock-up stage an XF-103 Thunderwarrior A Collect aire I've been staring at on the shelf for ages looking for a good excuse to bring to the light of day. Idle hands as they say.

From Collect Aire maybe maked excellent model:

g12140_3563408.jpg

https://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=12140

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Col. said:

That's another fine option you have with the XF-103 as paper projects are also eligible within this GB.

I've heard that Collect Aire kits can be troublesome.  If it's doubtful that you can complete it within the GB timescale, there is an option.  They Also Serve runs for the whole year.  You could dedicate the build to the Anything But Injection GB. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:32 PM, Aardvark said:

Not agree about 'Top Gun' because key word

"training role".

But if anybody wants A-4 interceptor maybe he's pay attention to the New Zealand A-4K? 

8hWnqoj.jpg

How I know it's only one specific modification A-4 for intercept.

Also was Australia  A-4G 

800px-McDonnell_Douglas_A-4G_Skyhawk,_Au

modernized as an interceptor for the ability to carry out air defense of the fleet.

From Collect Aire maybe maked excellent model:

g12140_3563408.jpg

https://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=12140

B.R.

Serge

Paint it white and we are back at the Angel Interceptor again from Captain Scarlet which loaded the pilot from underneath!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, Andwil said:

I have a couple of Airfix Lightnings in the stash so I’d like to join the fun with at least one of them.

AW

And if I can get it/them finished in time I also have a couple of Me-163 Komets in the stash.....

AW

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

And if I can get it/them finished in time I also have a couple of Me-163 Komets in the stash.....

AW

That would make for an interesting comparison of solutions to the interceptor requirement if you do get the four done :) 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, Col. said:

That would make for an interesting comparison of solutions to the interceptor requirement if you do get the four done :) 

You about, All four Me-163:

- Me-163A

- Me-163B

- Me-163C

- Me-163D

?????

😉😁

If seriously, it's really interesting comparison evolution Me-163, 

but this comparison very difficult maked, because no good and accurate Me-163A

(Aerodrom/Condor/Special Hobby - wrong) also no not only good model Me-163D, no any real view Me-163D, only poor photo with case.

And ofcource comparison evolution Me-163 was not fully without Ju-248/Me-263, but this type also have many questions with drawings.

B.R.

Serge 

P.S.

I talk as owners:

- Me-163A Condor;

- Me-163B Academy; 

- Me-163C Special Hobby 

- Me-263 Broplan/Special Hobby/MicroMir

😎

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

You about, All four Me-163:

I was thinking of a pair of Me-163 in comparison to a pair of English Electric Lightning as two very different and yet similar solutions to the same requirement hardly 20 years apart :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Col. said:

I was thinking of a pair of Me-163 in comparison to a pair of English Electric Lightning as two very different and yet similar solutions to the same requirement hardly 20 years apart :) 

I know, but can I make a joke?

😉

The thing that Lightning and Comet have in common is that they are both interceptors, but there are a lot of differences.

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I know, but can I make a joke?

😉

The thing that Lightning and Comet have in common is that they are both interceptors, but there are a lot of differences.

B.R.

Serge

Ah, of course Serge, and all four versions of the Komet as well if you wish ;) 

2 hours ago, TommyF said:

Really like the idea of this GB - I have a couple of Japanese WW2 interceptors in mind - very much up for it.

Cool. I've added your name to the list :) Still 8 months to go before we start so plenty of time to pick a particular subject... or add more to the stash :D 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Col. said:

and all four versions of the Komet as well if you wish ;) 

Sorry, but no!

After 2014 I do not want to visualize the achievements of the Nazis in technology on my part, besides the creation of the accurate Me-163A from Aerodrom/Condor/Special Hobby is a very hard, difficult and time-consuming task.

Me-163B from Academy at the best, especially with photoetched, 

Me-163C from Special Hobby requires effort and some work with hands in cockpit and ski bay for best results. Real view Me-163D unknown.

Agree, there is a big difference in the interpretation of this single photo:

me163d.jpg

with Japan side:

me163dv1_3.jpg

and with A.L

. Bentley:

163DGA.jpg

Recourse:

https://www.albentley-drawings.com/drawings/german-aircraft/messerschmitt-163/messerschmitt-me163d/

Of course A.L

Bentley famous and and an authoritative expert, but his interpretation of the Me-163D is so monstrously ugly that it is hard to believe in it.

And as you may see on drawings 

A.L

Bentley not a small window after canopy, but this small window you may see on photo real Me-163D!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

8 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Sorry, but no!

After 2014 I do not want to visualize the achievements of the Nazis in technology on my part...

That's fair enough Serge. Our hobby is not good if we cannot enjoy it and find discomfort in the subjects we choose.

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

...besides the creation of the accurate Me-163A from Aerodrom/Condor/Special Hobby is a very hard, difficult and time-consuming task.

Me-163B from Academy at the best, especially with photoetched, 

Me-163C from Special Hobby requires effort and some work with hands in cockpit and ski bay for best results. Real view Me-163D unknown.

Agree, there is a big difference in the interpretation of this single photo:

me163d.jpg

with Japan side:

me163dv1_3.jpg

and with A.L

. Bentley:

163DGA.jpg

Recourse:

https://www.albentley-drawings.com/drawings/german-aircraft/messerschmitt-163/messerschmitt-me163d/

Of course A.L

Bentley famous and and an authoritative expert, but his interpretation of the Me-163D is so monstrously ugly that it is hard to believe in it.

And as you may see on drawings 

A.L Bentley not a small window after canopy, but this small window you may see on photo real Me-163D!

Bentley does make the 163D look as if Wile E Coyote bought it from ACME to chase Roadrunner in the cartoon :hmmm:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

That's fair enough Serge. Our hobby is not good if we cannot enjoy it and find discomfort in the subjects we choose.

This is somewhat different.  I believe that for yourself you can do anything in your home, but when you exhibit it on the Internet, at the exhibition you show that it is permissible and in this way you legalize it, you translate it into the category of ordinary things.

Why is this dangerous?  Here comes the model store dad with his son, in order to buy the first model for the child. Suppose they want to buy something from the WW2 period.

What do you think the child is most likely to choose if they are offered R-51, Spitfire, IL-2 and Flying Disk Hannebu II from Luft'46? I think that the child will choose a flying disk, because it looks unusual, like a super-weapon, but not like all these Mustangs, Spitfire and IL-2.

Of course, this does not mean that this child will certainly become a nazi in the future, but there will be nothing wrong with nazism, because as an adult he will remember his dad and how they built this Luft'46.  That is, the goal has been achieved and for this child and many of these children the legalization of nazism will take place and they will no longer see anything wrong with this. 

This is my personal opinion.

But of course, maybe I just have old-fashioned beliefs.

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Bentley does make the 163D look as if Wile E Coyote bought it from ACME to chase Roadrunner in the cartoon :hmmm:

😁😁😁

Absolutely agree!

After very aerodynamic clean Me-163C and not so clean but in its elegant Me-263, 

Me-163D from A.L.Bentley look as some kind of misunderstanding, FrankenComet some kind.

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

I'm in for this,

Two F-15 Eagles (A and C),  and an F-4D-1 Skyray, to choose from.

My first choice build has changed to a Hasegawa Lightning F6 that I've just acquired.

Hasegawa-Lightning-F6.jpg

Blasting off from a blurred runway, with gear part way though the retraction cycle is the look I've got in mind.

See you all in November,

I'm also intending to be able to compare this build, with more recent Hasegawa and Revell offerings - and that from Frog!

Those kits in the quote, still remain in my stash.  Reserving the right to build more than one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My first choice build has changed to a Hasegawa Lightning F6 that I've just acquired.

Blasting off from a blurred runway, with gear part way though the retraction cycle is the look I've got in mind.

See you all in November,

I'm also intending to be able to compare this build, with more recent Hasegawa and Revell offerings - and that from Frog!

Those kits in the quote, still remain in my stash.  Reserving the right to build more that one.

The Lightning is always a great first choice regardless of how good all the others on you list may be :D 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

changed to a Hasegawa Lightning F6 that I've just acquired.

See you all in November,

But Hasegawa/Revell re-pack & FROG/Revell re-pack it's twins brother!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I have a beautiful  !/48 Tamiya F15A in the stash so add me to the list for this one please!

Welcome aboard Steve :) Although I'm sure your F-15 will be first project of many ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I have a beautiful  !/48 Tamiya F15A

First! First! In early camouflage blue FS 35450*/ Gloss blue FS 15450* and white  fin code! 😍

* - may mistake with number FS.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

This has possible already been asked, but does the MiG-21PFM qualify for this?

Thanks!

Yes it does. So long as you don't hang any bombs under it ;)