Interceptors GB Chat

Col.

6 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I am interested in this GB. With what? I haven't got a clue jet.

Maybee a Mig-31?!

Cheers

A MiG-31 would certainly be a good choice but plenty time yet to make up your mind and add something else to the stash Arnold ;)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Col. said:

Excellent. Glad to have you along Alan. Any thoughts on potential subjects?

Col.

Many thoughts but all based on these:

Interceptor Books 190528 (2)

The book on the left I bought in 1984 and it inspired a now very sadly broken down Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1 in 1984. I could repeat that for the "...when I was a kid" GB idea were it not for the fact that I was 21 in 1984! That book is still an inspiration for many of the models I want to build in my declining years/retirement. It is nonetheless, and in spite of the subject matter, written to be one of the dullest books I have ever read,

On the right is a book I bought last year. It is quite a good read. It is a bit photo-deprived but does have good detail on everything that ever flew from Drem.

Taking the two of these together makes me think about 91 Squadron Spitfire XII and XIVs.

Alan 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Col.

Many thoughts but all based on these:...

...Taking the two of these together makes me think about 91 Squadron Spitfire XII and XIVs.

Alan 

Looks as if you've got some great inspiration there Alan. Hopefully Airfix will finally have their XIV out by then to allow both of your Spitfire projects :) 

Col,

I'm thinking of 1/72. I bought a Sword XIV some time ago. The Xtrakit XII is not easy to find, so I snapped up an under-the-table one I saw at, I think, the Newark show last year.

When I bought the "Interceptors" book in 1984 there were hardly any half-decent kits of these planes and now there is hardly anything in that book that you can't get as an injected kit. If you like resin I think you could probably get every prototype and mock-up too. 

Alan

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, Angus Tura said:

Col,

I'm thinking of 1/72. I bought a Sword XIV some time ago. The Xtrakit XII is not easy to find, so I snapped up an under-the-table one I saw at, I think, the Newark show last year.

When I bought the "Interceptors" book in 1984 there were hardly any half-decent kits of these planes and now there is hardly anything in that book that you can't get as an injected kit. If you like resin I think you could probably get every prototype and mock-up too. 

Alan

The Sword kits seem to build into a nice model with a little effort but not heard anything about the Xtrakit Spitfire. Hopefully we'll get to watch your progress on both during this GB.

There's certainly plenty choice of kit subjects these days. As @Enzo Matrix says, a Golden Age for modellers.

Count me in, hopefully complete this group build this time . Going with the UKs  designed "Interceptor" another Lightning,  Maybe another Leuchars machine.

Another Lightning  to build 😀

20190524_165326 (1)

Sword T5, Aeroclub F1A, Airfix F3 still on the bench.

Darren

Edited by MADMUSKY
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MADMUSKY said:

Count me in, hopefully complete this group build this time . Going with the UKs  designed "Interceptor" another Lightning,  Maybe another Leuchars machine.

Another Lightning  to build 😀...

Sword T5, Aeroclub F1A, Airfixfix F3 still on the bench.

Darren

Always room for another Lightning in this GB and hopefully in your display cabinet Darren :D  That's a nice trio you have going on there :speak_cool:

2 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Suppose I could chip in with an AIM-54 armed F-14 ... 😋

That's a grand plan Dave :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Me too please Col.  Probably with something Japanese WWII.

In 100th scale perhaps Cliff? :speak_cool:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Col. said:

In 100th scale perhaps Cliff? :speak_cool:

Predictably, yes :winkgrin:

I've been looking for an excuse to build this.

P1100690.jpg

It features the option of an all-metal, sprung-loaded, retractable u/c assembly - for added play value !:pilot: 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

It features the option of an all-metal, sprung-loaded, retractable u/c assembly - for added play value !:pilot: 

Please, PLEASE, tell me you're including that working feature in your project! :wub: 

• Like 2

Hi Col,

Please sign me up for this. I was wondering last week about some kind of Anti Aircraft GB involving ZSU23/4, SAM 3, Rapier, Bloodhound etc. I have quite a few of these and they never seem to make it to the top of the pile. Your suggestion seems to be a wider opportunity to involve the tracked community with vehicle mounted systems as well as the aircraft builders. 

Colin 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Col,

Please sign me up for this. I was wondering last week about some kind of Anti Aircraft GB involving ZSU23/4, SAM 3, Rapier, Bloodhound etc. I have quite a few of these and they never seem to make it to the top of the pile. Your suggestion seems to be a wider opportunity to involve the tracked community with vehicle mounted systems as well as the aircraft builders. 

Colin 

With great pleasure Colin. I'd be delighted to see some of the dedicated SAM and AAA systems included within the GB and if there's any models of a figure carrying a ManPADS that would be fantastic!

Gosh only 22!!!

Come on Guy's & Gals I have a MiG-25 (still to buy) or MiG-31 I need to build!!!  

I reckon none of the Lightning lot have seen this GB post yet, I would have expected it to be overflowing with them! I need something for my MiG's to shoot down!

In a moment of complete madness I may even build a 1/48th Tarangus JA-37!!! (I'll blame the Rum for that promise!!!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

In a moment of complete madness I may even build a 1/48th Tarangus JA-37!!! (I'll blame the Rum for that promise!!!)

No balls.  :wicked:

I'm assuming Tarangus extended the fuselage for the JA kit?  If so...I might have to keep my eyes out for one of those as well.  :wacko:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeap, there's a 2-3mm plug you fit in the fuselage join, all the Tarangus (and Special Hobby probably too) models come with that bit and the correct tail as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

yeap, there's a 2-3mm plug you fit in the fuselage join, all the Tarangus (and Special Hobby probably too) models come with that bit and the correct tail as well.

Damnit.  :shutup:

I've seen the different tails packed in the SH kits...now I'm wondering if that "plug" is on the sprues as well.  Sounds like a cause for further investigation.  :hmmm:

Edited by helios16v

yeah its on a seperate sprue along with the gun pod and cockpit for the 2 seater version, and that extra fin behind the main one.

Sort of wonder why they included this sprue in? For the JAS/JASF/JASH versions??

Also meant you'll have twice the fuselage fit issues with the JA version!

• Haha 1

Nothing a "little" putty can't fix.  :wicked:

I'm probably just too stupid to know better.  The Vigi still hasn't instilled a fear of "problem" kits.  I seem to see them merely as a challenge to be accepted.  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Please put me down for this. It’ll be either a 1/48 Javelin or Frightning.

Cheers,

Mark. 

With great pleasure Mark :)