PRU 'Deep Sky' colour on Spitfire XIX?

Johnson

Looking at the Fred Spring scale drawing for the Spit XIX, the overall colour of one of the planes (W*6C, PM655) is specified as 'Deep Sky'.

Not having heard of it before, searched Britmodeller and Googled it, and got a reference to the underside of export Hunters:

Anyone know if it was actually used on post WW2 Spit XIXs?

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by Johnson
typo

It is a frequently modelled aeroplane, being on a nice Freightdog sheet. and one of the kit options on the Fujimi kit. Fujimi and Freightdog both have it as the usual PRU Blue and I have never seen evidence suggesting why it would be anything else. 

• Like 2

Worth keeping in mind that the commercial "deep sky blue" as used on the Hunter and the WW2 MAP Deep Sky don't have anything in common, apart from being blues.

PM655 was the subject of several pictures, of which Dave has linked two nice ones. Even considering all the dangers of interpreting B/W pictures, all the ones I've seen are IMHO compatible with the standard PRU Blue finish.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

the usual PRU Blue and I have never seen evidence suggesting why it would be anything else. 

Quite agree.

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Even considering all the dangers of interpreting B/W pictures, all the ones I've seen are IMHO compatible with the standard PRU Blue finish.

I'd always assumed PRU blue. I'm (slowly) modelling RM645/Z, which is labelled PRU Blue, and PM655/W*6C appears on the same scale plans as 'Deep Sky', a colour I'm unfamiliar with, being mostly interested in WW2. Fred Spring's plans seem well researched and I wondered how he came to the conclusion that the later Spit XIX was a different colour.

10 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Not always as tatty

For a modeller, always worth bearing in mind!

Thanks everyone,

Charlie

I guess "Why did Spring say this weird thing" is a question you would have to ask him rather than us!  Whenever someone makes an assertion as fact that a specific aircraft was very visibly non-standard for its use, unit and timeframe, it's really incumbent on that person to provide some explanation and evidence for their opinion.