Minicraft DC-8’s.

TBC

Anyone here up to speed on the various boxings? I’m interested in knowing which DC-8 versions can be built from the different kits. And correct me if I’m wrong, but they never came out with RR Conways in any of them. Thank you.

As far as I'm aware the Minicraft DC-8 has been issued as the -63, -71 and -73 and you're right that they never issued it with Conways. I'm not a DC-8 expert but by cutting down the fuselage, altering the wings as required and using aftermarket engines from BraZ Models or Contrails Models it should be possible to produce most variants. F-RSIN used to make engines too but they aren't available at the moment. I don't know of any currently available Conways but others may.

Search Britmodeller for "DC-8". There are lots of threads about conversions. This and this may whet your appetite - there's plenty more.

In case you aren't aware of it S&M Models are currently selling bagged Minicraft DC-8s with no decals but with both sets of engines.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

As far as I'm aware the Minicraft DC-8 has been issued as the -63, -71 and -73 and you're right that they never issued it with Conways. I'm not a DC-8 expert but by cutting down the fuselage, altering the wings as required and using aftermarket engines from BraZ Models or Contrails Models it should be possible to produce most variants. F-RSIN used to make engines too but they aren't available at the moment. I don't know of any currently available Conways but others may.

Search Britmodeller for "DC-8". There are lots of threads about conversions. This and this may whet your appetite - there's plenty more.

In case you aren't aware of it S&M Models are currently selling bagged Minicraft DC-8s with no decals but with both sets of engines. 

Hope that's some help

Dave G

To add to Skodadriver's comment, the fuselage in this version of the kit is clearly marked on the inside where it needs to be cut to form either of the two shorter versions.

Mike

Dave has some good references and recommendations. The second link is quite good, however I can't find the completion of that particular WIP. Draw Decals in the US is selling the bagged kits with no decals and all engine types as well, including a set of Braz JT3Ds. The MC kit is outstanding, for sure...most certainly for variety in choices as to what you'd like to build. I am currently working on a DC-8-61 using the Authentic Airliners JT3Ds, which will require some minor surgery to make them fit to the wings correctly. My experience, though limited, with the MC kit has been pure pleasure. Everything fits beautifully, or with little effort; the plastic is sturdy enough, and the detail is quite good. At first I was not impressed with the wheels, but with PE parts they are shaping up nicely. When completed, she'll be a fine build. I'm certain you can find plenty of these outstanding kits at retail sites, as well as some on eBay that are reasonable. There are PE parts available through Hannants, Braz JT3D engines, and metal landing gear struts (though not necessary; the model isn't that heavy). A word of caution if you use the Braz engines; the over wing fairing does not fit easily and requires a lot of forming and putty to make a correct join to the pylon. The MC kit wings are designed to take underwing pylons only; the JT3Ds as found on the -61 and -50/51 require the over wing fairing. The Braz engines fit perfectly into the molded slots with no surgery; the AA engines require cutting slots into the upper and lower wing halves to make fit, as the over wing fairing is already molded in. Have fun! I don't meant that sarcastically...seriously! Have FUN!

On the subject of the Minicraft wings, have a look at post 14 in this thread. I forgot to mention the wing issue in my earlier post. It's the one potentially significant problem with the Minicraft DC-8 although it seems to vary from kit to kit.. 

Dave G

In addition to above info.. The main landing Gear is a wider track on the -62 and -63 ( so both the -72 & -73 did too). They had a new wing. -61s used the -55 wing ..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bzn20 said:

The main landing Gear is a wider track on the -62 and -63 ( so both the -72 & -73 did too). They had a new wing. -61s used the -55 wing ..

Is there a fix for that or can one live with it, I'm intending to do an Air NZ -52 from one of these kits?  Any info/links welcome.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

one of these kits?

DC-8-71 . The DC-8-55 has a stronger structure (can't see it though ! ) from the DC-8F Jet Trader Freighter ,takes a bigger payload than the previous -52 ,-53 and -54 and again ,can't see the difference.

The-61 is just a longer -55 . The other 2, super 62 and 63 is more, much more work

Just dug a DC-8 book out

To answer the question in short, well it isn't really .. Minicraft -71... The -71 is a -61 with CFM56 engines and diff pylons.  A -61 is a longer -52,53,54 and 55. Those wings were modified for the CFM56 engines, Forget the 62 and 63 far to much work. 

The -61 engine pylons were changed and so the leading edge modified too for  the CFM56 , you'll have to change those 4 pylon attachment/leading edge areas for your -52. Do a Google image search to see also to be safe.

If you can get a set of DC-8 P&W JT3D-3B engines and pylons, just shorten the fuselage, modify the leading edge in 4 positions..... U/c is the same, wing span the same.

Hope that's it !

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Hope that's it !

So shorten the fuselage & swap the engines. The kit comes with JT3Ds, though how good they are I don't know, it's still bagged, like most of my stuff, a project. :(

Steve.

41 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

So shorten the fuselage & swap the engines. The kit comes with JT3Ds, though how good they are I don't know, it's still bagged, like most of my stuff, a project. :(

Steve.

I don't know how accurate the JT3Ds are BUT they are moulded integrally to the longer pylons as used on the Series 62/63 ie I think that you can build one of those OOB.

For a Series 50 or 61 the original pylons were a different shape and had a small section which is above the wing.  Braz BZ4093 is currently out of stock but would make building a Series 50 or 61 fairly easy - I'm thinking of a Swissair DC8-53 from my kit.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

For a Series 50 or 61 the original pylons were a different shape and had a small section which is above the wing. 

Thanks Mike, best I dig mine out & take some notice of it.

Steve.

I've always wanted to do an Air Spain DC-8 20. These are very early DC-8s with the original pylon shape AND pure turbojets with a funny ring placed some distance behind the jet exhaust. The ring was supposed to act as a sound suppressor but my memory of these DC-8s is that they were pretty noisy (and very smokey too).

• Like 1

I've had a look at the kit & as I understand it, the engines are the later JT3D-7 (?). It seems like Braz do a set which are out of stock in most regular outlets but show on Braz's website as available. I've not used Braz before but from those who have/do & are conversant with the way they work, does this mean Hannants & others are likely to get restocked or would I be best advised to buy from Braz?

Steve.

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The kit comes with JT3Ds

Have I got confused ? What kit have you got ?

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

JT3D-7 (?).

JT3D-B3 are on all -50 series and -61 . Never heard of a JT3D--7 but that doesn't mean much if I have or not really. If there is it might not look different ,it's what's inside the engine that's changed to give it a different dash number

The bagged kit that Draw decals & S&M are selling, with the JT3-? & CFM-56 engines in it, I think its for the DC-8-63,71 & 73 but the JT3s are definitely not like the earlier -52 & 61 engines. Like this & this from what I can see on the sprues.

Steve.

That Kam Cargo is a 63CF with.. wait for it... JT-3D-7 engines with an increase of 1000 lbs of thrust each and only on the heaviest DC8 , the - 63 , -62 still had the JT-3D-3B with Bypass duct moved  ! I had to look in my book about those new to me -7 donks. More or less the same engines but cleaned up cowlings and moved and new pylons ,more aerodynamic. I imagine there were some of the other engine's bypass duct / turbo compressor intakes maybe/ services shifted to achieve  a reduced diameter and also a cleaner/smoother surface . They looked amazing when they came out and polished NMF.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Have I got confused ? What kit have you got ?

My kit is the one without decals (from S&M) - #14512B

The instructions label the engines as JT3D-3B which according to Wiki (yes, I know!) are correct for Series 10 thro 62.  It lists the 63 as having JT3D-7 with an extra 1000lb thrust.

My Douglas book (Robbie Shaw - Osprey) agrees except to say that Series 61/62/63 could also be specified with CFM56 engines when they were 71/72/73.

Mike

18 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

71/72/73

CFM56 wasn't an option this was the only engine for the Retrofit conversion from original build Super 60s to the Super 70s years after build.

-10  JT3C not all converted,

-20 JT4A not all converted ,

-30 JT4A not all converted .

-40 Rolls Royce 2 stage Conways  (same as 707-420 series... VC10 has 3 stage Conways) a few converted to -50 and first batch of DC-8s for...Trans Canada airlines (Air Canada) , Canadian Pacific and Alitalia .

-50 JT3D  Off the drawing board

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

The instructions label the engines as JT3D-3B which according to Wiki (yes, I know!) are correct for Series 10 thro 62. 

Thats the same as I have but on the sprues they look like the later engines, it may be (likely) I don't know what I'm looking at but at least I know I can get the right ones from Braz if need be, I'll go back & do some more checking. I admit to being out of my comfort zone with these but am picking up info all the time. :)

Steve.

Can you show a sprue shot or of the engine profile? 

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Series 61/62

Not the 61.. That had original -55 JT3D-3B engine cowlings and the pylons that went just over the  top (wrap around ) of the leading edge , those on the sprue go to the underside -62 and -63 style. Heres a pic of a Air Canada -61 showing a good shot of the Pylon wing attachment and "dirty" cowlings go down a bit.

https://www.tailstrike.com/050770.htm

• Thanks 1