Vulcan B1 please help

Anyone who has built a Vulcan B1 in 1/72 from the Airfix kit, or in 1/144 from the GWH kit.... How??? How do I go about converting one? I know of the Flightpath conversion set, but it looks like a lot more work is needed. Has anyone got, or knows of, a guide to converting one, or a thread comprehensively detailing the build?

What other modifications would be needed in a Vulcan B1 that aren't covered in the conversion set?

Same for the straight early wing production aircraft? 

I'm just desperate to build a Vulcan B1...

Edited by Adam Poultney

The Flightpath set is actually quite comprehensive, and should give you most, if not all, of what you need for a 1:72 B.1A. I have a half-built conversion packed away in the Warehouse of Doom waiting for me to get my finger out and finish it ... I'll have a look later today and if I have anything with it that may be of use to you I'll get back. You'd have to modify the conversion's leading edges for a B.1. I can't help you in 1:144 - not my scale.

• Like 2

The Flightpath conversion is just about complete and I would recommend using this as they have done all the hard work.

I have this on my list of conversions to do but haven't started it, hopefully soon. 

I look forward to seeing your Vulcan conversion.

There was a step by step article covering this in good old SAM, including scale drawings. Would have to dig but I‘d say some time between 84 and 88. IIRC there’s an online index for SAM that should get you to the required issue.

On 24/05/2019 at 02:33, Daniel said:

Is this the right place to say we need a new tooled Vulcan!?!

Dan

Any place is the right place!

I'd love a new Vulcan kit.... Even more so if it was a b1 or b1a

Ok so seems that the flight path kit the way to go with this conversion. But how would I do the intakes? Also where can I find all the data to accurately rescribe the kit for a vulcan b1/b1a? I've never actually bothered rescribing before as raised panel lines don't bother me that much.

I've found my conversion - not where it was supposed to be, but that's another story.

The Flightpath instructions are quite comprehensive, and include details on how to modify the various Airfix bits, including the intakes, to make a B.1/1A. I don't have any references other than that, but I've been able to get mine to the point where it's almost ready for paint. I should stop faffing around and finish it!

18 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ok so seems that the flight path kit the way to go with this conversion. But how would I do the intakes? Also where can I find all the data to accurately rescribe the kit for a vulcan b1/b1a? I've never actually bothered rescribing before as raised panel lines don't bother me that much.

For re-scribing you want to be looking for something like this?

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

On 5/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, Adam Poultney said:

'm just desperate to build a Vulcan B1...

Hi Adam

As I guess you already know this, but for the benefit of anyone who may not, Mikro Mir have said a Vulcan B.1/A in 1/144 is to be released under the AMP brand.  No mention of current status or release date but should look good beside their just released Victor (K.1 / K.1A)  bomber (B.1 / 1A) to follow.

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Hi Adam

As I guess you already know this, but for the benefit of anyone who may not, Mikro Mir have said a Vulcan B.1/A in 1/144 is to be released under the AMP brand.  No mention of current status or release date but should look good beside their just released Victor (K.1 / K.1A)  bomber (B.1 / 1A) to follow.

Rich

Yep, can't wait for that! I'll be getting quite a few

Edited by Adam Poultney

Thank you to everyone who sent in instructions. I think I understand the basics of how to convert one now. The intakes look to be somewhat..... challenging as I won't be able to use seamless aftermarket ones, and my current Vulcan B2 gave me enough trouble there as it is. Any advice on doing the intakes better?

I've never done any conversions using resin parts other than some Forgeworld Warhammer 30k (Horus Heresy) models a few years ago (didn't require much surgery at all), nor have I actually done much rescribing at all, only repairing panel lines after sanding down seams. It's increasingly looking like I'm trying to bite off more than I can chew at the minute, although I did just get an Airfix Bf-109 G6 and Spitfire Mk.IXc in 1/72 which could both do with new cockpits (and maybe a resin engine for the Spitfire), so I can get a bit of practice there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

this thread is now kind of redundant as since I made this I've done three Mk1 Vulcan conversions from various drawings, but the more conversion reference material I have, the better. I've already got another a Vulcan kit ready to convert to a B1.

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Thank you Neil, will have ganders when I get home!

I think with the new kit coming out, there will be more options to modify the old kits in the stash.

Yes, I must confess that my old B.2 is likely to go under the knife.

• Like 1