Painting 1/24 scale female figures...

Andre B

Hi,

One of my friends asked me about how to paint 1/24 scale female figures such as those made by Master Box...

http://www.mbltd.info/figures/1-24-scale/spaceport/24052.html

She was curious about how to paint lace on chlotes, fishnet stockings etc in such small scale.

As I never have built or painted such figures I didn't have any clues concerning painting lace etc.

Is there any experiences or advise to get? I remember those Airfix figure kits of British Queens with fantastic dresses and lots of lace. Was it possible to paint those figures according to instructions/boxpictures?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Now that's a good question.

Careful masking then spraying a translucent layer of paint through something like a fine mesh, supported just above the surface?

I hope someone with far more skill than I will be along soon.

Morning André,

what I will start by saying is this is second hand information.

It came to me from the Gent who used to paint the test shots for the Phoenix Phollies range, back in the '80's. Have a look here:- http://www.art-girona.com

then type into the search bar (top right) 'Phoenix'.........NB **** NOT WORK FRIENDLY!! **** it will give you an idea, also worth looking at the Pegaso range.

His 'trick' was to mask out the figure when painting the 'Nylons' and then use layers of highly thinned paint. He used brushes, but you could use an airbrush,

if you intend to use a stencil type arrangment for a design on the stockings. The lace you can treat the same as any Napoleonic uniform lace and tassle arrangement. 

One thing to remember is that female skin is more 'pink' than the male, so high and low lights aren't needed as much, and need to be more subtle.

HTH

Paul

Addendum: the above was achieved with oils and enamels, no acrylics available back in the '80's!

André @Andre B, my suggestion to your friend is have a go, acrylics are forgiving and easy to clean off if anything goes wrong.

• Like 1

Painting translucent clothing has both of us experiences of. But when it comes to lace and fishnet it is much harder when it comes to smaller scales...

Cheers / André

My approach, although I work on much larger scale figures.

I would paint the stocking first (obviously), then for the lace or filigree pattern I use either of two options:

1: For a simple pattern, hand draw the pattern onto each stocking with a mechanical pencil then go over that penciled pattern with a micron pen. (Steady hand is required else it will look like the seamstress has Parkinsons disease)

or

2: Design your pattern in PS or MSPaint, then print it onto transparent water slide decal paper. (Much more accurate pattern wise, however you can have trouble with the decal not settling in the hollows behind the knee and such. Mr. Mark Softer can help alleviate some of this issue. If you are using an inkjet printer, remember to seal the decal before putting it water, unless a blotchy tie dye look is what you are after)

If you end up with a gloss finish on the applied decal, a spray with a semi gloss (the material stockings are made from usually has a slight sheen to it) clear with fix the problem.

Edited by Crayons
  • Like 1

The fine mesh/fabric ('tulle' fabric comes with a small mesh pattern) stencil is something to consider, but of course assumes that an airbrush is available. You might be able to reproduce the effect with spray cans?

I did this to a 1/32 harness off a Messerschmitt, and was reasonably happy with the result.

5a7bi8e.jpg

JJbaEtO.jpg

Mart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Giving away my fetishs here.

The thing about fishnet is that you don't need to be that far away for them to look like sheer nylon.

So I'm not sure you should be trying to reproduce fishnet at this scale.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, nheather said:

Giving away my fetishs here.

The thing about fishnet is that you don't need to be that far away for them to look like sheer nylon.

So I'm not sure you should be trying to reproduce fishnet at this scale.

Cheers,

Nigel

It's depends on the size of the fishnet...

Cheers / André