Early Canberra PR9 underwing patches (antenna?)

David Womby

I see some photos on the web of built up models of Canberras (including PR9s) with a rectangular dark patch under the wing between the nacelle and fuselage aft of the wheel well.  Some have it under both wings - for example XH171 on display at Cosford.  The panels are black or faded black that looks brownish.

I am modelling an early PR9 with silver paint scheme from 1963.  Do I do one or two of these and does anybody have their dimensions, please?

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

Hi David...

The B2's I worked on had a single panel, not sure which side. This was a dielectric cover over the Green Satin Doppler radar aerial.  Later versions of Canberra had Blue Silk radar instead. This equipment  gave true speed and angle over the ground... made navigation easier and more accurate.  Maybe versions with 2 panels had a twin fit, would make sense in PR where navigation was more critical.  

Size wise rectangular panel approximately 2x4ft ( I think....but it was in the late 70's, so my memory might be off a bit)

Hope this helps

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:39 PM, David Womby said:

I see some photos on the web of built up models of Canberras (including PR9s) with a rectangular dark patch under the wing between the nacelle and fuselage aft of the wheel well.  Some have it under both wings - for example XH171 on display at Cosford.  The panels are black or faded black that looks brownish.

I am modelling an early PR9 with silver paint scheme from 1963.  Do I do one or two of these and does anybody have their dimensions, please?

Thanks,

David

Hi David

You're good to go with two doppler aerials, as DaveH says 4x2 foot sounds about right but I'll check that later. 

John 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DaveH said:

Hi David...

The B2's I worked on had a single panel, not sure which side. This was a dielectric cover over the Green Satin Doppler radar aerial.  Later versions of Canberra had Blue Silk radar instead. This equipment  gave true speed and angle over the ground... made navigation easier and more accurate.  Maybe versions with 2 panels had a twin fit, would make sense in PR where navigation was more critical.  

Size wise rectangular panel approximately 2x4ft ( I think....but it was in the late 70's, so my memory might be off a bit)

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi David

You're good to go with two doppler aerials, as DaveH says 4x2 foot sounds about right but I'll check that later. 

John 

Thanks, John.   I'll live with 2x4 as you and Dave suggest.  It looks right.

5 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

There was also a further aerial on the forward part of the port flare bay door as shown on my photo of XH168 over my house in Paola Malta in the sixties :-  HTH

Dennis

Thank you, Dennis.  What a completely stunning photo.  I am actually modelling XH168 but in 1963 when she was with 58 Squadron and, a) because she was newer then, plus b) because my painting/weathering skills are just not up to it: I am modelling her much cleaner than in your photo!!!!   I will, however, at least make sure those antenna are painted sort of fibreglass looking and not just black 🙂

David

@David Womby David I found this photo of 'your' PR.9 when she was with 58 Sqn unfortunately XH168 is the one furthest from the camera! The the extra aerial on the flair bay door appears to be the Radio Altimeter Mk.7B. but as yet I've not found a photo of an early PR.9 with one fitted? I can't say when the mod was introduced.   

spacer.png

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1