Kitty Hawk 1/48 Lockheed F-94C Starfire

Here's my latest built: Kitty Hawk's 1/48 Lockheed F-94C Starfire in Caracal decals. The finish is Bare Metal Foil and Mr Color paint. The nose and wingtip tanks are Uschi van der Rosten polishing powder over Mr Color gloss black. It's my second attempt at foiling, and better than the first, but still means a lot of compromises. An extensive build article detailing the kit and my faults is here: https://jonbryon.com/kitty-hawk-1-48-lockheed-f-94c-starfire/

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking

Jon

f94c_44.jpg

f94c_60.jpg

f94c_55.jpg

f94c_43.jpg

f94c_47.jpg

f94c_36.jpg

f94c_41.jpg

f94c_50.jpg

f94c_40.jpg

f94c_56.jpg

f94c_38.jpg

f94c_58.jpg

f94c_48.jpg

f94c_26.jpg

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CaracalModels said:

It is a beauty - you should be proud of it. I hope you enjoyed using the decals.

Yes, very much. I'm now starting GWH's T-33A and will be using your decals for that too :)

Jon

Loving the look of that, ‘shiny’ just doesn’t do it justice. That’s some finish, both the foil and the painting.

What foil did you use, it looks beautifully thin?

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :)

9 minutes ago, Alan P said:

What foil did you use, it looks beautifully thin?

Alan

This is Bare Metal Foil Chrome. Some of it is their old stuff, and some their 'new improved'. The latter is less shiny and has more of a texture, but is thicker and easier to apply.

I have used kitchen foil before:

Cheers

Jon

• Thanks 1

Ah, Chrome, okay. I used their Aluminium before but never on a whole model. I think I got a bad batch, as you mentioned in the build article, it went a bit crumbly!

Might be time to reconsider trying again...

Thanks v much,

Alan

• Like 1

That is a very impressive Starfire!

The foiling has worked much better than your previous F-80C however that was still a good looker by the time you finished it. It looks as though using the Bare Metal product has helped and next time I decide to torture myself I will give that a try based on your experience with this kit. I think you also played a smart move by choosing a paint scheme where some of the more difficult areas to foil were painted red!

The Caracal decals look good too.

Nice job!

Michael

• Like 1