What Could've Been...Here's to the Losers GB (halfway there!)

On 5/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, helios16v said:

That would be a grand one.  A piece of aircraft history I always forget about.  They made at least 1 functional prototype, and they the attempt to acquire sales through the US & UK was made...though no contracts signed so it never made it into active service.  Let me know if you'd like to be added as an interested party.

:thumbsup:

Six of the Arrow prototypes made it into the air and the first Mk. 2, with the intended Orenda Iroquois engine, was well advanced  when the programme was killed off.  The RAF had also expressed an interest in the type and it would certainly have given the Javelin and its thin-wing derivative a very good run for their money.  Could the thin-wing Javelin also be a contender for this GB?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Six of the Arrow prototypes made it into the air and the first Mk. 2, with the intended Orenda Iroquois engine, was well advanced  when the programme was killed off.  The RAF had also expressed an interest in the type and it would certainly have given the Javelin and its thin-wing derivative a very good run for their money.  Could the thin-wing Javelin also be a contender for this GB?

From what I found on a quick check the thin-wing Jav never made it to an operational prototype before the project was cancelled, so I'll have to go with no on that one...unless you have a reference showing it made it to an operational prototype status.

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Steve, in case you missed it, a RNZAF F-20 would be a go now if you were so inclined.

Yes I had, I guess you better put me on the list. Thanks for the rethink & thanks @Rob S & @trickyrich for your support for this, I couldn't not now. :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

RAAF RF-4E anyone?  :wicked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II_non-U.S._operators

In 1972 the United States offered to sell the leased aircraft to Australia. Earlier, the Americans had offered to sell 48 aircraft, including RF-4Es if the RAAF had cancelled the F-111C. On balance, the F-4 would need to be supported by eight Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers to achieve the endurance required in Australian service with in-flight refueling, making the whole package uneconomical compared to the F-111C with its greater range. Also, acquisition of the Phantom would have required disbanding at least one Mirage squadron in order to provide the necessary aircrew (No. 82 Wing's aircrew were to be converted to the F-111). The F-111C program was resumed in December 1971.[5]

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Interesting, I did not realised the RF-4E was in the mix, I would entertain that build!

Would you like me to add you as an interested party Ray?  No commitment required of course as there is no guarantee this will make it through...and even if it did we have no idea what the dates would be anyways.

Some fun Swiss options.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Swiss_Air_Force

1972 (additional Hawker Hunters selected)

A-7G Corsair II 

Late 1970s (F-5 Tiger selected)

F-4 Phantom II 

Mirage F-1 

Viggen

Hawker-Siddeley Harrier 

Fiat G.91Y

A-4N 

Mid '80s to early '90s (F/A-18 selected)

Rafale

Mirage 2000

IAI Lavi

F-20 Tigershark

JAS-39 Gripen

F-16 Falcon

• Like 2

Some losers in the Multinational Fighter Program Group selection process to replace the F-104 in Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, and Norway.

https://planken.org/rnlaf/f-16-fighting-falcon

- (Y)F-17

- Mirage F.1

- JA37 Viggen

European F-104 Replacement

The governments of Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, and Norway had begun to consider possible replacements for their Lockheed F-104 Starfighters. They formed the Multinational Fighter Program Group to select a successor. The most likely candidates were the Northrop YF-17, the Dassault Mirage F.1, the SAAB JA37 Viggen, and the General Dynamics YF-16. The winner of the Air Combat Fighter (ACF, as the LWF was later designated) contest would probably be the favored candidate, but the MFPG wanted to see if the USAF was going to be interested in the plane for itself before they made a decision. The European countries wanted a decision from the USAF by December of 1974.

On January 13, 1975, it was announced that the YF-16 had been selected as the winner of the ACF contest. The USAF then placed a contract for fifteen Full-Scale Development airframes.

Edited by helios16v

On 6/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, helios16v said:

Would you like me to add you as an interested party Ray?  No commitment required of course as there is no guarantee this will make it through...and even if it did we have no idea what the dates would be anyways.

Sure why not, there were 14 initial contenders for the RAAF Mirage replacement project, some interesting options in that lot as well.

• Like 1

Heres another that seems to be forgotten about. The Sea Vixen. It was offered for the RAF but rejected by them and went to the FAA. So, how about a Vixen in RAF finish ... any probable squadron markings would look good on your 48th or 72nd (Sea) Vixen FGR,1   onwards

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 9:40 PM, stever219 said:

I would love to build an Avro Arrow. But found out that finding a decent 1/72 wasn't that easy. I hope Airfix or Tamiya one day understands this and give as an new kit to build.

An all white F-14 would have looked impressive in canadian markings...

Cheers / André

On 6/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, Paul J said:

Heres another that seems to be forgotten about. The Sea Vixen. It was offered for the RAF but rejected by them and went to the FAA. So, how about a Vixen in RAF finish ... any probable squadron markings would look good on your 48th or 72nd (Sea) Vixen FGR,1   onwards

That one would be a go.   :thumbsup:

Let me know if you'd like to be added to the list (no obligations). 

• Like 1

@helios16v - With the Jetstream back in the Airfix catalogue this year - and the value of the one in my stash about to fall - would an OOB build in USAF colours be acceptable, it seems to meet your criteria. If so I would be happy to have my name added to potential participants.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, Paul821 said:

@helios16v - With the Jetstream back in the Airfix catalogue this year - and the value of the one in my stash about to fall - would an OOB build in USAF colours be acceptable, it seems to meet your criteria. If so I would be happy to have my name added to potential participants.

Sorry to the delay in response, I've been away for the weekend. 

Looks like a go to me, I'll get you added.  :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Jetstream

In order to improve sales prospects in the US, the fifth prototype was fitted with the US-built Garrett TPE-331 in place of the French Astazou. Changing to the US-built engine was enough to allow the United States Air Force to consider it for cargo use. It eventually placed an order for 11, fitted with a cargo door and accommodation for 12 passengers or six stretcher cases, to be known as the C-10A, or Jetstream 3M. The US Air Force cancelled its order in October 1969 citing late delivery.

Edited by helios16v

Some other potential could've been F/A-18A/B/C/D Hornet operators...

- French Navy

- Austria

- Chile

- Czech Republic

- Hungary

- Phillipines

- Poland

- Singapore

- Thailand

- Greece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F/A-18_Hornet

The F/A-18C and F/A-18D were considered by the French Navy (Marine Nationale) during the 1980s for deployment on their aircraft carriers Clemenceau and Foch[106] and again in the 1990s for the later nuclear-powered Charles de Gaulle,[107] in the event that the Dassault Rafale M was not brought into service when originally planned.

Austria,[108] Chile,[30] Czech Republic,[108] Hungary,[108] Philippines,[108] Poland,[108] and Singapore[30] evaluated the Hornet but did not purchase it. Thailand ordered four C and four D model Hornets but the Asian financial crisis in the late 1990s resulted in the order being canceled. The Hornets were completed as F/A-18Ds for the U.S. Marine Corps.[30]

The F/A-18A and F-18L land-based version competed for a fighter contract from Greece in the 1980s.[109] The Greek government chose F-16 and Mirage 2000 instead.

Edited by helios16v

Some of the losers in the Finnish F/A-18C/D selection process.

- F-16A MLU

- SAAB Gripen

- Mirage 2000-5

- MiG-29

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_fighters/f18_18.html

On May 16, 1992, Finland announced that it had selected the F/A-18C/D Hornet to replace the entire front-line Ilmavoimat fighter force of two SAAB J-35 Draken squadrons and one squadron of MiG-21bis fighters. The Hornet won in a flyoff against the F-16A MLU, SAAB Gripen, Dassault Mirage 2000-5, and Mikoyan MiG-29.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...