Another Airfix 1/72 Vulcan - Quite An Unusual Project

Quite a long post:

Recently, I got another Airfix Vulcan; a second hand one that has been built. It has painted in anti flash white- in my opinion the best vulcan scheme...... well maybe half camo with a black radome is just as good.... Vulcans just look great.

It appears to have been originally built gear down, but has been rebuilt with gear up. I bought it with the intention of fixing up the model and bringing it to the standard of my other kits.

Quite a bit of work needs to be put into repairing or replacing the rebuilt parts, and getting new bits like one of the pitot tubes which is missing. Some parts I can get from spares in my other Vulcan kit (currently building it), and some need to be bought from aftermarket or gotten from someone who hasn't used said parts.

My rebuilding of the kit will hopefully bring it back into a gear down configuration, but I'm yet to open up the wheel wells to see what state they're in and if this is even feasible. If not, then she'll just be rebuilt gear up. Another thing I might do is replace the 301 jetpipes with 201s, but as the model is built it may not be doable, and the paintwork would probably need entirely redoing. Around that area if I did that... Any advice there?

I'll get some photos later.

List of parts I think I will need so far:

Full set of gear doors

Full set of landing gear

Crew entry hatch

Blue steel missile fin - GOT ONE

Right pitot tube 

Olympus 201 jetpipes

Possibly aftermarket wheel well sets (?)

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More parts needed:

Left ECM plate

Decals for anti-flash vulcan (I will be repainting her, I will probably just buy a set)

Possibly a new refueling probe, but I'll probably just model a vulcan before they were added

• 3 weeks later...

What's the best way to clone parts for repairing models? I decided that I think the best approach is to make a new set of landing gear doors, pitot tubes, and other antennae on the aircraft from the ones my other kit (these parts haven't been attached yet because I need to use them to make new parts).

Resin casting would be the way to do it but it wouldn't be worth buying resin and mold rubber for the few parts you need. I haven't tried it yet, but you can make a simple mold from normal bathtub silicone and make the parts using epoxy. I'm told the slower setting epoxy is better so you have more time to get it in the molds. I tinkered briefly with it and the 5 minute stuff worked ok, just make more often if needed. Have to get it the in the small molds quickly. Or if you know someone who has resin on hand get them, certain ones have a shelf life. I know Smooth-on does.