Thinning/cleaning Enamel paints ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

I've sprayed enamels before but curious what the collective thinking is better for thinning and cleaning. Im going to be spraying Model master Fluorescent red soon on a model ? I have always used enamel thinner ? But since i came back from my hiatus, i have only just used Mineral spirits. While researching i came across a few entries about using generic or Tamiya Lacquer thinners (beige/yellow cap), to thin and clean. Has anyone used Lacquer thinner for enamels and what is your opinion about the two any differences, negatives, or pro's ? Any and all answers are thankfully received.

Dennis 

Since learning how to airbrush, back in the Dark Ages when I had to grind my own pigments and provide my own air, I've always used a 50-50 mix of mineral spirits and lacquer thinner for spraying and 100% lacquer thinner for cleaning my airbrushes. I use generic mineral spirits and xylol from the hardware store with Humbrol, Xtracolor, and White Ensign enamels.

• Thanks 1

You may find that lacquer / cellulose thinners causes fluorescent pigment to congeal in to a rubbery blob. It does with our fluorescent orange anyway, which I learned the first time I went to spray our tin lids.

Generally the stuff does a good job on cleaning out enamel from airbrushes though, but it's not universally compatible with everything that may find its way into enamel paints.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You may find that lacquer / cellulose thinners causes fluorescent pigment to congeal in to a rubbery blob. It does with our fluorescent orange anyway, which I learned the first time I went to spray our tin lids.

Generally the stuff does a good job on cleaning out enamel from airbrushes though, but it's not universally compatible with everything that may find its way into enamel paints.

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't sprayed any fluorescents in so long I can't remember who made them — probably Floquil, and for that I always used their Dio-Sol thinner.

I did a brush test after posting this question yesterday. I found both my mineral spirits and Tamiya lacquer thinner both worked. Though it seems the Tamiya was just a slightly better finish once it dried. Either way i plan on doing more testing with everything, before i spray the combo through a $220 dollar Iwata ?  

Dennis

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

One to look out for: Bartoline Low Odour White Spirit also turns Humbrol and Colourcoats enamels into a glutinous mess. It's fine for cleanup, but nothing else.

Hmmm. And here I thought that "white spirit" was what our British cousins called "mineral spirits." Plain ol' hardware store mineral spirits have always worked for me. Must be the low "odour" additive that causes the trouble.