Flashing while waiting to download photos - cacheing issue?

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

The problems viewing pics on the tablet were both on Travelodge wi-fi (which I admit is generally pretty naff!)

Oh god yeah!  I'd mark that one down as understatement of the week.  Travelbodge and Premier Inn both have dee-readful Wi-Fi, which I've experienced enough for it to stick in my mind :owww:

And I absolutely hate Travelodge as well for only giving 30 mins free wi-fi and then making you pay for the next 24 hours worth! It usually takes 5 minutes of the 30 to actually log on...!!

It’s happening to me too on a few threads. I have pretty good WiFi and I’m using an Apple iPhone. 🤔

John

this thread I was just looking at has problems loading on the most recent pages.

Edited by The Spadgent

I'm seeing two problems now, both resulting in no image comming through, but a file name on a grey ground.

1) The one mentioned by The Spadgent above - which eventually shows text "spacer.png" on a grey field.  No links.

2) Images, presumably hosted at https://postimages.org/ are not comming through either, but are linked to that site.

Two threads, by different members with the same issue.

Another user has mentioned a similar problem in the "Tim's Airfix Tiger" thread here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235055197-tims-airfix-tiger/&tab=comments#comment-3362879

As I mentioned earlier, I'm on a wired PC.

Mike I've been having this problem in Nigel's thread for some time and assumed it was Photobucket.

This morning I had the same problem in Bill's threads here and here. He's using Postimg.

I'm on a very fast fibre connection.

My Mac (Safari 12.1.1.1) also occasionally reports that the webpage is using excessive resources.

Nice feature if it worked, but as others are saying it's making browsing the forums a bit hit and miss. Is it image size or is it a timeout when the hosting site doesn't respond quickly enough? If I right click and 'open image in new tab' the hosting site doesn't respond…

• Like 1

I still get a bit of the flashing once in a while. It's never too long, just a flicker or two on some posting. It's not enough to be a concern to me.

Chris

OK for me too, now… I have no idea why it's sometimes irritating and sometimes fine. I would guess it's a server load issue somewhere?

7 hours ago, CedB said:

OK for me too, now… I have no idea why it's sometimes irritating and sometimes fine. I would guess it's a server load issue somewhere?

Last few evenings I've been getting blank grey boxes when pics load starting at around 5 pm for a couple of hours - internet rush hour....?! 

Keith

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CedB said:

I'd imagine that's exactly what this is, but having been watching our server load carefully since we moved to the new server, it's got LOADS of grunt, and never uses more than a few of its 40 threads (20 cores, 40 threads).  I think most, probably all of this is due to traffic and load on the image hosts, not at our end.  I've checked over all the

On 03/06/2019 at 23:27, The Spadgent said:

this thread I was just looking at has problems loading on the most recent pages.

This one's loading lickety-split for me.  The file sizes are good too, so it's most likely traffic.

On 04/06/2019 at 02:21, Robert Stuart said:

2) Images, presumably hosted at https://postimages.org/ are not comming through either, but are linked to that site.

Two threads, by different members with the same issue.

Another user has mentioned a similar problem in the "Tim's Airfix Tiger" thread here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235055197-tims-airfix-tiger/&tab=comments#comment-3362879

As I mentioned earlier, I'm on a wired PC.

Tim's Tiger is also coming through ok, but for a 600x480(ish?) image, they're quite large at 170kb, so maybe @theplasticsurgeon might want to consider a different method of preparing his pics for the site?

Hubba's pictures are also fine, and coming through quickly for me today.  He's also optimising them well, so they're smaller than Tim's, despite having more pixels.

On 04/06/2019 at 06:50, CedB said:

Mike I've been having this problem in Nigel's thread for some time and assumed it was Photobucket.

Nigel's pics are slow, but not too large, but this is Photobucket, and I expect it's probably a free(ish) account, so those will be the first to get throttled if there's a rush on their servers.

Basically, we're just now able to see how slow or otherwise some hosting sources are, whereas before you'd possibly skip past photos that hadn't loaded, oblivious to their existence unless you scrolled back up.  I'm pretty confident that it's not this end, and that the forum software isn't to blame at this stage.  Also, don't forget that there are certain busy times on the 'net, so you have to bear that in mind too.  There are a LOT of people using it these days, so when a big country wakes up, it affects everything.

In case you didn't see the thread about Grammerly botching posts, turn that off when you're browsing Britmodeller for the time being, as it's interfering with the post editor.  There's an update available today that's a maintenance update fixing that bug and some others, which we'll be applying shortly once it's been around for a few days :)

• Like 2

I have not experienced any of the said problems above. I do, however, seem to have been adopted by a cat who used to live up the street but now thinks our house represents more suitable accomodations…. and you lot think YOU have problems... 

oh I also have problems with mz kezpad as zou can see. It seems to disagree with Brexit or something as it wants to be a French or German pad but with English preferences.

Ok. so did anz of the above make sense...

49 minutes ago, McNab said:

I have not experienced any of the said problems above. I do, however, seem to have been adopted by a cat who used to live up the street but now thinks our house represents more suitable accomodations…. 

That happened to us 10 years ago. He's still here. And the house two doors down has two new kittens, one of which thinks our cat is his new best mate and follows him into the house just about every time we let ours in....and you think you have problems. They've only just begun....!!

• Haha 1