Flashing while waiting to download photos - cacheing issue?

Hello

I'm having an issue with some photos on this site - I think I've narrowed it down to new posts with several larger images.

When I first see some posts with images, there is a grey panel that flashes until the image comes through.  Right clicking and viewing the grey panel leads to single pixel .png image.

Once the images have come through, the problem goes away.  The problem is intermittent, and I'm guessing it relates to the first viewer and caching?

FWIW, the flashing is a greater concern than the grey panel.

• Like 1

I've had it as well

All the older images on the posts load up fine, but the newer images from the last week or so just seem to flash for ages before loading, never had the issue with the old server, they always loaded up straight away

Ian

Ditto to the flashing grey box, which also happens with images in members' ''signatures''.....  and ditto to @Alan P's post. A

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I thought this was going to be a totally different thread, to be honest...🤣

you are not the only one!

• Haha 1

here too.  Worse on pages with lots of photo's - takes forever and that flashing is just a right PITA

I have to go an visit another thread and then come back a few minutes later to see if the photo's have got up off their backside and actually loaded. 

There's a couple of threads I just gave up on trying to look at it was so annoying/slow

I'm finding some topics that I'm giving up on unread, as they never seem to load for me no matter how long you seem to wait or go back to, I thought it was just me, but apparently not

On long running posts I can go back to the old content straight away, but the new content in the same posts you either get flashing grey boxes, the lines where pictures should be or occasionally grey boxes with an X in the top left corner that won't download at all

I've had the same issue on my laptop, phone and works PC so browser shouldn't be an issue as they are all different 🤔 in fact the whole site seems slower to me in general

It's quite nostalgic at times, just like the old dial up days of internet 🤣 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A short play entitled "Technical Support" by I M A Codemonkey

Mike: This lazy loading feature is causing picture load issues for many of our users

Invision Help Droid Mk1: They are stupid humans, they are using it wrong

Mike: Um, how exactly are they using it wrong? All they're doing is opening the page in a current web browser

Invision Help Droid Mk1: There are no current browsers, your technology is obsolete, we Droids project directly into each others positronic brains using quantum photons

Mike: I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

Invision Help Droid Mk1: That is because you are an inferior incompetent human like the rest of your species and doomed to  die soon through global warming.

Mike: Thanks a lot, you;'ve been most helpful

Invision Help Droid Mk1: Then I have failed in my primary mission

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, colin said:

Also if you back click at times it just locks up.

Mine doesn't do that, but when I back click, it will like as not, take me back two pages instead of one, so therefore, I quite often end up back at Google.

I hlget the same. Don't  care what its called don't like it. Things were OK before the changes. 

Just my opinion 

Steve

• Like 1

Not had any real problems on the laptop at home, but trying to browse aircraft RFI forum on a tablet on hotel WiFi is absolutely hopeless, no pictures loading in any topic after waiting 2 to 3 minutes.

Given it up as a bad job.

Keith

Edit - just went to the 72nd aircraft forum to check it wasn't the tablet or WiFi, and photos load instantly there. Just tried the aircraft wip forum here, and still no pics loading

Morning update - just tried browsing rfi again, still on tablet but using daughter's Sky fibre broadband, and after waiting 4 minutes for a pic to appear I gave up again.

I do wish developers would properly test their "upgrades"  before releasing them!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Haven't noticed 'flashing' as such, more a brief flicker before the grey panel is replaced by an image...

I'm wondering whether there's an element of this that could be attributed to an issue with people's bandwidth if they're accessing on Wi-Fi?  Previously, you would be waiting for a while  for the page to load, the new method loads up the page in a snap, and you then notice when the pics are loaded in later as you scroll down.  I'm not trying to make excuses and will raise this with support in case it's a known issue and I'm talking rubbish :)