Mauve Fairey Delta 2

Doccur

Good evening,

I am embarking on the interesting mission of a 1/72 Fairey Delta 2 and wish to portray it in the guise of when it had just broken the absolute air speed record. This is a peculiar colour. I wondered if some of the more knowledgable modellers here might be able to help as I can’t seen to pin the shade of colour down that I I’ll need to paint the model. See below photos for reference :

FD2

FD21

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 2

Not an expert however there was some passing mention on this thread and perhaps Nick Millman might be able to show some light on that "God-awful purple for Farnborough. We were never told why; some whizz-kid corporate type, we believed." as Edgar so nicely put it.  

Also look up Bill Dyes article on the net (I wont mention H-scale) where he does a mauve one and discusses the paint mix.

Hope that helps

regards

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Not an expert however there was some passing mention on this thread and perhaps Nick Millman might be able to show some light on that "God-awful purple for Farnborough. We were never told why; some whizz-kid corporate type, we believed." as Edgar so nicely put it.  

Also look up Bill Dyes article on the net (I wont mention H-scale) where he does a mauve one and discusses the paint mix.

Hope that helps

regards

John

Much obliged. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Doccur said:

Much obliged. Thanks 

Just spotted my copy and paste of the link didn’t work I think. The discussion starts one the blue paint scheme but does go on to mention the pinky purple one too

here we are:-

There is a new book published by Flightcraft "British Military Test and Evaluation Aircraft. which describes this scheme.

Colour is either BS381C-542 Ruby or BS381C-796 Dark Violet, Pale Cream stripe BS381C-352.

The book is well worth the money if interested in British research aircraft

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, dwh said:

There is a new book published by Flightcraft "British Military Test and Evaluation Aircraft. which describes this scheme.

Colour is either BS381C-542 Ruby or BS381C-796 Dark Violet, Pale Cream stripe BS381C-352.

The book is well worth the money if interested in British research aircraft

Fantastic ! Thanks ever so much 

44 minutes ago, dwh said:

Colour is either BS381C-542 Ruby or BS381C-796 Dark Violet,

Both these colours seem rather dark when compared to the Roundel Blue and Red.

As per your avatar picture, the Mauve colour is noticably lighter than both.

If the colour was indeed from BS381C , then BS381C-797 Light Violet looks a better match to me.

BS381C Colours can be compared here. Although you may not get an exact match, it should give  a reasonable comparison of how two colours look next o each other

• Like 2

I have a note that the colour is Mauve, Dockers 2-part Epoxy Hi-Gloss, FS595a 17142.  My memory is wearing out, but I think that information came from an ex-Fairey employee.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dwh said:

Thanks very much for the heads up regarding this book which has been duly ordered and is now winging it's way to me as I write this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cngaero said:

Thanks very much for the heads up regarding this book which has been duly ordered and is now winging it's way to me as I write this.

Just bought it too! Less than a tenner including delivery 

When Peter Twiss came to our flying club to talk about capturing the World Speed Record in this aircraft, I asked him what was the origin of this strange colour.

He said that it was chosen by one of the Fairey Company's Director's wives. No help with the colour but explains the origin.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/22/2019 at 3:58 AM, Michou said:

I have a note that the colour is Mauve, Dockers 2-part Epoxy Hi-Gloss, FS595a 17142.  My memory is wearing out, but I think that information came from an ex-Fairey employee.

Mike

That is the wackiest, most obscure, off-the-wall FS595A reference i've heard since..... well since ever actually. 🤣

But, if it works.....

The story about the wife of a Fairey Director choosing the colour, is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1