The king is dead, long live the king

Hewy

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I’m holding off on my D-Day build. As I’m terrible at multitasking on builds.

I'll be posting this week, definitely wheel based, a shortist of a 1/35 icm wot 6 truck, nice kit. or a mirror models  cmp field artillery tractor, and hopefully a dragon 25 pounder, a bit more work but it looks so good in the box photo etch and resin wheels included, and the 25 pounder looks a nice kit too, I've got so much in the stash with stripes and wings, although the two 32nd kits I've just completed have killed off my aircraft mojo for a bit, so whatever it'll be wheels or tracks, or 🤔hms Rodney, nah there wouldn't be enough time🙄,,, would there? 

I built the Dragon 25 Pdr a few years ago, a nice build Bronco do in action figures if you want to depict a Bunny sense of urgency.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I built the Dragon 25 Pdr a few years ago, a nice build Bronco do in action figures if you want to depict a Bunny sense of urgency.

I want to get the tracks on the tiger and magach, hopefully by the weekend before I throw my D-Day hat into the ring Ozzy by then I'll have made my mind up, I've nearly built up one side of the tigers, they're a bit disappointing, but I'm going with them, I'll not justify fruils on this old kit, it would be overkill, maybe along  with the barrel on a more  modern kit 

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Fantastic progress Glynn. It does look rather excellent under it's coat of paint! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix I'm looking forward to painting it

• Like 2

OK, tracks are built up and the glue is drying, I've actually done 2 sets of tracks(sucker for punishment) these tiger ones and a set for my magach in the patton gb, so while they set I've sprayed a bit of hairspray on, and given it coat of tamiya xf60, 70% mixed with  xf2 30% an approximation of dunkelgelb (maybe) a couple of pictures before I set about it with a bit of water, also I fitted the gun with a home made bit of the bottom of the barrel (bit like this kit), apologies to Bob for the inaccuracies, it is what it is Bob now, I cannot for the life of me find the plate for the top of the turret, and the welded on cupola won't come off without making a mess, maybe when I build a proper konigstiger kit I'll get it right the second time around

"I'll try harder on the paint job I promise"

L1ORqHS.jpg

LQ7YFzL.jpg

• Like 4

Water brushed on and some subtle chipping done, don't know where I'm going next I'm going to have to do a bit of research, maybe a look at camo and marking options

weKRU4w.jpg

MRgW8fe.jpg

7wr4myJ.jpg

KcMuJcV.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good Glynn, the paintwork and weathering is looking the business. I picked up some weathering pencils at the Salisbury show, I'm looking forward to using them.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I picked up some weathering pencils at the Salisbury show, I'm looking forw

I've seen some of these Ozzy, will you be using them on your build, I look forward to seeing how they shape up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I've seen some of these Ozzy, will you be using them on your build, I look forward to seeing how they shape up

I’m going to give them a go.

• Like 1

I've got to admit this isn't the easiest model I've painted, the zvezda paint pattern instructions only show one side on view of the tank, none for the top, back or starboard side, so it's still very much a work a work in progress, so I've been scanning the tinternet for other views, not as easy as it sounds that, but I'm happy with the front, top, rear and engine deck, not at all with the starboard side, so that needs   tweaking, I don't mind that the colours are patchy, I can work with that, I tried the turret first by masking the pattern, phhh, life's too short for that, so that needs redoing, any way my efforts, I'm open to any suggestions on how I can improve this camo (apart from binning it😁

HQV0xt8.jpg

q8WfXBm.jpg

DJgqA7P.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, Ozzy said:

Nice job Glynn,

it is annoying when you only get 1 side of a camouflage pattern.

Isn't it, the side there is, as the picture, but, I invented the other side that I seem to have unfortunately forgot to post😉, my version wasn't as good as the Germans, not even close, I'm scanning the net now for a decent  port side view,of one that takes my fancy, thanks ozzy

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Isn't it, the side there is, as the picture, but, I invented the other side that I seem to have unfortunately forgot to post😉, my version wasn't as good as the Germans, not even close, I'm scanning the net now for a decent  port side view,of one that takes my fancy, thanks ozzy

Could you mirror the side from the instructions?

• Like 1

Hi Glynn.

The problem is trying to paint both sides in a similar style, whilst both join up with the pattern on the flat deck.

Therefore the  'deck camo' needs to be right first - so that it can 'spawn' the same kinds of patterns on either side.

Well, I think your deck camo looks good - balanced and consistent. So I'd say, just have another crack at the camo on the RHS, referring to the LHS for the 'style'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Badder said:

just have another crack at the camo on the RHS, referring to the LHS for the 'style'

I like your plan badder, I shall give it a whirl👍 on the morro , but was there ever a set style, pattern to this type of camo, a'la raf temperate sea scheme, day fighter ect, or was it ad hoc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I like your plan badder, I shall give it a whirl👍 on the morro , but was there ever a set style, pattern to this type of camo, a'la raf temperate sea scheme, day fighter ect, or was it ad hoc 

Hi Glynn,  there does not seem to be an official scheme, even though they were painted in the factory at this stage of the war.  I bought a set of masks for Tigers and KTs from J's Work but how you are supposed to lay masking tape patterns over all the brackets and lumps and bumps?  I have not had any time for modelling over the last few days which has given time to ponder the problem, tomorrow I am going to brush paint the hard demarcation and then infill with my airbrush and see how that looks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Glynn,  there does not seem to be an official scheme, even though they were painted in the factory at this stage of the war.  I bought a set of masks for Tigers and KTs from J's Work but how you are supposed to lay masking tape patterns over all the brackets and lumps and bumps?  I have not had any time for modelling over the last few days which has given time to ponder the problem, tomorrow I am going to brush paint the hard demarcation and then infill with my airbrush and see how that looks.

Sound like a good idea bob, I'm hoping to at least crisp up the lines on mine a little with oils, fingers crossed

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is really looking superb with it's camo on Glynn. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix, I'm a bit green on this camo, its my first attempt at an ambush pattern I've given it a work over tonight, this is how it's looking at present, the tracks are built and ready to go on once I'm happy, I think I'm close, maybe

n5QF34r.jpg

axxntWA.jpg

3rhpplX.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

That camo looks great! I would be excited if my first ambush attempt came out looking like that,  I’ve yet to try one! 👍

Thanks RT,  at first I thought there was too much dunkelgelb in the camo so I lightened the green and added a touch of dark brown into the rot braun before I lightened that just a shade too , not as much as the green, I didn't think there was enough definition compared to the faux dunkelgelb, 😁, I've looked at it again  today after work, and I'm going with that, I reckon  some filters and a splash of weathering to blend it all in, maybe a waft over with some buff too, and it may be getting there, I've also started making some of  the PE fenders,  of which a few will be applied,

and I've removed the rear mudgaurds

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Looking good Glynn. Excellent camo scheme - better than I could do.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks badder  glad it gets your seal of approval, but I'm sure you can do as good if not better than this, don't forget  when I take the photos I know which skeletons are in which closet, if you get my drift

• Haha 1

Hi Glynn, tried my hard edged painting, not happy with the result, the brush painting of the outline and using blu-tack to mask it off ended up with a strange shadow effect and the blu-tack lifted the etched engine grills.  So after a couple of days faffing around I ended up sanding it back and respraying the dunkelgelb, now it is back to where I started, I will try again this time using Humbrol enamels. :wall:

• Thanks 1