1982 Argentine S-2E Tracker antenna question

Roof Rat

Back in 1982 the Argentine Navy (ARA) realised the Electronic Support Measures (ESM) equipment fitted to their Grumman S-2E Trackers was dated and could only detect radar frequencies in the 1000 ~ 10000 MHz range, quite useless against the P band radar as fitted to the RNs (and others) type 42 Destroyers which operated in the 225 ~ 390 MHz range. They came-up with a war-time solution of installing a Tektronix 7L3 Oscilloscope as used in the laboratory to analysis the intensity/frequency of a radar signal. They fitted the 7L3 in a hard outer case to allow installation in the S-2E. With achieving better than anticipated results when test against ARA Type 42s and other type of ships.

The installation of the 7L3 ESM equipment meant the removal of the AN/AQA-4A Sonobuoys Indicator/Analyser/Recorder (Jezebel) system as there was not enough room for both. This meant aircraft were either configured for Anti-submarine warfare (ASW) or the Maritime Surveillance role. Using the 7L3 (and other) equipment S-2E Tracker 2-AS-23 first detected the British Task Force on the 30th April 113 miles to the North of the Falklands/Malvinas Islands

My question is for the 7L3 ESM equipment to work it detected radar signals via a specially installed small UHF antenna does anybody have a picture of this UHF antenna please.

All the above information is from either: - A Carrier at Risk by Mariano Sciaroni or Wings of the Malvinas by Santiago Rivas or via the internet.

As usual any information will be gratefully received.

RR (Chris) 

• Like 1

Hi Chris!

I ain't able to confirm it right now; I'm not sure, but I do recall that someone told me they were four antennas that were located on the wingtips, on both the leading and trailing edge of the wingtips. Let me ask someone for piccies.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 4:08 PM, Roof Rat said:

Back in 1982 the Argentine Navy (ARA) realised the Electronic Support Measures (ESM) equipment fitted to their Grumman S-2E Trackers was dated and could only detect radar frequencies in the 1000 ~ 10000 MHz range, quite useless against the P band radar as fitted to the RNs (and others) type 42 Destroyers which operated in the 225 ~ 390 MHz range. They came-up with a war-time solution of installing a Tektronix 7L3 Oscilloscope as used in the laboratory to analysis the intensity/frequency of a radar signal. They fitted the 7L3 in a hard outer case to allow installation in the S-2E. With achieving better than anticipated results when test against ARA Type 42s and other type of ships.

The installation of the 7L3 ESM equipment meant the removal of the AN/AQA-4A Sonobuoys Indicator/Analyser/Recorder (Jezebel) system as there was not enough room for both. This meant aircraft were either configured for Anti-submarine warfare (ASW) or the Maritime Surveillance role. Using the 7L3 (and other) equipment S-2E Tracker 2-AS-23 first detected the British Task Force on the 30th April 113 miles to the North of the Falklands/Malvinas Islands

My question is for the 7L3 ESM equipment to work it detected radar signals via a specially installed small UHF antenna does anybody have a picture of this UHF antenna please.

All the above information is from either: - A Carrier at Risk by Mariano Sciaroni or Wings of the Malvinas by Santiago Rivas or via the internet.

As usual any information will be gratefully received.

RR (Chris) 

I find that soooooo interesting...I love heath Robinson stuff think out the box so to speak sadly today one is rarely allowed to do that

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Chris!

I ain't able to confirm it right now; I'm not sure, but I do recall that someone told me they were four antennas that were located on the wingtips, on both the leading and trailing edge of the wingtips. Let me ask someone for piccies.

Cheers,

Unc2

That would be logical for an ESM system without a doubt  Google Leonardo sage  esm

• Like 1

Hello Chris and Jungli,

I received the information from the Naval Air Arm Museum in Argentina.

To send the information I did send a separate mail to Chris.

Regards, Orion (Dirk)

• Like 1

Is it the blade aerial and small teardrop radome that are seen mounted just ahead of the fin on some Argentine S-2s?

I think some had a large fold down aerial under the fuselage as well, there are so many it is hard to find out what did what.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your response. The PM is on its way with text and pictures.

The help from the Staff of the Argentine Naval Air Arm Museum was great.

Thanks (Jungli, Uncle and 71) for thinking with us.

I leave it up to Chris, to post the Argentine information on this website.

Regards, Orion

The Netherlands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Orion (Dirk) hello all

May I start by saying a big "Thank You" to Orion for taking an interest in this subject and making the effort to contact the Naval Air Arm Museum in Argentina, without his help I'd still be floundering looking for the information in the depths of the internet, Dank je Dirk.

Secondly, I'm sorry for the delay in posting this reply Some of the information received was not in a format that my desktop could handle, this only concerned the pictures, I've had to add my own text as every time I copied a picture it would not include the text. If anybody would like a copy of the original reply please PM me your e-mail and I will gladly forward it to you. 

So below the reply received from the Argentine Naval Air Museum:-

Subject: Grumman S-2E Tracker on board aircraft carrier ARA “25 De Mayo” ESM equipment.

Use; For modelling the S-2E Tracker of the Argentine Navy during the Malvinas War

In relation with your kind question, first I like to present our apologies for this late answer.

The Tektronik 7L3 installation was a urgent measure to cope with the low frequency long range surface radar used by the UK as a primary long range Defense Radar.

As you surely know in the S-2E model, we don´t use the upper radome that is present in your S-2A picture, instead the ALD-2B ESM antennas are installed inside the rounded wing tips, see my picture below:

http://village.photos/images/user/9772e255-7296-4d31-b6ae-863b8d0d0a86/12a96126-6b9c-494f-bd5a-1b68bfad1639.png 

These pictures represent the standard combat weapons load, during Malvinas Conflict.

The 7L3 antenna, was a blade type, AS-3808/ARC (see picture below)

http://village.photos/images/user/9772e255-7296-4d31-b6ae-863b8d0d0a86/30d59e0e-53fa-42a9-8c63-027e80e3c8bb.jpg

That antenna was installed on the upper side of the fuselage in between the escape hatches of the sensor operators.

http://village.photos/images/user/9772e255-7296-4d31-b6ae-863b8d0d0a86/34b82a88-b90d-4d57-add9-8658ab639fa3.jpg

To the right, the Tektronik  7L3. At left a simple laboratory oscilloscope. To connect to the antenna, just a simple video signal cable,

http://village.photos/images/user/9772e255-7296-4d31-b6ae-863b8d0d0a86/c46d0730-980e-47f0-800e-91ebd1cd873f.png

I hope these information fulfill your request.

Ladies and Gentlemen I must apologise I'm no Bill Gates I've followed the procedure I've previously used to insert pictures successfully from Village Photos but I'm sorry to say all I'm getting is the script and not pictures (as you can see). If any of the MODs can help I would be very grateful.  

RR (Chris)

• Thanks 1

Hello Chris,

Graag gedaan.

It was a real pleasure to get these questions answered.

The Falkland/Malvinas conflict always has had my interest. (Land-Sea and Air)

Above all, it shows that the level of modeling on this website is off a very high standard.

I am looking forward to see the "Ready for Inspection" Grumman S-2E Tracker on this website.

Highest regards,

Orion (Dirk)

• Like 1