F-51D underwing tanks

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

I'm off on my usual distracted way..... 

Do any of you know, or can suggest, how to get these tanks in 1/72?

Thanks,

Martin

IMG_1132

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Away from this forum it has been suggested that these were fletcher tanks sans fins. Would that make sense? 

Makes perfect sense to me Martin, my first thought was that they looked like the Fletcher type tanks like those used  on T-33's albeit without the fins.

Bit of both, I've been doing final assignments and revision for my exams, I'm in the penultimate year of my degree course (6 years part time), I will be glad when it is finished!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Wez said:

Bit of both, I've been doing final assignments and revision for my exams, I'm in the penultimate year of my degree course (6 years part time), I will be glad when it is finished!

Well, good luck!!!! :)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, good luck!!!! :)

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Best of luck. 

Thanks to you both, the assignments were the final submissions for this year and the exams are 3 weeks away.  As I said it's the penultimate year, I can't wait until I've finished next year, I shall celebrate by hosting the Classic Heller GB!

Back to the Mustang, I may have a couple of spare T-33 tanks should you need them Martin, otherwise it looks like a simple masking and painting scheme with stock decals to produce an attractive model!  I fancy doing this one myself.

36 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks to you both, the assignments were the final submissions for this year and the exams are 3 weeks away.  As I said it's the penultimate year, I can't wait until I've finished next year, I shall celebrate by hosting the Classic Heller GB!

Back to the Mustang, I may have a couple of spare T-33 tanks should you need them Martin, otherwise it looks like a simple masking and painting scheme with stock decals to produce an attractive model!  I fancy doing this one myself.

Thanks Wez. I may have some tanks from another modeller. I will keep your offer safe, though. By the way, this isn't the subject of my project ;).

M

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Wez. I may have some tanks from another modeller. I will keep your offer safe, though. By the way, this isn't the subject of my project ;).

M

I doubted it was, it's unlike you to do something so...   ...mainstream!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All, 

I am pretty much settled on using Fletcher tanks and Mike @72modeler has kindly donated some for the project. However they are a little long. I'll shorten them and round off the nose. My question is whether anyone out there has the correct length for these tanks? 

Thanks in advance.

M

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon I've found a solution. After planning to build my own using styrene rod I found that the outer tanks on an F-84F match. They just need to be shortened slightly. :).

Martin

On 6/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, Terry1954 said:

Sounds like we can expect to see an F-51D with these tanks from you sometime soon Martin?

😁

Terry

Hi Terry, 

Well, there is one coming along on my shelf right now :)

M