Natural Metal vs Painted

I was doing some idle research for a Hun in my stash today, and ran across a article that stated it was finished in an aluminium lacquer instead of a bare metal finish, which came as a bit of a surprise to me (along with the MiG-15 revelation a few weeks back). Is there a concise list of aircraft that were bare metal or lacquer finished somewhere on the net/here?   

Regarding the F-100 and other USAF types, the finish depends on the timeframe. Initially all F-100s were in natural metal, later the USAF started introducing the aluminum lacquer finish on most types. The start of this was in 1958, with units based in rainy areas acting before those in the continental US. Of course with exceptions...

In general if you're building a '60s aircraft, like the ones used early in the Vietnam war, these would have been painted aluminum. If building a mid '50s C this will likely be in natural metal. For a late '50s aircraft, particularly in USAFE, better look for pictures and decide based on these. Keep in mind that the rear fuselage section still suffered from discoloration even with the aluminum finish, so better check the rest of fuselage or the wings to verify the presence of the panel variations typical of NM finishes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1