HMS Dragon Type-45

As this would be my first ship build in over 20 years, I had hoped to pick an easy ship to do.  As the type-45 is a fairly clean design, not may aerials etc to get in the way, what could possibly go wrong?  Apart from the way Airfix design the kit.  Not sure if it was my example or if they all have an interesting fit.   Many a happy hour was spent putting bits together and then filling in the gaps.  Possibly my inexperience of this type of build meant I did things in the wrong order, who knows.

I have added the Atlantic Models etch for a bit of extra detail, and replaced the main gun barrel and turret as those in the kit were lacking in detail just a bit(!). one the 30mm guns I used a length of Albion alloys tubing to replace the kit drainpipes.

I've also discovered photographing something this size brings it own challenges.

I will do another, if/when the pile of land and air based kits ever dies down.  The question is what?

Tim

tZLekrX.jpg

9dlVDmc.jpg

s5ILohN.jpg

WJ0EgkF.jpg

U8jiPqK.jpg

FhYxGVa.jpg

gP5sYMY.jpg

xelT1Q8.jpg

TIjHrx8.jpg

iuxDMrX.jpg

1rsc2AZ.jpg

• Like 39

20 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Very nice! Really good job on her and the seascape!

What paints did you use on her, they look spot on.

Geoff 

The paints were from the Colourcoats range (M1/M5 I think) -

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/modern-naval-colours

Lovely paints to spray, great quality

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tim,

This is absolutely NOT a criticism - your model catches the original beautifully - but I saw HMS Dragon in harbour at Portsmouth a couple of years ago and she was sporting a huge red dragon both sides of the bow. 

I don’t know if it was permanent but wondered if Airfix had included it with the kit decals. The dragon caused a lot of amused comment on the Cruise-around-the-dockyard ship I was on.

Jonny

It depends when exactly in her life the model is depicting.  I understand that they were painted on at build, then removed just beforecommissioning but restored in 2016 following a fundraising campaign in Wales: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/welsh-dragon-returns-bows-cardiff-11351214

• Like 1

Thanks Chewbacca, about what I would have said.  I don’t think I have seen a photo of Dragon with the red dragon and the harpoon fit. No doubt now an image will appear .........

Tim

• Like 1

Not an expert in Naval Ships but I have visited Portsmouth Naval Dockyard many times this year and I think all T45s appear to be in dock at the same time.  I think one has just left or about to leave to take over tanker protection near Iran.

But I don't recall seeing any of them with Harpoon fitted yet.  It was one thing I was looking out for and pretty sure I didn't see a single one.

99% sure I saw the Red Dragon though.

But that is all minor, fantastic build, looks great.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

• 5 months later...

If you google any of the images of Duncan from her 2017 deployment (that was on TV) you'll see the harpoons fitted.

[open source]: there has even been a bit in the media about the current RN issues with surface-2-surface weaponry and that great politicians smoke & mirrors statements about taking "capability holidays"....i.e. a hand written note to China & Putin to ask very kindly if they'll hold off WW3 until we can buy some more aircraft/harpoon/torpedoes (sailors to actually man our ships?) until we are ready........

Pretty certain that ALL of the Batch 1 & 2 Type 45s  (1st 3 & 2nd 3) have the harpoon fittings and blast shields in place as of 2018.

Great looking build by the way, I can only assume from Chewbacca's link, that the Welsh will get their way and get a piece of coal or something painted on the bows of the new HMS Cardiff when (if) she ever gets built......

I'm not a ship modeller but I look in here on a regular basis to admire some of the quite amazing work that appears. Your model is a stunner. It works as a form of sculpture, with all those sharp sided structures somehow looking calm and very simple. Take another look and the details start to sink in. It works on quite a few levels. Thanks for posting it here, it's been a treat for these old eyes.

Tony.