BAC One Eleven

BAC One Eleven 200

British United Airways mid 1960s

G-ASJJ 03

Airfix 1/144 kit modified to production standard: Nose profile changed using Milliput, wing fences moved inboard, APU exhaust added, antennas replaced.

I also rescribed the wing surface detail and reshaped and scribed the engine nacelles. Painting those nose wheel tyres was 'challenging' in this scale, but it came out OK in the end.

Metal areas are AK Extreme Metal polished aluminium. White is Halfords Appliance White over Tamiya white primer. Grey is Xtracolour enamel Light Aircraft Grey.

G-ASJJ 04

G-ASJJ 05

G-ASJJ 06

G-ASJJ 07

G-ASJJ 02

• Like 59
  • Thanks 4

wow - this is a smart and tidy looking build - a what a great job you have done up front with the Milliput too. Such an iconic tiddler from the days of short-haul brilliance. There was always something very special about boarding a 1-11 from the rear steps when headed home from Inverness as a kid.

A very nice model indeed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - this is a smart and tidy looking build - a what a great job you have done up front with the Milliput too. Such an iconic tiddler from the days of short-haul brilliance. There was always something very special about boarding a 1-11 from the rear steps when headed home from Inverness as a kid.

A very nice model indeed

Thanks very much, I meant to put in the text that I have wanted to do a One Eleven in the original Airfix livery for years, and it was the new decal from Classic-Airlines.com / Nick Webb that finally inspired me to do it.

Great build, very nice result. I am going to do the Airfix kit as a BUA example for the upcoming 'The year I was born' GB....if I can achieve a part of the quality of your build I will be very pleased. 👍

Cheers,

Mark.

That looks fantastic.  Amazing what you've achieved from this old kit.  I really like the BU early scheme too.  Most modern schemes look so garish in comparison. 

Oooo.... that takes me back :) ... to the kit, which I built in my ham-fisted way - and to Sunday evenings on the viewing terraces at Gatwick above the south and north fingers :). A very nice build :)

Martin

That's a beautiful piece of work and a model to be proud of.  :goodjob:

It goes to prove my long-held view that in the right hands most of the old Airfix kits can give superb results. 

Well done and thanks for sharing

Dave G

Wow, I love this little beauty! Really impressed with the work you've done to bring the old kit up to scratch. The nose and wing mods make such a difference and the wire aerials really bring it to life.

Wish I had kept my old Airfix 1-11 now!

Hope we are going to see some more airliners from you soon.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for sharing a great model of an iconic airliner.  Living near Christchurch as a teenage "spotter" they were a common sight.  BAC had a great publicity department and if sent a list of dates & times when the 1-11 was seen in the sky, would always post back a list of registrations.

Mike

• Like 1

What a lovely 1-11. You beat me too it! I saw that Nick has produced the decal fro this scheme ans am tempted to do it. Seeing yours, I'' definitely include a copy on my next order.

The mods are fairly simple to do but make a huge difference to the kit. Great job!

Cheers

John

3 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Wow, I love this little beauty! Really impressed with the work you've done to bring the old kit up to scratch. The nose and wing mods make such a difference and the wire aerials really bring it to life.

Cheers,

Ian

I must admit I was tempted by the Authentic Airliners resin version, but then I picked this one up for £10 at Southern Expo and just enjoyed the experience all over again - first time I built one was 1968

Great job ,well done . Did you know SJJ was the 1st 1-11 in service ? Glad you remembered the nose shape . The VC10's original Station number 0 started at the original position of the nose tip which meant the new longer nose tip was a minus number , I wonder if the 1-11 had the same thing for the same reason with the Radome changing shape , adding one is easier than the ripple effect going backwards ! There was a fuel feed pipe that went along the rear fuse left side (on the outside!) for the APU ,just mentioning it as a detail . Don't think I'm criticising . It's a great job

Used to see the 1-11s at Wisley , Braniff, American etc. right up to BEA's -500s on flight testing , some in blunt nose shape ,also sneaked on the 1-11 production line at Hurn a few times .. We just walked in at shift end/change .. Got all the way through , nobody said a word to us schoolboys  but always got caught in the Flight or Paint Shed . Still filled the note book though . Great times .

Thanks for showing !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Cheers,

Ian

I’ve got a few more on the build line. Aer Lingus 720 is likely to be next, plus KLM DC8 and the seemingly going on forever pair of Airfix Tridents (BEA Red Square and Speedjack)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Cheers,

Ian

I’ve got a few more on the build line. Aer Lingus 720 is likely to be next, plus KLM DC8 and the seemingly going on forever pair of Airfix Tridents (BEA Red Square and Speedjack)

• Like 1

Absolutely marvellous,always been a fan of the old Airfix kits and a great reminder of that era of British airliners,would be nice to hear those speys again. Excellent build.                                                                                                                                                                    Cheers Michael.

Bloody marvelous.

The comments above by those with the proven track records within the airliner modelling fraternity really say it all.

When you get comments like those from Skodadriver, Turbofan and Viking, you know you have cracked it.

:thumbsup:

Chris.