Advice on missing part

Ben

Hi, I wonder if someone could help please?

I build 1:72 kits with my son, we're total amateurs, we do it for fun and as a focus for spending time together. We have a massive dogfight on his ceiling, which is a wonder to behold!

I bought a Huma He-280 in 1:72 on ebay. The kit stayed in its box for 6 months and when I opened it I found the flat, horizontal part of the tail was unusable, it hadn't formed properly and, instead of of one piece it was two blobs. The seller refused to take it back, but Paypal refunded me. Now I have the incomplete kit, wondering what to do with it. I can't find a replacement tail to buy, I have no idea how to make a part, shall I just throw it away?

Put it back on eBay with a photo of the malformed part with a 99p starting price. Someone who is happy to make a new tail out of sheet stock will be happy to take it off your hands. Obviously it will go for a lot less than a complete kit but it will bring in enough to malke it worth the trouble, and you have already had your money back so it's all gravy.

• Like 1

^Yep, good advice. Scratch building missing parts is a bit daunting when you are only starting out in the hobby.

Unless one of the members here has some drawings, and would make you a part. Or even a scrap kit and send you what you need.

I'm aware you can't put that in the 'Wanted' section yet, but someone may see it. Sit back for a week before you re list it.

53 minutes ago, Ben said:

I bought a Huma He-280 in 1:72 on ebay. The kit stayed in its box for 6 months and when I opened it I found the flat, horizontal part of the tail was unusable, it hadn't formed properly and, instead of of one piece it was two blobs. The seller refused to take it back, but Paypal refunded me. Now I have the incomplete kit, wondering what to do with it. I can't find a replacement tail to buy, I have no idea how to make a part, shall I just throw it away?

@Work In Progress  suggestion is a good one,  but you could try making a new tail bit firstr,   if you are not happy, sell the kit on,  if it works, you have just acquired a new skill.  

Hmm, He 280,  so not that big.     shape a piece of plastic card to an aerofoil section.   

From what you say, a replacement tailplane, that is reasonably easy  shape  too make,  and as you do this for fun,  even a basic part will suffice?  

OK, a quick search turn this up

2gcz8kg-gif.466807

If you can, print the above to 1/72nd.   

Trace the shape onto a a piece of plastic card, if you don't have any you can use an old bank or store card,  probably need two for thickness,  cut out (might be easier before making sticking together)  scrape/sand to aerofoil section,  add elevator lines.

This is a good easy one to start with, flat, simple shape,  no fillets to make.

Or, look for a scrapped model part that can be modified.  

We have some avid model modifers here,  I'm sure @AdrianMF  has done a build showing this,  and he maybe able to point you to a build showing this,   as it's not too difficult.

If you are totally new to what can be done from scratch, many years ago the chap who is one of the pioneers of scratch building in plastic card wrote a book,  long OOP, but scans are here

http://web.archive.org/web/20080122045153/http://www.wwimodeler.com/harry/contents.htm

which maybe of interest as what can be achieved. 

HTH

Edited for clarity.    You could also buy another Huma he 280,  and then try copying the part,  a lot easier than working it out from a drawing.

I am assuming that printing out a scale drawing maybe a faff,  the above has no scale,  but find the wingspan 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_280

12.2 m (40 ft) 

12200mm /72  = 169.4mm

if you can print the above out so it has that as a wingspan, that should give a reasonable guide.  

• Like 6

Hi Ben,

A more expensive option would be to buy the RS kit -

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rs-models-92150-heinkel-he-280-v2--209388

It comes with 2 tail versions - a "butterfly" tail (might be a What if) and a normal tail as applicable to your Huma kit. If you bought the RS kit you would end up with 2 different versions of the He 280!

Cheers

Michael