What are these drilling holes?

notflip

spacer.png

I'm building my first model (Spitfire Mk.IXc), almost half way through, I notice there's a part where they're asking what looks like: to drill some holes.

I wonder if this is necessary? What will happen if I don't? Since I don't have a mini drill at the moment.

Edited by notflip
added image inline

Have a look further along in the instructions to see what fits there. As for what will happen if you don't,  nothing, the world will keep turning so don't stress yourself just enjoy building the kit. If you do decide you want to open up the holes heat a pin and open them up that way. 

Roger.

43 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Have a look further along in the instructions to see what fits there. As for what will happen if you don't,  nothing, the world will keep turning so don't stress yourself just enjoy building the kit. If you do decide you want to open up the holes heat a pin and open them up that way. 

Roger.

Thanks Roger, It seems it will be used to attach a structure that holds a bomb. I just wonder why Revell didn't open those holes? Since there's other holes nearby that are opened? I'll have to try the hot needle option then, thank you.

They need drilling if you plan to fit the bombs,they are for the bomb racks.If you don't plan on fitting the bombs they don't need to be drilled out.

It's a option kit manufacturers do, if they had the holes opened and you didn't want to fit the bombs you would need to fill and sand them, this way is less hassle

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, notflip said:

Thanks Roger, It seems it will be used to attach a structure that holds a bomb. I just wonder why Revell didn't open those holes? Since there's other holes nearby that are opened? I'll have to try the hot needle option then, thank you.

I've just found the instructions online. You only need to open them up if you want to fit the bombs which is optional.

43 minutes ago, colin said:

They need drilling if you paln to fit the bombs,they are for the bomb racks.If you don't plan on fitting the bombs they don't need to be drilled out.

It's a option kit manufacturers do, if they had the holes opened and you didn't want to fit the bombs you would need to fill and sand them, this way is less hassle

Ah that makes perfect sense! Thank you

• Like 1

Not only nothing happens if you don't drill the holes, as you can always build the model without bombs, but generally a drill is not even needed for such holes. They can be opened simply with a drill bit and these can be bought for relatively little money in places like Maplin or even online at Amazon and others. Drill bits can be used with a pin vice, another thing that can be bought for cheap in a lot of places.

15 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Not only nothing happens if you don't drill the holes, as you can always build the model without bombs, but generally a drill is not even needed for such holes. They can be opened simply with a drill bit and these can be bought for relatively little money in places like Maplin or even online at Amazon and others. Drill bits can be used with a pin vice, another thing that can be bought for cheap in a lot of places.

Thanks for this! Do you happen to have an amazon link? I might just order some of those then, the other option is heating a needle and trying to push it through. Thanks

4 minutes ago, notflip said:

Thanks for this! Do you happen to have an amazon link? I might just order some of those then, the other option is heating a needle and trying to push it through. Thanks

Here you go....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proops-Piece-Micro-Twist-Swivel/dp/B00LX17XXW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=322RSMO1JJBUP&keywords=pin+vice+drill+set&qid=1558443878&s=gateway&sprefix=Pin+vice%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1

If you search for Pin vice and bits you'll find loads more.

Roger.

Definitely a worthwhile tool to have.

Unless it slips (Look at using masking tape to contain the drill bit in place) or you drill in the wrong spot (check once, twice, three times - then go for it) or you get too enthusiastic and drill right through the wing (invest in filler and good sanding sticks and polishers).

I've done them all!     😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Murdo said:

Definitely a worthwhile tool to have.

Unless it slips (Look at using masking tape to contain the drill bit in place) or you drill in the wrong spot (check once, twice, three times - then go for it) or you get too enthusiastic and drill right through the wing (invest in filler and good sanding sticks and polishers).

I've done them all!     😂

Been there. Done that. Did it again!🤦‍♂️

Chris

• Haha 1

Drills? Real modellers don't need no steenking drills. You can use the tip of your #11 blade, (gently) twisted where the hole needs to be, or you can do what every broke 12 year old did back in the day - break the eye from one of Mum's best needles, then make a suitable spade drill shaped end with an oil stone and patience. Stick it in an old cork and et walla as the Froggies say, un drill.

Or you can be all boring and grownup, and buy a set of drills. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, notflip said:

to drill some holes.

I can confirm that a pin vise is absolutely the way to go here, I hope you found a set with bits smaller that 1 mm, that is the size range you will need that most. One tip as well, let the bit do the work, if you have a sharp bit, you don't need much pressure to get the hole started, and after it digs in, you should need no pressure at all, just a twisting motion. Do not use these bits in a drill, they are too fragile for such speed and pressure, and broken bit will lead to a big gouge, blood, cussing, filling, sanding and more cussing.

Fortunately, these small bits and even the pin vise are really inexpensive, having a few sets never hurt anyone.

HTHs

Anthony

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Spell check

2 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

they are too fragile for such speed and pressure, and broken bit will lead to a big gouge, blood, cussing, filling, sanding and more cussing.

HTHs

Anthony

Been there. Done that too. I don't learn well.

Chris

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Rob G said:

Drills? Real modellers don't need no steenking drills. You can use the tip of your #11 blade, (gently) twisted where the hole needs to be, or you can do what every broke 12 year old did back in the day - break the eye from one of Mum's best needles, then make a suitable spade drill shaped end with an oil stone and patience. Stick it in an old cork and et walla as the Froggies say, un drill.

Or you can be all boring and grownup, and buy a set of drills. :D

Or get another of her best needles, heat it in the flame from the gas cooker then press the point into the plastic... Oh didn't bring any plastic.. No probs, grab the nearest plastic thingy available - the bowl from Mum's measuring scales. Enjoy the effect the hole makes and keep trying all round the plastic bowl until satisfied you have it right - different size holes etc. Do same on model. 

Next day Mum does some baking and uses the scales... Hide in cousin's house for days till she calms down.            😱

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Been there. Done that too. I don't learn well.

Chris

Nope, me neither. No idea why I moan at the kids for being stupid cos they never seem to learn.      🤪

• Haha 4

This is the stuff I use:

resized_d1453767-9b3d-47f4-b3ef-efa1454f

All stuff I bought around 12 year ago and still working fine, although I broke some of the smaller bits. Having a range from 0.3 to 1.6 mm is very useful for a modeller.

The pin vice is IIRC from Modelcraft, or maybe it was Trumpeter... costed me around a fiver and came with 3 or 4 bits.  set fior the same drill bits set was less than a tenner and I've seen the same set for £8 on amazon. Apart from any bit that I may manage to break, I can see this stuff lasting for at least another 10 years easily.

Tools like these are an investment, you may spend £15 or £20 today but they will last for a good few years

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

This is the stuff I use:

That is exactly the kit I have, but mine is blue. You can actually find these on the horrible ebay for less than 5 pounds, with a pin vise included. They are so inexpensive, you can buy two and have spares and a second pin vise as well, two is better than one!

Cheers, Anthony

Here is a double set for what is close to 5 GBS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/41pc-Mini-HSS-Twist-Micro-Drill-Bits-Set-w-Aluminum-Hand-Drill-hobby-/311422452608?nav=SEARCH

2 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

That is exactly the kit I have, but mine is blue. You can actually find these on the horrible ebay for less than 5 pounds, with a pin vise included. They are so inexpensive, you can buy two and have spares and a second pin vise as well, two is better than one!

Cheers, Anthony

Here is a double set for what is close to 5 GBS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/41pc-Mini-HSS-Twist-Micro-Drill-Bits-Set-w-Aluminum-Hand-Drill-hobby-/311422452608?nav=SEARCH

I also have a set similar to the one linked. Similar as the pin vice is the same but the drill bits are branded. The bits are Ok but IMHO the pin vice is useless. In the end I stuck a needle tip into the pin vice and I'm using it for rescribing only.

Personally I'd probably "invest" in a good pin vice, as this is the part that should last longer. The bits will get dull over time anyway and really there's no much need for high quality bits when it comes to plastic.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Personally I'd probably "invest" in a good pin vice

There you go, that is where experience becomes a teaching moment. For me, all I know is the chinese junk vises, didn't know there would be a difference in how the operate. I did see a mini-drill set from DSPIAE, gorgeous looking set, but definitely on the expensive side. Worse, they use a proprietary drill bit, making replacement bits difficult and expensive.

With that said, I will now look for a branded pin vise, I need all the help I can get, and the "right tool for the job" mantra demands it.

Thanks for the tip!

Anthony

Here is the super drill set mentioned

176c0f089956cb9b1ccd8147f2a486ff.image.8

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Added photos