1/72 Dragon Jagdtiger

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking very good, what are your plans for painting, hairy stick or airbrush?  I find it difficult enough to paint 1/35 tanks, as for the small etched parts. :hypnotised:

I'm planning to airbrush the dunkelgelb and brush paint the camo pattern. I think that masking for airbrush using either tape or 'WhiteTack' on this scale would be a nightmare with all the tools and other parts already attached as they are so easily broken off again, so brush is probably the best option.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sancho Panzer said:

I'm planning to airbrush the dunkelgelb and brush paint the camo pattern.

I agree that's your best option, especially as most tanks this late in the war were hard edge.  I hope it all goes well and there is always plenty of help and advice on this site, I know it has helped me with all sorts of problems in the past.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I’ve primed and started painting; Mr Surfacer 1500 white followed by airbrushed dunkelgelb in several shades from the AK modulation set. I aimed to get a light overall appearance due to the scale effect and because I expect the weathering will darken it a tone or two.

Jagdtiger Painting 1 Jagdtiger Painting 1 Jagdtiger Painting 1 Jagdtiger Painting 1 Jagdtiger Painting 1

I started to brush paint the camo scheme in olive green and medium brown although my new cunning plan is to block in the camo shapes using a mid-tone of each colour by brush. I am then using Vallejo liquid mask to mask off each area for shading by airbrush to get ‘modulation’ and shading. Quite a bit of work, although I think the end result will be better than I could achieve with a brush alone.

Jagdtiger Painting 1

Medium brown blocked-in, light coat of satin varnish to seal the paint ready for masking.

Jagdtiger Painting 1

Early progress - some overspray on both colours before I decided that trying to airbrush without masking at 1/72 scale was perhaps a bit too ambitious🤔

More updates to follow; thanks for looking,

Andrew 

• Like 8

.....and now with the paint on it's looking even more impressive!! Great work! Hope you manage to get the camo painted okay. It was looking good last time seen.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

more progress on the camo, which is based on colour profiles of JT X7 and others from sPzJgAbt 512. I brush painted the basic camo pattern and then airbrushed each patch using three shades of brown and green to get shading and modulation. I was initially using Vallejo liquid mask although I felt that this gave too hard an edge. I airbrushed each patch without masking as this gave a softer edge which I preferred. I used Vallejo and AK Paints thinned with 20% Air Thinners + 20% Vallejo Flow Improver with a 0.2mm airbrush set to around 10psi. 

Jagdtiger Camo Jagdtiger Camo Jagdtiger Camo Jagdtiger Camo Jagdtiger Camo

I will now prime and paint the wheels, paint the tools etc before sealing with acrylic varnish and applying the decals prior to weathering.

thanks for looking,

Andrew 

• Like 8

Wow! That is looking really superb!! It's really hard to see it as 1/72 due to your detailing and your finesse with the paintwork.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

A bit more progress on the JT this week; I have painted the wheels in dunkelgelb, given them a wash with GW sepia and highlighted them by drybrushing with an very pale dunkelgelb shade.

i have painted most of the tools and accessories although a few more parts still need tidying up. I also started adding a pin wash around the details with very thin burnt umber oil paint. I have also begun adding a few more shades and variations to the camo colours using oils. I’ll add the decals before I do any more so that the markings don’t look too fresh.

Once all of this is fully dry I’ll overspray with a tan filter to soften everything up before adding a few chips and pigments. In the images sPzJgAbt 512 x7 looks in fairly good condition - I’m not sure if it saw much action before it was knocked out by Volksgrenadiers who appeared to have mistaken it for an American tank. I guess they hadn’t seen a Jagdtiger before!

Jagdtiger with tracks Jagdtiger with tracks

The tracks are ‘magic tracks, and I’ll need to add some sag as they are much too tight. They were airbrushed with a mix of rotbraun and dark brown and then painted with Humbrol metal cote on the areas where the road wheels run. I also dry brushed metal cote on the treads.

Jagdtiger with tracks

Jagdtiger with tracks

Jagdtiger with tracks Jagdtiger with tracks

Quite a bit more to do, although I’m looking forward to making it look a little more ‘lived in’.

Thanks for looking,

Andrew 

• Like 7

Hi Toby @Planebuilder62

Thanks for your kind comment - ‘magic tracks’ is the name Dragon gives to its one piece ‘rubber band’ tracks. They’re not bad although the only thing that seems to be ‘magic’ about them is that they can be glued together at the joint with normal plastic cement. I was naively hoping that the ‘magic’ part was that once fitted they grew to the correct length for the kit as they are stretched tightly over the wheels and don’t sit correctly at all😳I’m assuming that they are the correct length for a 1/72 Dragon King Tiger, whereas I believe the Jagdtiger chassis was slightly longer. If that’s the case, it’s a shame that Dragon overlooked that detail with this kit,

cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

One trick from an old Airfix magazine from the 1960’s with their rubber 1/76 tracks is to press down the top of the track behind the drive sprocket with a piece of black plastic card. This can be hidden by the mudguards.

Hope that helps

Regards Toby

Hi Toby, @Planebuilder62

that sounds like a great solution although in this case the vehicle I’m depicting has lost most of the skirts. I was thinking that I could thread a loop of fine wire or cotton through the track and around the first or second road wheel and use this to pull the track down to give the appearance of sagging. It probably won’t be visible if the loop is pulled tightly enough. 

Cheers,

Andrew 

• Like 2

That can work, but you need to try to work behind the roadwheels, as close to the axles as you can... Luckily you'll have some choice... Most difficult part will be obtaining a nice sag between the font driving wheel and the second roadwheel... the tracks normally don't touch the first one...

• Thanks 1

Superb progress Andrew - it really looks a beast, even in 1/72!! Shame those tracks are so tight. You could try supergluing them to the tops of most of the road wheels but it won't give you the curve up to the sprocket. You could add the front section of the side skirts to disguise these areas of track? Hope you manage to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions @PlaStix and @Silenoz

One thing I was also considering is to splice in one of the spare styrene track links that are included in the kit. As the ‘magic tracks’ can be glued with styrene cement this should be possible. I’ll weigh up the various options and decide which seems the best to me,

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

After a very long break, I’m finally getting back to completing the Dragon 1/72 Jagdtiger. 

I’ve been working on this for a couple of weeks - I had problems with the Dragon tracks being too short, which looked unrealistic and they were so tight that they snapped the drive sprockets off. I made new axles from brass rod and spliced in some of the spare tracks from the kit. One side is complete apart from track painting.

I also added the decals, gave it a coat of Matt varnish and started the weathering process. I’m going to go easy on this - from what I have read, most JTs saw very little action.

1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 1/72 Jagdtiger 2023

Dragon Jagdtiger front

Edited by Sancho Panzer
Image upload