1/72 Dragon Jagdtiger

Hi All,

after much deliberation I decided to build a jagdtiger for my first GB project and out of curiosity ordered the 1/72 Dragon Henschel JT from Kingkit. I laughed when I opened the box as it is so tiny, although I fell in love with it immediately and decided that this was the one to build. For such a small kit the detail is impressive; a long way from the 1/72 kits I remember from my childhood.

I’ve bought some PE for it and a metal barrel simply because I like working with PE. Some of the PE parts are almost certainly going to get lost, but I guess that just adds to the fun!?

Jagdtiger GB

The kit and the PE

Jagdtiger GB

Dragon 1/72 vs Dragon 1/35 Jagdtiger - an interesting comparison, at least for me.

Jagdtiger GB

I’ll be basing the JT on sPzJgAbt 512 numbered X7. I found a good set of images of this vehicle online, although not yet sure of the camouflage scheme on this particular example.

thanks for looking, Andrew 

• Like 9

Nice looking kit Andrew, they have definitely got more detailed over the years. Nice comparison with your 1/35 kit.

Wow! There looks to be more Photoetch there than there is plastic in the kit!! :hypnotised: The kit does look very nicely detailed. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

I’m also gonna base the JT I’m building on a 512th vehicle and was curious to the scheme on those vehicles as well. I found a few color photos online but they don’t lead to much information haha. One looks to be mostly dunkelgelb and the other seems to be mostly olivgrun with a third in an ambush scheme. Here’s the photos I’ve found, not sure if the third photo is 512th tho: 

8E139AD8-FE8E-4F31-A323-5CAE45CC8066 675577D7-4E89-40A9-8881-F8A4F1068144 66393811-AE1E-4780-AD77-11B49B7FCE99

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! There looks to be more Photoetch there than there is plastic in the kit!! :hypnotised: The kit does look very nicely detailed. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Yes - there a lots of very tiny PE parts which are not visible without the aid of an electron microscope. I like the look of the PE schurzen although the rest of the parts are minuscule. I think this will be ‘challenging’ 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

I’m also gonna base the JT I’m building on a 512th vehicle and was curious to the scheme on those vehicles as well. I found a few color photos online but they don’t lead to much information haha. One looks to be mostly dunkelgelb and the other seems to be mostly olivgrun with a third in an ambush scheme. Here’s the photos I’ve found, not sure if the third photo is 512th tho: 

8E139AD8-FE8E-4F31-A323-5CAE45CC8066 675577D7-4E89-40A9-8881-F8A4F1068144 66393811-AE1E-4780-AD77-11B49B7FCE99

Thanks for posting these great photos - I hadn’t seen the colour images before. I think dunkelgelb would look good, although I also like the look of a camo scheme on a JT too. Maybe I should build two?! 🤣

Cheers, Andrew 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Thanks for posting these great photos - I hadn’t seen the colour images before. I think dunkelgelb would look good, although I also like the look of a camo scheme on a JT too. Maybe I should build two?! 🤣

Cheers, Andrew 

Haha! I think that’s a good idea! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Cheers, Andrew 

Haha! I think that’s a good idea! 

• Like 2

Hi @RT Nevada

I just bought some 1/72 JT decals for the 512 from Peddinghaus - these are very nice with excellent detail and clear instructions. This is the colour profile included which shows a couple of camo schemes which I thought may be of interest,

Jagdtiger Jagdtiger Jagdtiger

Cheers, Andrew 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Hi @RT Nevada

I just bought some 1/72 JT decals for the 512 from Peddinghaus - these are very nice with excellent detail and clear instructions. This is the colour profile included which shows a couple of camo schemes which I thought may be of interest,

Jagdtiger Jagdtiger Jagdtiger

Cheers, Andrew 

Perfect! This helps out a lot. X1 is what I was going to try and build and I wasn’t even sure where to put the tactical markings at just because in every photo you see they basically have a small forest on the vehicle and can’t see a thing haha! Thanks sharing these, they’re extremely helpful.

• Like 2

Hi All,

As I liked the 1/72 Dragon JT kit I decided to go ahead and do a side-by-side build of a Trumpeter JT too. 

Jagdtiger Duo

The Peddinghaus Decals set included markings for no less than four vehicles, so I’ll build a 512 and 653 example. 

Peddinghaus Jagdtiger

There is more detail, it is much sharper and the moulding is just ‘crisper’ on the Trumpeter kit compared to the Dragon. If I were to buy another 1/72 JT it would definitely be the Trumpeter. The Trumpeter kit is the one on the left in all of the photos.

Jagdtiger Duo Jagdtiger Duo Jagdtiger Duo

Both are partially built, and I’ve started removing some of the details on the Dragon in readiness for the PE details. I have another PE set on the way for the Trumpeter. I have a set of ‘Flyhawk’ resin/brass tools which I will add to each vehicle; these are much better than the moulded-on tools present on both kits. Here’s the Trumpeter JT and the Flyhawk tools.

Jagdtiger Duo

thanks for looking,

Andrew 

• Like 6

I thought the dragon kit was nicely molded, but the trumpeter one is much better I agree, you'll need a very sharp scalpel with those peddinghause decals all the ones I've used from them are one one backing sheet, they go down well though 

• Thanks 1

Looks like you have been making good progress and it is interesting to see the differences between the kits.

Kind regards,

Stix

I’ve made some progress with the Dragon JT - I removed most of the moulded-on details and have begun replacing it with the PE details from the ET Model JT set and the Flyhawk tools. I’m pleased with the results so far.

Dragon

Working with PE on this scale is a certainly a challenge, although is also quite enjoyable. The Dragon JT is starting to look better than the Trumpeter JT now! Quite a bit more to do......

Andrew 

• Like 8

Hi All,

more detailing on on the front of the Dragon JT. Very fiddly but fun. The brass is from ET Models, the resin hammer is from a Flyhawk German tools set and the hatch handles were formed from 0.3mm copper wire using a ‘Hold and Fold’. The MG is Aber.

JT front details

A before and after shot

JT front details

close up shot - the shovel is a combination of a Flyhawk handle with brass parts from the ETModel set. Must progress the Trumpeter JT too.....

thanks for looking, Andrew 

• Like 9

Hi All,

more Dragon JT detailing according to the images I have of the sPzJgAbt 512 vehicle 'X7'. The vehicle has only two of its schurtzen remaining, and also has brackets for 6 spare track links each side of the turret. On 'X7' the middle two pairs of track brackets are lower and not centered, so I'm guessing that they were a field modification on this vehicle. Although X7 is missing its cleaning rods and two cable in the photos, these may have been removed following it's capture by the allies, and the Flyhawk parts are so nice it would be a shame not to add them.

IMG_0890(Edited)

IMG_0892(Edited)

Unfortunately the JT took a dive from the bench onto a tiled floor; the front tow cable shackle eye and the aiming periscope were damaged; I will need to make repairs using styrene sheet and rod. More detailing on the rear and other side, and then it's ready for primer 🙂

Thanks for looking, Andrew

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think I’ve now finished the JT build! Quite a bit more PE added, and I’m happy with the end results. The only slight disappointment is that the kit came only with an MG34 rather than an MG42 as in the photos of the 512 X7. This build was a challenge, and I think that my PE soldering and supergluing skills have improved as a result. I’ll wait for a day or so to make sure everything is fully dried before a coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 primer.

1/72 Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger 1/76 Dragon Jagdtiger

Thanks for looking, Andrew 

• Like 7