Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb 1/48 Tamiya

Hello,
everybody has a Spitfire so I built one too.
The model presents a plane from 308 Polish RAF squadron, pilot Sgt Tadeusz Schiele, October 1941.
From additives I used only resin exhaust pipes, the model was riveted.
I am very curious what you think about weathering. I can not decide, once I like it, and sometimes it seems too strong. I am waiting for your opinions.

Tadeusz Schiele and his plane.

9qGOxgx.jpg

Rp4VvvP.jpg

tLF9b3z.jpg

2LqX9sL.jpg

VD9GTlB.jpg

MLCEgL5.jpg

d1MCJaS.jpg

LfON53J.jpg

QBhjyQ1.jpg

fg8swh3.jpg

cmrfqnq.jpg

foRopoa.jpg

qyo2NEd.jpg

fqSfRh2.jpg

Op5mTCy.jpg

E3w28gx.jpg

FOOsCD7.jpg

VDo4orH.jpg

K2Lydlh.jpg

• Like 33

This cannot be a replica Spitfire in 48th scale?????  This is a near perfect replica of the famed Spitfire.  Your efforts have paid handsome rewards.  Well done!!!!

• Like 1

The Spitfire was called Haberbusch, Haberbusch and Schiele being the largest brewery in Warsaw. With it Schiele scored a BF 109 destroyed and another probable on 24th October 1941.

“That evening, as he was leaving the mess, one of the WAAFs, a pretty girl with a cockney accent, called Jean, came up to him and asked to show her his plane. They walked over to the Spitfire. She ran her hand over the wing of the war machine, and then turned him. She was only seventeen, and he was shocked by the emotional intensity with which she kissed him and then clung to him. Later, as they sat side by side on the wing of the Spitfire, listening to the dull thud of bombs raining down on London and watching the searchlights sweeping the sky, he looked up and saw the stars of the Great Bear shining brightly. The next morning he asked his mechanic, Staszek, to paint the seven stars of the constellation of the fuselage of his plane.”    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Superb Spit! Weathering look's fine to me heavy but blend's well without the "patchwork quilt" that  can sometime result.I did Zumbach's aircraft last year using 

this kit and loved building it.

• Like 1

I like what you have done.  Having owned a number of planes myself over the years My own experience is that the top of the wings, cowling, prop, prop and leading edge and windshield would get wiped off or cleaned after every flight.  Not scrubbed but went over decently.  Thus the young lady could sit on the wing and not get her dress dirty.  However the bottom of the plane just gets to be a complete mess, like you show.  All piston planes leak oil and is comes out everywhere but mostly under the cowling so I like how yours look, it seems very realistic to me.

• Like 1

Agree with Harold55. The bottom looks exactly as on fotos. If you want to leave the residues from the guns. punctuate the red squares. Then it is just back from work.

By the way, the pilot, Tadeusz Schiele, I understand from the Polish wikipedia that he married a WAAF a couple of months later .. the same girl? And sadly he died just a couple of years before Poland regained its freedom.

• Like 1

I agree with  the above comments regarding the weathering, especially the "washes".  I think your Spitfire looks remarkably real and avoids any sense of being overdone, or having a patchwork effect where every single panel line is equally accented.   It shows a lot of attention to detail, imho.   Great looking, war-weary Spit! 👏

• Like 2

Thank you all for positive reactions and comments.

6 hours ago, 303sqn said:

The Spitfire was called Haberbusch, Haberbusch and Schiele being the largest brewery in Warsaw. With it Schiele scored a BF 109 destroyed and another probable on 24th October 1941.

“That evening, as he was leaving the mess, one of the WAAFs, a pretty girl with a cockney accent, called Jean, came up to him and asked to show her his plane. They walked over to the Spitfire. She ran her hand over the wing of the war machine, and then turned him. She was only seventeen, and he was shocked by the emotional intensity with which she kissed him and then clung to him. Later, as they sat side by side on the wing of the Spitfire, listening to the dull thud of bombs raining down on London and watching the searchlights sweeping the sky, he looked up and saw the stars of the Great Bear shining brightly. The next morning he asked his mechanic, Staszek, to paint the seven stars of the constellation of the fuselage of his plane.”    

Very interesting story, now I know where the Great Bear has come from.

2 hours ago, NPL said:

If you want to leave the residues from the guns. punctuate the red squares. Then it is just back from work.

A very good idea, I have to think about it

2 hours ago, NPL said:

By the way, the pilot, Tadeusz Schiele, I understand from the Polish wikipedia that he married a WAAF a couple of months later .. the same girl? And sadly he died just a couple of years before Poland regained its freedom.

I think it can be the same girl. You are right Tadeusz died three years before the end of communism in Poland.

On 20/05/2019 at 17:38, Steve27752 said:

The only thing I would say is that the prop blades on the original Spit pic have no wear.

The prop is a Rotol unit, the blades are compressed wood composite, with most likely brass sheathing on the leading edges.  

To confuse matters you do get metal blades!

There is a very detailed explanation on the markings on the blades (coloured circular discs) which say what the blade is made of....

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/79363-questions-on-spitfire-propellers-merged

this is a great close up of this type of Rotol prop, (the link above is down) but IIRC the whole balde is covered with a type of fabric or covering

2527522690_910bba0d4e_o.jpgSeafire by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note the red discs, and wear, but not metal on the blade material.

Other types of wood composite blades have external brass sheathing, and the paint does chip on those

this very atmopheric shot shows this

3690539310_6cf2a9e36e_o.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note the yellow colour of the brass, as well as the red disc at the base.

Great build, and very interesting story from @303sqn

On 20/05/2019 at 17:09, rymulus said:

I am very curious what you think about weathering. I can not decide, once I like it, and sometimes it seems too strong. I am waiting for your opinions.

@rymulus  weathering is a 'it depends'  subject,  a p[lane just land will look different to a plane ready to be used,  and on the length  of time it lasted (some had very short lives)  and where it was used.

I often recommend @Etiennedup  Flickr, here are the Spitfires, a selection of period colour, and very handy for detail, the two pics above are from this Flickr stream

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

if you change the plane name in the address bar then it just bring up the type specfied

here are the Seafires

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=seafire

Very good for pinning down details not as clear in black and white pics./

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1