Airfix 1/72 Lightning F.2A

Hello all,

I figure that the best way to re-mojolise (is there such a word?) myself modelling wise is to actually buckle down and build summat.  Well, in this instance: complete a build.

This is the Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6.  I built it simultaneously with the Sword Lightning T4 and T5. Shudder, never again. Three models of almost the same aircraft on the go at the same time.

spacer.png

Overall, not a bad little model. A couple of fit issues around the cover for the arrestor hook. I think I might have had fun and games with the inserts for the nose cannons.  Otherwise, any glaring build problems were down to my incompetence.

spacer.png

I went for the simplest scheme.  I did toy with the more brightly coloured options, but I already have a brightly coloured Lightning, and so decided on a more mute bird.

spacer.png

What I particularly liked about this kit was the tail pipes can be painted separately, and then simply inserted onto the airframe.  Certainly made for easier painting.  If, that is, one didn't reach for the aged can of Halfords Chrome. I think they stopped selling this about 15 or 20 years ago.

spacer.png

Instead of drying to a nice smooth finish, it went all lumpy on me. Then I didn't wait at least a week for it to cure, instead electing to slap on some masking tape after one day.  On peeling said masking tape, the Halfords chrome paint parted company with the airframe. I think I hand painted some chrome on in the end - particularly the nose ring.

spacer.png

One item stopping me from completing this bird was the nose probe - a pitot tube?  I think I lost it to the carpet monster. Finally fed up with looking for the thing, and wanting to get on with my Sherman Firefly, I made one out of a spare refuelling pipe.  About ten minutes of scraping with a 9mm Stanley knife, a bit of hacking and then sanding, yielded one passable tube thingy.  I stuck it on with super glue.

spacer.png

I had thought this to be  a two foot model i.e. good when viewed from a distance of not less than two feet. On reflection, it isn't too bad. I wouldn't get too close, though.  No more than about a foot or, better still, a foot and a half.

Angus

Edited by Shockwave Rider
Change of title from F6 to F.2A
  • Like 20

I really love the color and finish.  I plan to do the Trumpeter in 1/32 scale.   Did you use Humbrul (sp) Dark Green on this jet?  Did you weather it much?  RAF Lightnings always looked nice and well maintained.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

I really love the color and finish.  I plan to do the Trumpeter in 1/32 scale.   Did you use Humbrul (sp) Dark Green on this jet?  Did you weather it much?  RAF Lightnings always looked nice and well maintained.  Thanks!

Ah, I tend to be a bit of a heathen when it comes to matching paint colours. I don't get hung up about 100% accuracy or seeking paint chips and such like. Anything that looks right is fine by me.

I used Xtracrylix RAF Dark Green, XA1001.

No weathering applied.  What apparent weathering there is happens purely by accident during the painting and varnishing process.

It's interesting to see how the green changes its hue and saturation depending on lighting and viewing conditions.

• Thanks 1

A superb looking Lightning, as are your two seaters posted elsewhere.  The paint finish looks great from where I'm sitting. Good old 19 Squadron too.  I was hoping the unit was going to be re-activated as a Typhoon squadron but apparently any new future number plates are going to go to bomber squadrons that have retired their Tornados.  I can't believe I haven't got round to building any of the myriad Lightnings in my stash (well, except the Trumpeter ones!).  Just one point though.  That's a Lightning F2A, not an F6.

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A superb looking Lightning, as are your two seaters posted elsewhere.  The paint finish looks great from where I'm sitting. Good old 19 Squadron too.  I was hoping the unit was going to be re-activated as a Typhoon squadron but apparently any new future number plates are going to go to bomber squadrons that have retired their Tornados.  I can't believe I haven't got round to building any of the myriad Lightnings in my stash (well, except the Trumpeter ones!).  Just one point though.  That's a Lightning F2A, not an F6.

It shows how much attention I pay to what I'm actually building or how little I know about the various marks of the Lightning.  Thank you for pointing this out.  I have amended the title of the post, and will now go cover myself in sackcloth and ashes. I shall try and pay more attention on my next build.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Shockwave Rider said:

I have amended the title of the post, and will now go cover myself in sackcloth and ashes. I shall try and pay more attention on my next build.

I would recommend a hearty bout of flagellation for your own inner calm, then we'll say no more about it. ;) :D  I do really like your Lightning, its a cracker.  :)

Steve.