2 times 12 hours of Total Tropical Terror Bf 109 Trop 1/72

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Nice Air Power book.  I nabbed one from the local bookstore myself a couple weeks ago for when I get around to my 109s.

It’s a really great informative read! I hope they do a Fw-190 

• Like 1

Scrape the butter off that knife and set that ramshackle rag tag band of assorted, mixed paints aside, as if by magic the post lady dropped this off this afternoon. Hataka blue line specially for brush painting. Not tried these yet.

But I’m all set

46976629255_e491e02069_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 5

Once that clock starts at midnight on Friday there is no time for research so make hay while the sun shines as they say. Cockpit colours and layout, which RLM 79 for this version and red or schwarzgrün spinner etc, bit of history of the aircraft and Fw Franz Elles and his wing and ready to get cracking 

40932178373_30df70e108_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Watching with interest, not only on your build but also how well you get on with the paint set. 

Same here - they look very interesting. I am more of a chicken though, and so I tested my old Humbrol enamels, Klear, matt varnish and so on earlier this week.

Still plenty there to trip me up though. 😀 Let's hope Murphy has a weekend off.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Same here - they look very interesting. I am more of a chicken though, and so I tested my old Humbrol enamels, Klear, matt varnish and so on earlier this week.

That’s the sensible option, ensuring it’s all good to go. I hope my alright on the night doesn’t backfire 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:06 PM, Jinxman said:

I was thinking Murphy was the name of your dog or cat, now I realise you probably mean Murphy’s Law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. It’s probably worth mentioning then that Murphy is actually my surname so I can see this is shaping up to go really well ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I was thinking Murphy was the name of your dog or cat, now I realise you probably mean Murphy’s Law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. It’s probably worth mentioning then that Murphy is actually my surname so I can see this is shaping up to go really well ha

The dog's called Finn, though he is only interested in modelling when I venture downstairs to the kitchen..

I suppose the worst thing that can happen is that we ruin a couple of bits of plastic? It doesn't sound like much of a drama, but it can feel like it at the time. 😞

• Like 1

Thanks Jinxman.

First coat of RLM 66 for cockpit. The hataka paints have a mixing ball inside and a dropper dispenser. First impression, nice to brush with, no primer on these parts. Think 2 coats will cover well, think if primed 1 be good enough for a faded desert machine.

47928537148_debca190aa_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 7:40 PM, Valkyrie said:

Scrape the butter off that knife and set that ramshackle rag tag band of assorted, mixed paints aside, as if by magic the post lady dropped this off this afternoon. Hataka blue line specially for brush painting. Not tried these yet.

But I’m all set

46976629255_e491e02069_b.jpg

I seem to remember they take a LOT of shaking/stirring first time out (maybe to compensate for the time they'd stood in the shop?), but after that they're fine. I'm using the British armour set on a lot of my builds and I really like them now I've got the knack.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thinned black lifecolor into the panel lines, bit of smudging on underside parts for dirt and grease and an hour in

47928697902_9c6761dac5_b.jpg

• Like 3

Flickr being funny so ive ditched a lot of shots. Here is the cockpit on the fuselage and about to be joined. The Dispae nippers are so good there is NO cleaning of the bits that go on to the sprue 

47929270597_0781921403_b.jpg

• Like 4

Where is the time going?

Airframe about done, snap tight could have done this without glue. Wish I’d had as I spilled a tiny bit on the cowling but most is covered by the tropical filter. Canopy masks and primer hopefully before the German cup final at 7pm...

47929484413_a3e092a540_b.jpg

• Like 5

That is certainly shaping up into a nice Emil - got the kit myself in the stash, (so looking forward to building it - sometime). 😀

Looking forward to seeing some colour on it,

cheers

• Thanks 1

Canopy masking has been done and she’s now in the spray paint shop in the garage where she got Tamiya fine grey primer. Now watching the German cup final while that cures and thinking of my plan of attack for my final 2 hours till the session times out till the morning. I had a quick test of the RLM 78 which is meant to be a bright blue. At first I didn’t see much difference but once it dried it was a bit lighter and brighter than RLM 76 which i was maybe going to chance as i have that in a rattle can. But, this will be full hand painted with the hataka paint set. 

47930079841_5976fce326_b.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic progress, I am impressed at the speed of the 1/72 scale builders in this Blitzbuild. My one and only Blitzbuild attempt a couple of years ago was doomed to failure from the start, especially having chosen to add rigging to the wings of a 1/144 Sopwith Pup. :headbang: This time I have adopted the KISS approach, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. :winkgrin:

Good Luck with the next shift on this one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Fantastic progress, I am impressed at the speed of the 1/72 scale builders in this Blitzbuild. My one and only Blitzbuild attempt a couple of years ago was doomed to failure from the start, especially having chosen to add rigging to the wings of a 1/144 Sopwith Pup. :headbang: This time I have adopted the KISS approach, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. :winkgrin:

Good Luck with the next shift on this one.

Oooooft, rigging, the downfall of many a brave blitzbuilder. I stick to the rule, something you have done, something you know and have everything you need. I think even a 1/72 109 is a test, you need canopy masks and if doing a splinter the camo mask if you are going to stand a chance. The time really flies, but then, always does when having fun 

It is a tough challenge but rewarding