This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ham Hands

Posted (edited)

Hello my dear fellow glue sniffers, sanders and scrapers.

I have trouble. I cannot read minds. 

There, I  said it. I do not know intuitively what scale or manufacturer is involved in another's build.

Try as I might, I remain utterly clueless. 

Seriously, why are these details ignored, let alone allowed?

IMHO this is the best modelling website. No doubt. But these details being ignored...

I constantly spend time doing follow up searches, which takes time, the one thing I cannot retrieve. 

Time is all we have. Then we are gone.

Please stop wasting our time. 

We have little. 

End rant. 🤪🤪🤪

Edited by Julien
swearing

Yes, it does happen and can be a bit annoying and leave you wondering just what scale a model is and who produced the kit. But we have a built in fallibility due to the fact that we are (well most of us) just mere human beings, we have lapses and forget to add some things. C'est la vie!

John.

Yes, but I am an extremely simple human. As such, I need the obvious. 🤪

Oh well. I am an idiot and simply don't understand.

Carry on.

Posted (edited)

I can understand, I don't see it that often here, but on Facebook... person X added some pics, and hence starts the search for which, what, where, who and why... If you want to do more then bluntly pressing the like button...

Edited by Silenoz

1 minute ago, Silenoz said:

I can understand, I don't see it that often here, but on Facebook... person X added some pics, and hence starts the search for which, what, where, who and why... If you want to do more then bluntly pressing the like button...

It's everywhere I look!!!

Perhaps I am dreaming? If so, "Mother, what have I done wrong now? Should I go to the shops?"

You see My Dear Silenoz, it leads to madness.....

1 minute ago, Silenoz said:

darn... too late...

Mother? 

2 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Seriously, why are these details ignored, let alone allowed?

I just wasted at least 1.5 seconds of my life working out why that sentence didn't make sense...

7 minutes ago, bhouse said:

I just wasted at least 1.5 seconds of my life working out why that sentence didn't make sense...

Dad??

1 hour ago, Ham Hands said:

Perhaps I am dreaming? If it leads to madness.....

the inevitable ...

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a serious topic but we all make mistakes from time to time, it's part of the human condition. It's also very easy to forget that not everybody is as familiar as we are with our own type of modelling. Also bear in mind that posting something in, say, Ready For Inspection, involves a fair bit of time and effort. There is no check list for what has to be included (heaven forbid) and sometime things just get overlooked.

My interest is in 1/144 airliners, I never build anything else. A few months ago I posted a thread in RFI about a heavily modified Minicraft Boeing 707 I had just finished. I went into quite a bit of detail about the modifications and corrections I had made but I simply forgot to mention the scale. All regular airliner modellers know that the Minicraft Boeing 707 is 1/144 but a few posts in somebody who obviously wasn't a regular airliner modeller asked (very politely) what scale it was. Only then did I realise my omission and it was the work of seconds to correct the thread title. See posts 3 and 4 in this thread. I didn't "ignore" the scale and nobody "allowed" (??) me not to post it.

You do realise that I actually gave up my time to photograph and write up the model in the hope that others would find it interesting and informative? I would have been pretty damn annoyed if anybody had accused me of "wasting our time" because I forgot to say that the model was in 1/144. :boom:

If anything is unclear about a model, for heaven's sake ASK. Most of us are only too happy to clarify anything that is unclear or add information we have accidentally omitted.

Dave G

We all give up our limited time. Time is precious. 

No thread is serious. At least in my opinion. However, leaving relevant information is this easy:

"Hasegawa Fw-190 A5 1/32."

I can do it again! Look!

Tamiya 1/48 MiG 15.

I  can also do this!

HobbyBoss 1/48 Bearcat.

I can, in fact, do this all day.

Not leaving relevant information is, quite simply disrespectful of others and rude.

This post is serious. Stop wasting my damned time!

Is it too hard to say which kit (and scale) you started with?

We can all attribute it to stupidity and bad manners....

If that is what posters wish us to believe...

Fine Molds 1/48 Judy.

Tamiya 1/48 Betty.

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire MkVIII....

5 minutes ago, Ham Hands said:

Stop wasting my damned time!

Too many tinnies?

Chris.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Too many tinnies?

Chris.

Sadly no. Too little time...

This stuff is easy. I have never left a post lacking these details. (Although I did not leave mention of an egg plane. But it was Easter, and I meant it as a joke)

Edited by Ham Hands

This is just silly. I wish I hadn’t wasted MY time trying to post a serious reply yesterday. 

Moderators, any views?

Some things aren't going to change. The forum is too big for anyone who's employed and/or actually wants to get any modelling done. That's not a criticism but more a lead-in to the fact that the vast majority of the membership has probably never looked in to the vast majority of threads and probably hasn't even been in more of the forum subsections than they have been in to.

We each have our own ways of choosing which threads to read and which to pass over, and I think most of us have made peace with the fact that we probably will miss out on some good stuff long ago. For my money, regimented thread titles wouldn't help me there - I tend to be more interested in learning how other people have done things to see if I can try new techniques myself on my own stuff. I'm more likely to want to read a thread about a subject I've no interest in and in a scale I don't normally build all based on a poor kit but that has interesting modelling going on than I am to read a thread based on what manufacturer of base kit and what scale it is.

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Moderators, any views?

:threadlock:

16 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Stop wasting my damned time!

Time is precious.

That's odd. Judging by your replies, time doesn't seem that precious to you.

quite simply disrespectful of others and rude

attribute it to stupidity and bad manners..

Pot kettle black.

Methinks, agent provocateur.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Methinks, agent provocateur.

Instead of trying to engage in sensible discussion I should have remembered :trolls:

When I saw how the thread went subsequently I had exactly the same thought as Chris Stringbag.

Ham Hands, I understand you and feel your frustration. When anyone starts a new topic ( RFI or an WIP ) they can either put the scale in the title or in the tags space below the title. It's not that difficult. I usually just look at 1/72 WW2 aircraft postings as that's my main interest. If it says another scale, then I may pass it by.

On thing that I do now miss that used to be there up to a few years ago, is the date of the first posting. Many times in the last couple years have I opened a topic to read it, only to find it's 10 years old and someone had just found it and clicked like.

Chris