Dambusters 70th - 6 Years Late: Tornado 1/72 Airfix

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Err... no, I really mean they should be up. I can't edit that pic right now, but the top flat side of the intakes stands proud of the aft truncking, forming an aperture (or vent, if you like) facing backwards.

In the pic I posted, it is visible right on top of the swinging wing root fairing.

HTH

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I get it! Like this:

Tornado_ECR_46+55_12624.jpg

So my problem was sticking up on the intake parts - the kit has the 'vent' farther back on the fuselage so we're OK:

48069582876_72ac6e0e56_z.jpg

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

....is the refuelling probe :)

Looking nicely Tonka-esque now Ced!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

Humbrol filler, thinned with Liquid poly:

48069595786_5f17d52a58_z.jpg

… applied here:

48069748982_1b8a8fee1c_z.jpg

… and here:

48069692438_4fc9600a90_z.jpg

… and here:

48069644006_4cbf5f9cc7_z.jpg

I'll sand that tomorrow.

Father's day!

Just watched "Deathpool' - hilarious!

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

So my problem was sticking up on the intake parts

Ah, alright - it was me not paying enough attention to your first post on the matter :chair: :chair: :rofl: Apologies for that, Ced :)

You're up to quite a good amount of sanding, I see :frantic:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Ah, alright - it was me not paying enough attention to your first post on the matter :chair: :chair: :rofl: Apologies for that, Ced :)

You're up to quite a good amount of sanding, I see :frantic:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - not your fault matey; if I'd taken a 'wider' photo you'd have been able to see it :) 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Great Scott 🙀 that’s a lot of filler. It’ll look great when you’ve finished sanding though. Nice work as always. And please say you meant “Deadpool”? 👍

Jont.

Thanks Johnny - yes, Deadpool! It was late and there had been wine… :D 

Sanding. It's getting messy:

48071469883_baea506fe5_z.jpg

Getting there, slowly. I think it'll be Squadron Green next for those dings:

48071422936_2a7ab1e885_z.jpg

I'll be taxing my patience with this; just short sessions methinks.

• Like 7

On 6/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, Biggles87 said:

I believe that the tailplanes acted as ailerons and elevators ( tailerons? )

Yep.  Few self respecting modern (well modern-ish) FJ's is without tailerons + spoilers (well 'cept deltas of course).  Ailerons are sooo piston engine........

On 6/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, keefr22 said:

They were actually a sort of reflective tape kind of stuff IIRC

They woz.  So's the Tonka pilot could follow his Nav to the jet in the dark with the aid only of an aircrew torch...........Embarrassing for the pilot to get lost before take off.

(added by edit:  single seat FJ pilots could find their jets in the dark all by their ownsome.........obviously :D)

20 hours ago, CedB said:

As @Fritag told me some time ago, riffler files are your friend:

Did I?  I must have been feeling a bit alone and unloved at the time.  I do have real friends too.......Honest.

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Best of luck with ALL that sanding, still looking like a Tonka now!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

42 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Yep.  Few self respecting modern (well modern-ish) FJ's is without tailerons + spoilers (well 'cept deltas of course).  Ailerons are sooo piston engine........

They woz.  So's the Tonka pilot could follow his Nav to the jet in the dark with the aid only of an aircrew torch...........Embarrassing for the pilot to get lost before take off.

(added by edit:  single seat FJ pilots could find their jets in the dark all by their own some.........obviously :D)

Did I?  I must have been feeling a bit alone and unloved at the time.  I do have real friends too.......Honest.

Steve! Great to have you back commenting on my threads (gulp) :D

Riffler files suggested here; OK, not as friends exactly but useful. And of course you have friends, not least on here!

I promised Squadron Green:

48071920541_4ae66f361f_z.jpg

Nigel uses it so it must work. It doesn't slide about like acrylic filler. Smelly though.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

:rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CedB said:

promised Squadron Green:

Uh, now we have a Hulk Tonka... :rofl: :coat:

Ced, how long does it take to that green stuff to cure, please?

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CedB said:

Steve! Great to have you back commenting on my threads

Your threads are the place to be seen Ced.  Surprised there’s not an entry fee.....

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

So what colour will the third coat of filler be?

:whistle:

White. But (hopefully) you won't see much of the Vallejo acrylic :) 

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Uh, now we have a Hulk Tonka... :rofl: :coat:

Ced, how long does it take to that green stuff to cure, please?

Ciao

Hi Giorgio - the tube says 30 minutes; fast eh? It also says 'contains Toluene' so you need to hold your breath when using it :D 

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Your threads are the place to be seen Ced.  Surprised there’s not an entry fee.....

Thanks Steve :) Entry fee? Didn't you pay yours? Who let him in guys!!! :D 

Finally, sanding and filling finished:

48073691593_ac617540fc_z.jpg

48073692843_5f813204c0_z.jpg

I'll get the canopy masked and glued on, then we'll see what a coat of primer exposes…

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Speaking of rifflers and wot not Ced.  Have you previewed any cool new tools in the last 18 months?  My tool box is so 2017 :winkgrin:

How much time do you have?

:rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looking good, in a filled and patched old-Airfix kinda way! Lovely stuff!

Ian

Thanks Ian :) 

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Speaking of rifflers and wot not Ced.  Have you previewed any cool new tools in the last 18 months?  My tool box is so 2017 :winkgrin:

11 hours ago, giemme said:

How much time do you have?

:rofl:

Ciao

Well, now then… as a candidate for the 'BM Tool Tart' leadership (standing with Anil, the favourite) I would like to review my purchases over the last 18 months.

Of course I've bought a lot of doubtful, might-use-it-one-day-but-desirable things (like the mini-lathe).

These things stand out though and won't be too hard on your wallet? Here goes (with handy links so you can buy what takes your fancy)…

I had a 'lumpectomy' in March '18 and was astounded to see that they were using 'single use' instruments when changing dressings. These were rescued:

38743953300_5e630f166b_z.jpg

The 'toothed' tweezers are great and really grip well. The 'Conjunctival scissors' are great for trimming rigging and other small bits like masking. Cheap too!

The surgeon also used a #15 Swann-Morton and these have become my go to masking blades - small and curved.

I've fallen for Jamie's Colourcoats too - get some, and his thinners, you won't regret it; the coverage is amazing and they're not too smelly either. Jamie suggested using cheap odourless  white spirit for airbrush cleaning.

Have you seen the Swann-Morton 'fine' range? I bought these from Paul at Modelling Tools:

42034704782_67c84196f1_z.jpg

Not the cheapest (they don't do non-sterile as far as I know) but really useful for those tight corners.

I like to keep the bench tidy, especially after fettling / sanding sessions, so bought a USB chargeable desktop vacuum.

47124730802_4bd3a29080_z.jpg

Really good for keeping dust off the bench.

Molotow masking pens anyone? Still trying these out.

I've saved the best until last. Anil sang the praises of his new Hypergate saw for removing parts from the sprue. It's like the Samurai sword of nano-saws and, having finally got hold of one from Japan I have to say he's right. A couple of strokes and even the smallest parts are cleanly removed. I got mine from here but they're 'rare' so grab one from whoever you can.

Enough! Not too hard on your wallet either! :) 

• Like 7

OK, canopy masking. I was going to try the Molotow pens but the frames are straight so tape is fine. Curvy stuff to go over the top:

48078113866_23c1eb60b8_z.jpg

(See the #15 blade Steve - just the job. As Paul Budzik suggests, curved blades can be pushed down a line and you can see where you're going)

Not the best canopy to be honest. There's a small gap between the parts and the rear is a bit wobbly with a gap at the back:

48078226312_c64d2cdb07_z.jpg

The front part is also a bit 'short'/bent here:

48078132866_b9b0203876_z.jpg

…but nothing that can't be filled, probably with some more of Bill's favourite Formula 560 canopy glue:

48078143056_ea92bc47d1_z.jpg

I must say it does seem to want to flow along the part nicely. 3 hours drying time 'to handling' so I'll need to leave that until after lunch.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

(See the #15 blade Steve - just the job. As Paul Budzik suggests, curved blades can be pushed down a line and you can see where you're going)

Well, I just bought them - thanks Ced :D 

Nice progress BTW, very neat masking :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - I think you'll find the #15s useful :) 

Before primer I need to get the payload sorted. From that flypast video of the formation it seems that she's carrying just the four wing 'tanks' so I'll stick the pylons on first:

48080059842_a2ed0531dc_z.jpg

Hmmm. How do I make sure they're straight? Perhaps if I stick on the fuselage carriers I can measure out from those. Ha, ejector marks!

48080060757_316058bc0d_z.jpg

Rats. I'll blob some filler in those.

Help needed here please - what the heck are these supposed to do / look like?

48080037358_2dda19088b_z.jpg

I'm going to mount them without the missiles but there's no locator on part 14 and 102 has a ridge that doesn't match the bit on 14 :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

…but nothing that can't be filled, probably with some more of Bill's favourite Formula 560 canopy glue:

<snip>

I must say it does seem to want to flow along the part nicely. 3 hours drying time 'to handling' so I'll need to leave that until after lunch.

Ced - I usually dilute the 560 with a drop or two of water to thin it down (sometimes, very thin!).  I find it wicks easily into small gaps, dries in a minute or two and you can keep reapplying until built up to the required thickness.    It gives a lot more control when trying to fill those small gaps with a big gloop

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I would like to review my purchases over the last 18 months.

A very fine review.  TVM.  Don't feel like I've missed out on so much now.  Quite a modest haul by your standards Ced - commendable restraint.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Well if Giorgio thinks they're worth having......

Mind you.  I can never get scalpel blades onto their funny holder thingy without bending them.  Incompetence I know; but I still haven't worked out how to do it....

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, CedB said:

Have you seen the Swann-Morton 'fine' range? I bought these from Paul at Modelling Tools:

42034704782_67c84196f1_z.jpg

Not the cheapest (they don't do non-sterile as far as I know) but really useful for those tight corners.

I like to keep the bench tidy, especially after fettling / sanding sessions, so bought a USB chargeable desktop vacuum.

47124730802_4bd3a29080_z.jpg

Really good for keeping dust off the bench.

Molotow masking pens anyone? Still trying these out.

I've saved the best until last. Anil sang the praises of his new Hypergate saw for removing parts from the sprue. It's like the Samurai sword of nano-saws and, having finally got hold of one from Japan I have to say he's right. A couple of strokes and even the smallest parts are cleanly removed. I got mine from here but they're 'rare' so grab one from whoever you can.

Enough! Not too hard on your wallet either! :) 

Dude its  not normal for anyone who isn't a serial killer or a surgeon to have that many blades...BTW the Hypergate saw is one of those " What?!! How I did I even think of building models without one of these?" items. Sadly their makers know the same hence the steadily escalating price and shortage of supply. I  sent my ex in Tokyo to enquire about them and she found out that these are outsourced in a unique Japanese way: Retired employees are provided with enough workshop equipment and tools to make them...hence the the pitiful quantities but incredible quality. Man who gifting this information also pointed this weird type of "elder craftsman outsourcing" was pretty much invented by Toyota in the eighties and the first run of the MR2 Mk1, pretty much all had bespoke blue printed engines courtesy of ex-employees who had up to thirty years under their belt.

Made me think Ced, do you do any mentoring?  Real experience is precious commodity, far more useful than internet crowdsourced hearsay.

Anil

BTW if you're gonna show the mini vac show the green snot, it's the best bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does the desk top vacuum have a bag which you can empty and sort through to find all the kit parts you’ve sucked up by mistake? I use a JLC razor saw for cutting parts off the sprues, the blades are rigid and have a ‘fine’ cut on one edge.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I use a JLC razor saw for cutting parts off the sprues, the blades are rigid and have a ‘fine’ cut on one edge.

I gnaw parts off with my teeth like a large hairless rat. 

• Haha 8