Dambusters 70th - 6 Years Late: Tornado 1/72 Airfix

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

You haven't seen Top Gun???

Ian

Yes! Hang on… back to IMDB… He was ICEMAN!! Good grief. Lots of stuff after that but nothing I recognised. Just goes to show my tastes in films (at least that's what I call it) :) 

Last modelling post was last Tuesday. Hmmm.

I have no excuse except lack of mojo for stencils.

Oh, and meals out, visits to the pub and Mrs B's birthday. Thanks for all the good wishes - I scrolled through them for her and, of course, she picked up on the 'better half' comment :huh:

Saturday we went to 'Smoked and Uncut' in Brockenhurst. Lovely part of the country, the New Forest, except the huge queue into Lyndhurst:

48229320781_e659781075_z.jpg

You know I'm not a great one for crowds:

48229321206_6d54e9b37b_z.jpg

… or loud music:

48229321051_56304fa19a.jpg 48229320846_fcd64c5637.jpg

…but at least some people were prepared to care for their kids:

48229392167_143964750f.jpg

If only some:

48229392442_9e996ac7b8_z.jpg

That said, a good time was had by all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Finally got the remaining stencils on this morning:

48229210656_76b8ebd860_z.jpg

I don't think there are enough stripes for the tanks - the instructions say four per tank and there are only four on the sheet. 

I've also think they're short of other stencils so I've applied them to the 'outsides' of the tanks:

48229212801_8f14ab3636_z.jpg

… and I only have two large ones left, #37, that I can't find on the scheme. Oh well.

Once they're dry I'll blast some satin varnish on and then decide if I need some Flory action (or not).

Later.

• Like 12

Good job with the stencils.

The World ( yes World ) Sheep Shearing Championship was held at a small town called Le Dorat about 12km away and we attempted to go yesterday. The traffic was extremely well managed but we could only get a parking space about 1.5 km away and as it was 30C and no shade we reluctantly turned around and went home.

A friend went and told us that after walking to the show ground there was a wait of 15 min ( in the sun ) to get in! The sort of heat  ( and humidity) that we’ve been getting here recently doesn't usually happen until late July, which is probably why they scheduled it for last week. Sometimes you just can’t win.

John

• Like 1

You hadn't heard of Val Kilmer? Clue: "I'm your huckleberry." Should have won an Oscar for that role.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Tonka is looking right nice! I should build one of those someday.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks John - pity the sheep in that heat! :) 

Thanks Bill :) 

W&N Satin varnish on:

48232362147_3b51c6f182_z.jpg

Masking off, any minute now…

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Tonka is looking right nice! I should build one of those someday.  :)

There’s a better looking collaborative-build mudmover you might consider first :whistle:   Made more efficient use of aircrew too.....

• Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Fritag said:

There’s a better looking collaborative-build mudmover you might consider first :whistle:   Made more efficient use of aircrew too.....

Hmm...is it named after a feline British sports car perhaps? I got one of those in the stash too.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Speaking of which, my brother is in the middle of an XKE restoration. He finished up the Aston Martin. He seems to on a British kick right now, and the Corvettes languish in his barn under tarps. Which is OK with me, Corvettes are a dime a dozen over here. XKEs? Not so much.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, perdu said:

But could anyone doubt the sporting heritage?

Certainly not...

Typical nice british style of a 60/70er car. Sporting? Maybe for me as  I would call a Beetle a family saloon car.  But hehe wait:

post2.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Ced. I just love that "masking off" moment ............. 😁

Terry

Thanks Terry, me too! :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

At least they all had a nice haircut....!!

Cracking looking Tonka Ced!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) Just booked Molly for a trim… poor thing's panting in her fur coat.

57 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Er, wossat den? :wicked:

44 minutes ago, hendie said:

was two hours ago

just sayin'

Sorry to keep you waiting hendie, but all was not well:

48234203261_6eb11926a0_z.jpg

That'll teach me to try and fill the gaps with canopy glue. :( 

42 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Hmm...is it named after a feline British sports car perhaps? I got one of those in the stash too.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Speaking of which, my brother is in the middle of an XKE restoration. He finished up the Aston Martin. He seems to on a British kick right now, and the Corvettes languish in his barn under tarps. Which is OK with me, Corvettes are a dime a dozen over here. XKEs? Not so much.

Oooh, Jaguars. Oi like dem, I do. If someone recommends a good kit for a kit basher like me I might even get one :) 

39 minutes ago, hendie said:

a moggy thou ???   A sports car ????

Ah, well, you're talking to someone from the home of 'The Morris 1000 Centre'. In fact, when Charlie first started it up my mate used to do his mechanics and bodywork. When it took off he got his own chaps of course, but not before he tried a 'modernised Moggie' with a 1500cc engine and wider tyres. Didn't sell though; I don't think boy racers by Moggies. :) 

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

[snip pic]

But could anyone doubt the sporting heritage?

Certainly not...

No, certainly not. :D 

1 minute ago, bbudde said:

Typical nice british style of the 60/70er car. Sporting? Maybe for me as  I would call a Beetle a family salloon car  But hehe wait:

[snip pic]

Cheers

Aww look, baby Beetles :D 

Well I've cut the canopy glue off the canopy and touched it up.

Then I put some Kristal Klear on the top light:

48234273282_f374f6a39e_z.jpg

Hmmm. Close ups in 1/72, still a bad idea.

Then I put some clear red and green on the nav lights.

Then I glued the pylons on:

48234416031_a63a15ea6e_z.jpg

Yes, they are straight and level and… right in the other direction too - it's perspective I tell you.

A few tips:

• Put the pylons on, then paint the nav lights. That way you won't rub the paint off while handling the model.
  • Don't press hard on the tank to level the pylon or there will be a ping and you'll spend time looking for the pylon. Ask me how I know. Anglo-Saxon helps. Just not a lot.

I am (still) an idiot.

Out tomorrow so those will have plenty of time to dry before I take some final photos.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, CedB said:

of course, she picked up on the 'better half' comment :huh:

I'm not surprised, although I feel a bit guilty.... :rofl:

Tonka looking very good now :clap2:Couldn't really see the problem with the canopy, maybe because I'm on the small screen 

Ciao

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Didn't sell though; I don't think boy racers by Moggies.

No, but real racers do...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/92425/multiple-championship-winning-morris-minor-pr

And at one sprint my boy and I were at there was a brown Mog with a 2 litre Fiat Twin Cam engine in which was, er, fairly quick....!! 

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

Couldn't really see the problem with the canopy, maybe because I'm on the small screen 

I'm on a big screen G, & I can't see much either - certainly would need good eyes to see it when it's dangling on the ceiling! :)

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

it's always those last touch ups that keep biting us isn't it?

Looking good though Ced. Nearly there, nearly there.

Thanks hendie :) 

54 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm not surprised, although I feel a bit guilty.... :rofl:

Tonka looking very good now :clap2:Couldn't really see the problem with the canopy, maybe because I'm on the small screen 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, no need to feel guilty, she knows where she stands! :) 

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

No, but real racers do...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/92425/multiple-championship-winning-morris-minor-pr

And at one sprint my boy and I were at there was a brown Mog with a 2 litre Fiat Twin Cam engine in which was, er, fairly quick....!! 

I'm on a big screen G, & I can't see much either - certainly would need good eyes to see it when it's dangling on the ceiling! :)

K

Thanks Keith :) Nice fast Moggie!

OK, perhaps I'm being picky but this:

48235681171_3ba3dfe088_z.jpg

… stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Now sorted:

48235701221_d50b90e394_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

A teaser show before the RFI, hopefully on Wednesday:

48235703376_41f3cfb3fa_z.jpg

I know someone is going to ask what's next so here's the answer:

48235719726_e908ea8daf_z.jpg

I'll be building this in the D-day GB and will post a link when I start.

Spitfires. Eduard. Nice.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Surely not, what can you be referring to I wonder?

I'm kind off with you on the looks, and can't argue the maths of the aircrew!

But Ced, your mudmover looks splendid.

Terry

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

OK, perhaps I'm being picky but this:

48235681171_3ba3dfe088_z.jpg

Yes, picky!! (I honestly didn't see that Ced, I thought you meant the really slight clear traces at the bottom left of the windscreen!)

Another cracking build for the ceiling flypast, looking forward to the Spit!

Keith

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Back in the '80s I think there was a split screen Moggy with Rover V8, twin turbo's and Nos, on the the sprint/hillclimb circuit road legal and damn fast!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the thread drift Ced and as others have said stunning result with the Tonka - looking forward to the Spitfire 

Roger

Edited by Hamden
  • Like 2

Tornado looks ace Ced! Well done on wrestling it into submission.

and I’m looking forward to that spitfire build! Spitfire with stripes! What’s not to like!

Rob

• Like 1