Dambusters 70th - 6 Years Late: Tornado 1/72 Airfix

16 hours ago, perdu said:

S'better

Thanks Bill :yahoo:

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apologies Bill, I was probably being pedantic - I meant you tightened the nozzle rather than the washer. Didn't realise you had an H&S now, I seem to recall you complaining about cheap Chinese brushes.... :)

Keith 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Yerrrss Keith I now own a rather super Ultra

And two three sets of cleaning rods and brushes and the spiky swizzlers to keep the passages passable

Kinda nice, I might get another

I love my H&S airbrushes and a big thank you to Paul at Modelling Tools for recommending them. I know others like other brands but the interchangeable nozzles and needles did it for me. Good value IMHO :) 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Molotow masking pen... heck, a Ced's thread can be very hard on a modeller's wallet :frantic::rofl: 

Smooth paint job, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

Now I've tried them a couple of times I think they're worth the money Giorgio. I'll still use tape for most jobs but they're great for tricky areas like this :) 

46 minutes ago, Courageous said:

As a matter of interest, what do you use to clean the inside of the nozzle? Is their a special weapon to clean that teenie-tiny passage.

Oh yeah, good progress Ced.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :) 

I follow Paul at Modelling Tools advice and always use the brand cleaner as it's obviously designed to clear out the specific paint.

I'm then using Giorgio's IPA/Windex/IPA wash out method after a good session and that usually produces a clean final blow through.

For a 'deep clean' I'll get out these weapons:

48131326973_88c9d3dc14_z.jpg

Cotton buds and black brushes through the body while the nozzle and guard soak in some IPA.

Microbrush (or TePe dental brush) soaked in IPA to clear the most of the mess out of the nozzle.

Very sharp pointy thing to clear the gunk from the tip of the nozzle. I hold this vertically and gently rotate the nozzle on top to prevent damaging the nozzle.

Dental Paper Points (dry) to remove the final stuff and check that the nozzle is clean. #30 for 0.2 and #60 for 0.4 nozzles. You can get them for about £5 for 100. Search for "Dental Paper Point' and don't ask what they're usually used for! HTH :) 

More Tornado. I've painted the front of the intakes but I'm not happy with this:

48130919273_acb71499b1_z.jpg

…which was an early-morning bodge with Pitt pens. OK, mask and paint. Bill says to add some white before using the DSG again:

48131003867_432b66dc6d_z.jpg

One lump or two? Cripes. I only needed a bit so I blobbed some into the grey with a brush and mixed it up well. 

48131288747_1985871f05_z.jpg

Better. Note that I've also blobbed some Molotow Chrome on the 'bulbs' for all the lights ready for red/green/clear stuff at the end. i've also AK True Metal'd the exhausts and panels:

48131224468_f8980f5974_z.jpg

I've also brushed the yellow bits on:

48131238151_acf9145140_z.jpg

Can't avoid the transfers and stencils any longer…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :D 

Transfers. I had some mojo and got ready and then noticed these:

48131423976_a176789ac0_z.jpg

Forty (count 'em!) individual little 'no step' stencils for the inspection covers. Grrrnngggghhhhh.

I thought I'd start on the fin:

48131433826_bf00c99a0b_z.jpg

Obviously someone's trying to save paper by squeezing things together with no thought for the poor soul that has to cut them out. I was just pondering what will happen to these perfectly spaced, individual transfers when I put them in the water:

48131549882_2403647692_z.jpg

…when the doorbell rang and a neighbour popped around. Nothing serious but an interruption nonetheless. Don't get me wrong, I like our neighbour but my mojo's very fragile.

Mojo gone now.

Later. Maybe.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

I don't know if this is my inner INTP speaking, but I put stencils on first and finish with larger squadron markings and so on. For me, psychologically, this works better than putting on the flashy stuff to begin with and then fretting over the small stuff later. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I don't know if this is my inner INTP speaking, but I put stencils on first and finish with larger squadron markings and so on. For me, psychologically, this works better than putting on the flashy stuff to begin with and then fretting over the small stuff later. Your mileage may vary.

INTP? (Googles)

INTP (Introversion, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving) is an abbreviation used in the publications of the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to refer to one of the MBTI's 16 personality types.

Oooh? I must take that test and see if I have a personality… but what if I fail??!! :D 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I agree wiv 'im

Delaying gratification eh? I've heard that can be rewarding, but only from people less drunk that I am :D 

For me I want to see how the fin transfers go on because, if I mess that up, I may be binning the whole thing.

Oh, alright then, looking for some AM decals for another scheme.

On with the fin decals:

48132492591_b2ca5f6d48_z.jpg

Nerve wracking. The '70th' needs cutting to go over the sticky out bit. The 'Dam' may need to go around the fin - perhaps some paint later.

The main worry was that, despite the gloss paint, the transfers appeared to be silvering.

I panicked and started trying all sorts of things until I realised that the 'agents' I was using were just drying out and exposing the carrier, which is NOT SHINY.

Phew.

That fin is done now and has been sloshed with MicroSOL to settle it down. I'll leave it for a while and see how it's gone.

By the way, a tip. Don't hold to MicroSOL bottle in one hand while your applying it with the other. If the model slips your reaction will be to grab it and the other hand will jump:

48132494011_3a92997d48_z.jpg

…sloshing the stuff all over the bench.

Rats.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

If it's any consolation, I tend to put the big ones on first so I can make sure the little ones fit around them! Nothing worse than having the stencils on then finding the roundal half  covers them!

Ian

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

If it's any consolation, I tend to put the big ones on first so I can make sure the little ones fit around them! Nothing worse than having the stencils on then finding the roundal half  covers them!

Ian

Good point Ian - big ones first eh? My thoughts entirely. It also means that, when the mojo goes, you can chuck the 'they'll never be seen on the ceiling' ones in the bin :) 

My test results from www.16personalities.com - Protagonist Personality ENFJ-A.

"Protagonists are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians, our coaches and our teachers, reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world. With a natural confidence that begets influence, Protagonists take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community."

Apparently I share this with Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

but only from people less drunk that I am :D 

What is the right sequence for the two sentences above? :coat:  :rofl: 

I'm sorry to hear about the Microsol spilling, but I couldn't help laughing, because of how you described the accident ... :D 

The big transfers on the big fin looks pretty good to me; and I also tend to put larger ones on first (if I don't replace them with masks, that is :wink: ) for the same reason Ian @limeypilot mentioned ...

Ciao

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Protagonists are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians..... reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world.

Those are not attributes I would ascribe to any of our politicians....!!

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, giemme said:

What is the right sequence for the two sentences above? :coat:  :rofl: 

I'm sorry to hear about the Microsol spilling, but I couldn't help laughing, because of how you described the accident ... :D 

The big transfers on the big fin looks pretty good to me; and I also tend to put larger ones on first (if I don't replace them with masks, that is :wink: ) for the same reason Ian @limeypilot mentioned ...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. As usual, the post was supposed to be funny, even if the event wasn't! I'll make no comment on the order of the sentences! :D 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Those are not attributes I would ascribe to any of our politicians....!!

K

Thanks Keith :D 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Those transfers are looking great Ced.

Thanks Cookie :) 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I can't believe that you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner as part of your airbrush kit, or are you just not showing it?

The big fin transfer looks pretty good to me too.

John

Thanks John :) I do have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner but I fear it's not the right frequency as it doesn't seem to clean up much. What liquid do you use in yours for nozzle cleaning? I've been putting my nozzles in a little glass jar with IPA in and just using the provided cleaner for the rest.

Fin looks OK this morning:

48136546956_821ae80444_z.jpg

Settled nicely. Reference shots show that the Dam stops before the front of the fin. I think I'll trim it. While that was drying I put some stencils on the pylons:

48133432241_41b69d0393_z.jpg

… and on this thing:

48136656487_7279979bea_z.jpg

It's wrong isn't it. The kit part assembles to 'a short Raptor with no black panels and an intake' or 'a Skyshadow with no lumps on the side'.

I've applied the Raptor transfers (probably in error) and will call it 'something experimental that's good enough for the ceiling'.

• Like 12

Nice work on the transfers Ced! Really like that scheme.

my friend worked on the raptor pod would you like me to see if he can find you a prototype pic to justify your transfers 😃, don’t think most would have noticed if you hadn’t pointed it out!

Rob

• Haha 1

I wasn't overly impressed with my ultrasonic cleaner to start with, but I was only using  diluted washing up liquid  innit. I now use proper ultrasonic cleaner fluid  and  have also extended the cleaning time to 5 min and get better results.

I also have a set of those miniature bottle brushes , good aren't they.

SWMBO thinks it's great for her joolery

John

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

48136546956_821ae80444_z.jpg

Lovely catch up over (count em) two days.   Really great to see her in paint and yes this pic looks brilliant. 🤩

As for Micro sol, dip from the bench then screw the lid on before you slosh it onto the decal other wise your hand will gravitate toward the open pot and whoosh eight pounds up the suff. 🤤

Keep up the mojo kid, it’s going great guns. 

Johnny

• Haha 2

Hello Ced , Nice work so far. Very good work on the fin decaling. Always a matter of patience indeed. Last time  I was there  was on easter and they had begun to clean it from dirt and moss, which plugged onto it over the years. Not quite sure, if you could see that old breaking scars then there again. (Time heal wounds as they say.)

Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:38 PM, CedB said:

"Protagonists are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians, our coaches and our teachers, reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world. With a natural confidence that begets influence, Protagonists take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community."

Apparently I'm a Defender, although I preferred goalkeeper at school.

Shared with Michael Caine, Gor blimey guv!

Ian

• Haha 1

Have shivered through this page of stencil appliqué Ced knowing that if a red-blooded protagonist finds them that daunting then  I haven't a hope in Heligoland of matching your verve and patience in such a task.

Kudos to you. :clap:

On 6/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, CedB said:

I've been putting my nozzles in a little glass jar with IPA

Steradent's yer man: just pop your nozzles in the glass along with the teeth at night. #goodhousekeeping

I've obvs missed something with everyone taking personality test on here now it seems... :frantic:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/06/2019 at 10:21, Courageous said:

Decals look good, matt but no silvering. :yes:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - glossed it; see, I do learn (slowly) :) 

On 27/06/2019 at 10:24, rob85 said:

Nice work on the transfers Ced! Really like that scheme.

my friend worked on the raptor pod would you like me to see if he can find you a prototype pic to justify your transfers 😃, don’t think most would have noticed if you hadn’t pointed it out!

Rob

Thanks Rob :) Kind offer, but this morning I had a pang of conscience (unusual) and decided to 'try harder' on the Sky Shadow (see below)

On 27/06/2019 at 12:42, Biggles87 said:

I wasn't overly impressed with my ultrasonic cleaner to start with, but I was only using  diluted washing up liquid  innit. I now use proper ultrasonic cleaner fluid  and  have also extended the cleaning time to 5 min and get better results.

I also have a set of those miniature bottle brushes , good aren't they.

SWMBO thinks it's great for her joolery

John

Thanks John :) I have the cleaner so I'll try an extended vibrate next time!

On 27/06/2019 at 23:47, The Spadgent said:

Lovely catch up over (count em) two days.   Really great to see her in paint and yes this pic looks brilliant. 🤩

As for Micro sol, dip from the bench then screw the lid on before you slosh it onto the decal other wise your hand will gravitate toward the open pot and whoosh eight pounds up the suff. 🤤

Keep up the mojo kid, it’s going great guns. 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, good tip :) 

On 28/06/2019 at 02:16, bbudde said:

Hello Ced , Nice work so far. Very good work on the fin decaling. Always a matter of patience indeed. Last time  I was there  was on easter and they had begun to clean it from dirt and moss, which plugged onto it over the years. Not quite sure, if you could see that old breaking scars then there again. (Time heal wounds as they say.)

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Apparently I'm a Defender, although I preferred goalkeeper at school.

Shared with Michael Caine, Gor blimey guv!

Ian

Defender eh? Appropriate! :D 

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have shivered through this page of stencil appliqué Ced knowing that if a red-blooded protagonist finds them that daunting then  I haven't a hope in Heligoland of matching your verve and patience in such a task.

Kudos to you. :clap:

Steradent's yer man: just pop your nozzles in the glass along with the teeth at night. #goodhousekeeping

I've obvs missed something with everyone taking personality test on here now it seems... :frantic:

Thanks Tony :) 'Verve and patience'? I wish!

Thanks for the Steradent tip, I'll give it a go.

Yesterday was a write-off for me after having some 10 day out-of-date beef slices for lunch on Thursday. They looked fine but I'm afraid my digestive system disagreed. I did get some 'culture' that day; Men in Black International in the afternoon and theatre in the evening despite some rumblings in the tum. Yesterday though I had pain in the gut and just groaned around. Wuss.

So, unusually this morning I thought I'd 'do something' with the Sky Shadow - with a cool name like that how could I not? Nothing too serious, just a bit of messing. I had a quick search for pictures and found a link to dr_gn's build on PistonHeads. Won second prize at the 2015 Cosford show - an amazing build. He had put up an RFI here but that's now been edited to "Bye!" What happened to Garth?

First thing was to get the transfers off. Some came off with Sellotape but I had to scrape others:

48148870906_a21ba666f1_z.jpg

Not too worried as it's going to have to get worse before it gets better. I used various instruments to improve the intake:

48148997221_b17405e4bb_z.jpg

I had a search through the spares drawer (I must tidy that) and found something about the right shape for the lumps on the side:

48149167186_391cfdd5f2_z.jpg

SIHRSC action, sanded, squidged on with TET and filled with sprue gloop, now curing ready for a bit more attention later:

48149255721_8ba2a0a805_z.jpg

• Like 7

Yeah baby that looks betterer, much betterer

Sorry to hear of your digestive er, stuff

I gottada news for you, now you are retired it is time to watch what you munch

Old meat is so old, man, don't do it again

Us old(er) buggers need to stay healthy, what would yon youngsters do if we left em?

Oh yes Garth?

I think it was Huddershalifax where I saw him (and junior) last*

Still fine and winning any class he enters and often beating  himself into second and third positions too

*could have been Cosford...

Potters off feeling old...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1