Dambusters 70th - 6 Years Late: Tornado 1/72 Airfix

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Worth every penny if you're silly enough to take close ups of your builds!

Does this count as modelling tool? Because I desperately want need one, now....

:rofl: :rofl: 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, Fritag said:

I'm sure you mean 'port' and 'starboard'.......

Yes, but PS on the gloves might have the pilots looking around wondering where the comment was.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, CedB said:

You may be wondering how I took those shots with (unlike Martian) only two hands. Used this:

48097092188_afc2130090_z.jpg

Worth every penny if you're silly enough to take close ups of your builds!

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Does this count as modelling tool? Because I desperately want need one, now..

I reckon it does Giorgio :thumbsup:  and you do :whistle:

spacer.png

Plus a ‘quad lock’ mount for my quad lock iPhone case - cos I take all my photos with my iPhone (and have quad lock mounts on my bikes and in the car too).

Is this another idea I got from Ced?

Have you posted piccies of that tripod before Ced? Or did I manage to find it all by myself? :mental:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Could be on the palms which is often the bit you face when sliding fingers down t'oles, the gloves I mean

Not the inner pylons

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Told you so.

The L and R were on the inside, you just folded them back when no-one was looking.

19 hours ago, Fritag said:

I'm sure you mean 'port' and 'starboard'.......

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Yes, but PS on the gloves might have the pilot's looking around wondering where the comment was.

Ian

:rofl2: You guys!

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Does this count as modelling tool? Because I desperately want need one, now....

:rofl: :rofl: 

Yes? I got my 'Joby GripTight GorillaPod' from Amazon - it has a separate BlueTooth 'trigger button' too so that you can take shots without wobbling the stand. Handy :) 

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

I reckon it does Giorgio :thumbsup:  and you do :whistle:

[snip pic]

Plus a ‘quad lock’ mount for my quad lock iPhone case - cos I take all my photos with my iPhone (and have quad lock mounts on my bikes and in the car too).

Is this another idea I got from Ced?

Have you posted piccies of that tripod before Ced? Or did I manage to find it all by myself? :mental:

I don't think you got the idea from me Steve - I can't see it in any shots, probably because, er, the camera's usually in it :D 

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Fritag's Tantalising Glimpses #623...

Oh yes, the pistol grip is?

Oh yes, what IS that?

Racks done:

48101855288_e80b169324_z.jpg

Fiddly getting the angle right(ish) without them rubbing on the tanks. Speaking of which:

48101910542_dda83bf931_z.jpg

They need sanding and the fins need to go on but then I'm ready for priming.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

By the way, can you guess what's wrong with my hands:

48097741463_cf8e4b1db4_z.jpg

Look, no hairs (surprisingly…)

No wait, you'll go places in your head I didn't intend if you try to work out why my palms are peeling.

Hand bell ringing, that's what it was. We went on Tuesday with the U3A Adventure Group.

Oh yes, they're adventurous. Norwegian Walking course soon.

I won't be going - I already (wait for it) walk like an Egyptian:

I LOVE that video :D 

• Haha 8

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Oh yes, the pistol grip is?

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh yes, what IS that?

I wos thinking about all sorts of 3D printed pistol quips - But concluded it was inappropriate and I am far to growed up and sensible for that.....

So the truth instead....

Tamiya Electric Handy Router #74042.  Not for drilling (although there is a similar Tamiya drill)  - but I find it useful as a sort of 2 x AA battery low powered/low torque dremel thingy for little sanding jobs and also as a mini hand held lathe.

Can't remember where I got mine - but it's on eBay for c.£25.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, CedB said:

I got my 'Joby GripTight GorillaPod' from Amazon - it has a separate BlueTooth 'trigger button' too so that you can take shots without wobbling the stand. Handy :) 

Ah, the mighty GorillaPod. I've had one for about five years, and very practical it is too. I recently indulged in a bubble level clip for it so my pictures aren't on the tilt.

My daughter has one as well. She gets the thing to cling to her left forearm when taking photos with her pocket camera. It looks odd, but holds the camera stable and she doesn't inadvertently eject the batteries when taking a picture (the sliding switch for the battery compartment is where her left thumb would be under normal circumstances - poor design?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Tamiya Electric Handy Router #74042.  Not for drilling (although there is a similar Tamiya drill)  - but I find it useful as a sort of 2 x AA battery low powered/low torque dremel thingy for little sanding jobs and also as a mini hand held lathe.

Yes and the drill  ~74041s a snazzy blue...and comes as kit to assemble. Widely available form folks like emodels, HLJ et al. Powered by single AA, just enough torque to to drill cleanly through plastic and not melt it...C'mon Ced did ya seriously think I wouldn't have one?🤣

48102425327_3e15f28e56_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The peeling of the skin looks to me like a mild case of psoriasis, ask me how I know. If you keep the area moisturised it shouldn’t get any worse, but if it does ( cracking ) your GP should be able to help. It’s also aggravated by stress so stay cool won’t you as Stanley Unwin would say.

HTH

John

PS

I’ve got one of those pistol thingies but mine only makes two sizes of holes- .22 or 9mm.

• Haha 4

On 6/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, Biggles87 said:

I can see from your comparison photos that your Platz cutter would be better in confined spaces, in those cases I snip out a larger area around the required parts before using the saw.

John

PS  I had a ‘ close up and personal ‘ experience of conjunctival scissors recently when I had some stitches removed from my eyelids ( very painful ) and the nurse didn’t even leave them behind for me!

I openly asked the nurse if I could keep mine after my ripped nose had been stitched back together, very handy!!

also Ced the tornado is looking great, I was worried as I didn’t really think this kit was any good but your taking on the challenge and whipping it into cracking shape.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Can't think why....!! :whistle:

:D Seriously though, it's the happy song and the 'public' doing their walks… look out for the guy in the red cap and the old lady in the stripy dress. Oh, and the Bangles of course! 

22 hours ago, Fritag said:

I wos thinking about all sorts of 3D printed pistol quips - But concluded it was inappropriate and I am far to growed up and sensible for that.....

So the truth instead....

Aha, a router eh? Nice.

I've just realised that 'router' is ambiguous isn't it? Something for routing (rowting) or routing (routeing your network)? English eh? :D 

22 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Ah, the mighty GorillaPod. I've had one for about five years, and very practical it is too. I recently indulged in a bubble level clip for it so my pictures aren't on the tilt.

My daughter has one as well. She gets the thing to cling to her left forearm when taking photos with her pocket camera. It looks odd, but holds the camera stable and she doesn't inadvertently eject the batteries when taking a picture (the sliding switch for the battery compartment is where her left thumb would be under normal circumstances - poor design?).

Thanks Steve, handy tips :) 

21 hours ago, azureglo said:

Yes and the drill  ~74041s a snazzy blue...and comes as kit to assemble. Widely available form folks like emodels, HLJ et al. Powered by single AA, just enough torque to to drill cleanly through plastic and not melt it...C'mon Ced did ya seriously think I wouldn't have one?🤣

Thanks Anil - of course you've got one! I have just acquired 'something' for low speed jobs - just waiting for an 'add on' before I reveal all! :) 

19 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The peeling of the skin looks to me like a mild case of psoriasis, ask me how I know. If you keep the area moisturised it shouldn’t get any worse, but if it does ( cracking ) your GP should be able to help. It’s also aggravated by stress so stay cool won’t you as Stanley Unwin would say.

HTH

John

PS

I’ve got one of those pistol thingies but mine only makes two sizes of holes- .22 or 9mm.

Thanks John :) The palms are recovering nicely. They're obviously not used to handbell ringing. I will refrain from comments on their exposure to handling other big, heavy objects (fnaar!)

Pistol thingies? Can you still have those in France then? Nice…

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

A mighty catch up Mr B. Simply wonderful work. Your tool drawer is making me envious as is that lovely bird. Bravo sir. 👌  

Thanks Johnny :) 

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

I openly asked the nurse if I could keep mine after my ripped nose had been stitched back together, very handy!!

also Ced the tornado is looking great, I was worried as I didn’t really think this kit was any good but your taking on the challenge and whipping it into cracking shape.

Rob

Good job Rob - as you say, very handy scissors. The kit is OK and can be bashed as long as you're careful how you take your photos! :D 

Tanks sanded:

48107167687_cb4d77005f_z.jpg

Now then - fins for the tanks:

48107106193_927402ff7a_z.jpg

69+71 and 75+77. Really?

These are the similarly shaped fin parts:

48107060181_deb7e96b44_z.jpg

48107174077_989f31b84f_z.jpg

Are the fins really a different shape on each side? I'll see if the walk around helps…

• Like 6

As for those fuel tank fins, the longer fins would be on top and the stubbier ones below.

The four-fin fit for the 1500 litre tanks hasn't been used in a donkey's age (someone will surely come along and tell us when it happened; I will hazard a guess at the early 80s), so you certainly won't want the upper fins for the timeframe of the model you are building and will need to fill in the crevasses provided by Airfix.

If you get hold of some 2250 litre tanks for the kit, they have four fins of equal size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that the palms are recovering.

I rarely use my Dremel these days because I find that even the lowest speed is too fast for plastic, so your pistol thingy looks quite attractive.

Yes you are allowed firearms here, including handguns, if you meet the required criteria, which have been tightened up recently. 

John

• Like 1

Thanks Steve - just the information I needed :) 

Thanks John - I'm with you on the Dremel being too fast for most tasks, although it's fine with the dental burrs :) 

Thanks to Steve I could fit the correct fins after filling the top slots:

48107860561_df3fee9fe8_z.jpg

I'll put a little filler on the fins but almost ready for primer, finally:

48108589996_d6d0ffb4eb_z.jpg

Don't panic, the tanks are upside down while the fins dry.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I've just realised that 'router' is ambiguous isn't it? Something for routing (rowting) or routing (routeing your network)? English eh? :D 

ambiguity in a Ced thread?  whatever next ?  That just opens the floodgates for innuendo and double entendre to start creeping in that does.  I don't know what the world is coming to at times.

nicely spread tonka though

• Haha 4

On 6/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, CedB said:

By the way, can you guess what's wrong with my hands:

48097741463_cf8e4b1db4_z.jpg

Look, no hairs (surprisingly…)

No wait, you'll go places in your head I didn't intend if you try to work out why my palms are peeling.

Hand bell ringing, that's what it was. We went on Tuesday with the U3A Adventure Group.

I learned church bell ringing at South Croydon. The tower had a set of handbells which were sometimes used for teaching change ringing methods.

I've one quarter peal under my belt. It was various Bob methods on 5 bells with the Tenor covering, with me Plain Hunting on the Treble

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:29 AM, CedB said:

A likely story.

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, hendie said:

ambiguity in a Ced thread?  whatever next ?  That just opens the floodgates for innuendo and double entendre to start creeping in that does.  I don't know what the world is coming to at times.

nicely spread tonka though

Thanks hendie :D Double Entendre in my threads? As if. Of course if the barmaid asked me I'd…

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! Get on with the painting, Ced! :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - your wish is my command! :) 

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Now that’s a nice shot! 😀

Thanks Johnny - just like wot you see in mags :) 

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Dang Ced, you've built the unbuildable once again.

Aww thanks Cookie :) I've promised myself a nice kit to build next time.

9 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I learned church bell ringing at South Croydon. The tower had a set of handbells which were sometimes used for teaching change ringing methods.

I've one quarter peal under my belt. It was various Bob methods on 5 bells with the Tenor covering, with me Plain Hunting on the Treble

Thanks Joseph :) The team did say that most churches have a set of bells to practice their peals - and keep the neighbours friendly!

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

A likely story.

It's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D 

Primed:

48112908543_25399d877c_z.jpg

Stynylrez of course. 

Tell me, oh wise ones - where do you keep your AB stand and cleaner bottle? As you can see my stand and brushes keep getting covered in spray (duh). I may tidy this up:

48112994542_45821d19d7_z.jpg

What have we got here (list so I can tick off things to move) from back left:

- varnishes with thinned in little bottles. Behind this (hidden) airbrush boxes and on top pipettes

- various spray can. I never use these now

- wine bottle and funnel for emptying cleaner bottle into prior to visit to dump (when it's full)

- big bottles of condensed water (from the dryer), odourless white spirit, Windex, IPA, Stynlyrez cleaner and cellulose thinner

- back a bit - 3M Re-mount and the new sticky mat adhesive (still not tried)

- right to left spare bottles of thinner and cleaner

- left of the lamp spare / old needles and cleaning stuff

- LAMP base (that's big innit?)

- spray airbrush cleaner and paint mules

- rotating table with stuff on, most of which is used

- in front of lamp frequently used acrylic, Cookie's thinner, cleaning jars and paper points.

Right, tidy up time!

• Like 7