Dambusters 70th - 6 Years Late: Tornado 1/72 Airfix

On 22/05/2019 at 03:03, Andre B said:

Interesting build! :)

Wonder what Airfix did with that kit 1989? Doesn't look to different compared to the old kit from 1975. Those sprues are changed but the parts look much the same...

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/previews/airfix/04019.htm

Cheers / André

If I remember rightly they did minor correctional alterations to the fillet at the base of the rudder to make it as 'in production' but it is still basically the old MRCA moulding

They did not make alterations to the wing root box which will need looking at but in my opinion the actual nose cone shape which was driving a mate of mine crazy on his model isn't too far off the proper profile

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

he is busy babydog sitting too

Yep, I also think so. Poor puppy for that mishap on starting  a life.

Otherwise he could fib on us with a new trick and showing us the first page with the kit and on the second one it being hung by him under his ceiling. Who knows? :whistle:

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 5

Thanks everyone! Managed a very quick update before the house wakes up…

Firstly the title - you've been very kind not to point out the error. Operation chastise was carried out on 16–17 May 1943 and this year's 2019 so that's (9-3=6, 1-4, carry 1 = 7, calm down) seventy SIX years ago. Goodness knows why I though it was 75. Old age, that's what it is. Corrected! :) 

Tilly says thanks for all the good wishes. Grrrr-woof!

Normal service will (hopefully) be resumed after the pup goes home next Wednesday 29th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For sure what needs to be done to Tilly's legs is nothing compared to what you'll have to do to this kit! All my simpathy for your puppy, She'll do fine!

What I can't really understand is how nowadays Airfix can sell a reboxing like this!!! 

Of course this is what we're here for and the challange is intriguing, but I'd prefer to build it by choice as a vintage kit from an old box bought at a bargain price at a local fair, rather than buy it (and not cheap, considering Airfix prices!!!) as a new offer in 2019 or last year and get this surprise on opening the box!!! 

Anyway I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun building it to a good STD an we'll have as much fun watching you!

Good luck to you and mostly to Tilly!!!:like:

I'll be watching.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 7

Thanks Massimo :) You're right, of course. I find a quick look at scalemates.com protects you from the reboxed old kits… if one looks before you buy. Of course I don't. Serves me right.

Tilly has had her stitches out today and all is well.

Two more weeks before the final checkup and, of course, daughter and Son-in-Law are still making their way in life and the puppy still needs to be restrained.

The solution? Move back in with Mum and Dad.

It'll be lovely to have them here (he said through clenched teeth) 

I'm hoping for some free time and, of course, some modelling. We'll see how it goes over the weekend.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Thank heavens for Tilley, 11 days after the thread started & only 33 posts, hallelujah, only the third row back :D.

I looked on Scalemates & went & bought a Revell Tonka & Xtradecal sheet to do this scheme. I think its a brilliant one but couldn't face this kit after reading the reviews. I'll enjoy watching you wrangle this into submission though. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, CedB said:

Goodness knows why I though it was 75. Old age, that's what it is. Corrected! :) 

He.

Corrects.

Old.

Age.

:hmmm:

Modelling may now proceed indefinitely....

#Cedfornobel

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 31/05/2019 at 04:10, stevehnz said:

Thank heavens for Tilley, 11 days after the thread started & only 33 posts, hallelujah, only the third row back :D.

I looked on Scalemates & went & bought a Revell Tonka & Xtradecal sheet to do this scheme. I think its a brilliant one but couldn't face this kit after reading the reviews. I'll enjoy watching you wrangle this into submission though. :)

Steve.

Welcome Steve! :) 

On 31/05/2019 at 07:47, TheBaron said:

He.

Corrects.

Old.

Age.

:hmmm:

Modelling may now proceed indefinitely....

#Cedfornobel

:rofl2: 

Thanks Tony, but I can't stop the passage of time… 65 now and counting… but nice Birthday weekend with the girls.

I think the extra 'nurses' are going to work out and I've finally caught up with my 'followed' threads and been inspired, as usual. Who knows, I may even get some modelling done later.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 5

Something has been done!

Internals started, other bits cleaned of flash, pilots given a first coat:

47994334837_ebd5c4f959_z.jpg

I fancied glueing something so cut the wings off. Had to shave some ejector marks off the insides but then stuck 'em together with Liquid Poly:

47994330108_18299d51bb_z.jpg

Better than nothing. Just.

• Like 11

Hi John :) 

New clamps! 'Little nippers' from Modelling Tools. Cute. I think I bought them to meet the minimum order.

I'll have to be careful though - the jaws are plastic and they may become part of the model!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good to see things are finally moving with this kit, Ced :clap2: :thumbsup: 

And I agree with John, fancy pegs you have there - so posh! :) 

Ciao

• Haha 1

If you replace the ejection seats for more modern MB Mk 10s, hang on to the old ones. With the inverted T headboxes, a bit of TLC and a squint would see them fit nicely in an early RAF Hawk (mid-80s or earlier, depending on references).

40-odd years on and that front fuselage fit is still an abomination. I used to attack mine until the join was filled and the sidewalls were flat, then skin each side area with a broad tongue of thin plastic card faired in with a touch of filler to hide any gaps. Best done before adding the intakes. I then engraved as much detail into the card surface as I could manage.

The kits were still six-footers, but it wasn't for lack of trying!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just keep swimming!!!! 🐠

I must confess to laughing inordinately in the cinema while watching The Meg (high culture? Me?) as the Stath muttered that under his breath when essentially acting as shark bait.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, CedB said:

Better than nothing. Just

Every great journey begins with such a simple step.

Without that leap of faith Neil Innes would not have first set foot upon the moon. 

Crack on Bravepart! ⚔️

• Haha 3

On 03/06/2019 at 17:07, Steve Coombs said:

If you replace the ejection seats for more modern MB Mk 10s, hang on to the old ones. With the inverted T headboxes, a bit of TLC and a squint would see them fit nicely in an early RAF Hawk (mid-80s or earlier, depending on references).

40-odd years on and that front fuselage fit is still an abomination. I used to attack mine until the join was filled and the sidewalls were flat, then skin each side area with a broad tongue of thin plastic card faired in with a touch of filler to hide any gaps. Best done before adding the intakes. I then engraved as much detail into the card surface as I could manage.

Ced when you want Hawk seats see me round the back of the bike sheds, OK...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Without that leap of faith Neil Innes would not have first set foot upon the moon. 

Crack on Bravepart! ⚔️

Drat, you've edited your post - I was hoping you'd have pics of Jacques Cousteau's submarine on the top of Everest....wondered if that was what all those nutters were queing to see t'other day....

K

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Drat, you've edited your post - I was hoping you'd have pics of Jacques Cousteau's submarine on the top of Everest....

Apologies for the revisionism Keith.

Just didn't want people to think that I'd made it up.

2019-06-04_10-14-18

*actual footage

• Haha 6

On 03/06/2019 at 16:35, giemme said:

Good to see things are finally moving with this kit, Ced :clap2: :thumbsup: 

And I agree with John, fancy pegs you have there - so posh! :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) More progress to come!

On 03/06/2019 at 17:07, Steve Coombs said:

Thanks Steve - this is going to be another OOB for me; I'm building up to some serious kits so need some more mojo :) 

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just keep swimming!!!! 🐠

nice bit o progress Mr B. 🙌

Johnny

10 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I must confess to laughing inordinately in the cinema while watching The Meg (high culture? Me?) as the Stath muttered that under his breath when essentially acting as shark bait.

Thanks Johnny and Steve :) "keep swimming" is, I now guess, a quote from 'The Meg'? Yet to see that one…

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Crack on Bravepart! ⚔️

51 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Drat, you've edited your post - I was hoping you'd have pics of Jacques Cousteau's submarine on the top of Everest....wondered if that was what all those nutters were queing to see t'other day....

K

39 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Apologies for the revisionism Keith.

Just didn't want people to think that I'd made it up.

[snip pic]

*actual footage

Ooer! I have no idea what you two are on about either… that sub looks a bit 'sharky' - it's not the Meg again is it? :D 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced when you want Hawk seats see me round the back of the bike sheds, OK...

Oi oi! Thanks Bill. I think. Are you bringing the No 6?

(For youngsters or non-UK chaps, No 6 were a popular brand of cigarettes for naughty boys)

I saw no reason not to do this before painting everything H126:

48000757918_6008f982ef_z.jpg

Have you seen the pots of paint on the bench? Oh no, wait, you haven't:

48003231886_7d11fbfb9b_z.jpg

Mostly Humbrol enamels bought ages ago for this build… dare I spray them?

Cue shark music… nah, nah… nah, nah… nah nah, nah nah, doodle dooooooo…

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Damn. I knew I'd built this kit too soon. Mine is languishing on the Shelf Of Doom. Just about completed bar a few things like sucking the modelling life out of me. Built one in a previous foray into the hobby, judging by all the spare bits & bobs in the spares box, as an Op Granby bird. It was an awful kit then and time hasn't improved it (apart from the modern weaponry sprue). Built the Airfix F3 last year and enjoyed it but the GR1/4 is a pig. Good luck Ced I look forward to picking up lots of tips or exciting new sweary words depending on how the build goes.

And get well soon to young Tilly.  

I'll mosey on up to the back of the room and join the usual suspects at the bar.

• Like 2