1/72 Hasegawa Ju-188E "KG 66"

Dear fellow Britmodeller,

here's my 1/72 Hasegawa Ju-188E in markings of KG 66, in 1945.

Built with the addition of Eduard photo etch and Kora resin wheels.

Photographs by Wolfgang Rabel.

d25ccb82-2c27-4c4a-b452-c95d1ba96ca6.jpg

a882c872-c9ce-4428-ac4f-fddce1a0b7b6.jpg

9d8b5ba7-0f5f-4967-acc9-087fa3591cec.jpg

c9e76159-6983-425b-83ac-c5f4f5001392.jpg

e8c0c76c-be99-458c-ac55-7cd69d3f592d.jpg

61bf2303-2917-4e35-9116-2b7963e26ddf.jpg

fa35fa65-63fa-4646-8e96-af917168094e.jpg

74b6fdba-30f4-4ca6-9b79-d3ef1744f22c.jpg

d0c38c41-443b-4301-bcdc-7190a09cbf64.jpg

0dd105a1-3ff1-4cdb-9be1-6bbdafcd8ad3.jpg

419337c3-e93c-4108-8d38-d6ca0e3d4c51.jpg

adbc234c-1c8d-4603-8b6c-2e7b01708792.jpg

958eac32-e3f6-44b0-bc36-222b342e3f06.jpg

Thank you for your interest, best greetings from Vienna.

Roman

Edited by Roman Schilhart
broken photo links fixed
  • Like 51

Looks gorgeous!

Interesting that you used green spots. I would have thought something like RLM 75. Or did you interpreted it as a 70/71 standard camouflage as base with 76 applied on top but leaving out the spots?

I am just interesting in your interpretation. I don't pretend to know anything precise on later bomber camouflage.

Anyway, well done. I also like the variations in the black underside.

1 minute ago, Doc72 said:

Looks gorgeous!

Interesting that you used green spots. I would have thought something like RLM 75. Or did you interpreted it as a 70/71 standard camouflage as base with 76 applied on top but leaving out the spots?

I am just interesting in your interpretation. I don't pretend to know anything precise on later bomber camouflage.

Anyway, well done. I also like the variations in the black underside.

Thanks for your Feedback, Doc72.

The color scheme is purely speculative, as you can't make out the correct shade from the few available original photographs.

The spots could be RLM74 Grey, RLM70 Black Green or - simply Black, just like the underside.

What you see is my 'best guess' from the available informations.

Best greetings, Roman

• Like 3

Hi My Friend Roman!!!

Congratulations for this beautiful gem of a masterpiece!!!

This bird has a lot to be said about, but after a long and careful examination  will tell you that I liked a huge lot the overall finish but the most relevant thing apart from the nice camouflage you have chosen for this one, that reveals a great amount of patience and dexterity, is the nice weathering you have done to the overall build but specially in the black surfaces… Very nicely done and well placed in the right places. Without a doubt you have studied the build with enough time and nice references, and that paid a lot of dividends in a superb build!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

Looks beautiful - impressive build. What paint did you use?

Thank you for your interest, Hobo!

I painted with Gunze Mr.Hobby acrylics, using H77 Tire Black for the undersides, H65 Black Green (aka RLM70) for the spots and H417 Light Grey (RLM76) as top color.

The camo scheme was done in reverse-mottling technique by painting the top surfaces RLM70, then masking the dots with Uhu Tac blobs before spraying RLM76 all over:

resized_bbe5c841-2f6e-4152-877e-a42e174f

42 minutes ago, Josip said:

How did the canopy fit to the fuselage? I have read somewhere that it is too wide or something similar. 

The clear parts themselves are a good fit.

The problem zone is the aft section where the cockpit meets the fuselage. Some sanding was needed to get everything blended in. Nothing too serious, though.

I also realized the outer wings edges have an incorrect shape ….

1 hour ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Thank you Luis for your ongoing support!

• Like 4

Roman,

Another breathtaking beauty produced by you.  You have replicated the complex camouflage scheme / pattern with flawless precision.  While everything you share with us is a masterpiece, this Ju-188 is my favorite as I know that the Hasegawa kit is by no means “easy”.  I continue to be inspired by these works of art.  Take a bow Roman.  You`ve earned it!!!!!! :worthy:

Best regards,

Mike

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:
11 hours ago, Hobo said:

Looks beautiful - impressive build. What paint did you use?

Thank you for your interest, Hobo!

I painted with Gunze Mr.Hobby acrylics, using H77 Tire Black for the undersides, H65 Black Green (aka RLM70) for the spots and H417 Light Grey (RLM76) as top color.

The camo scheme was done in reverse-mottling technique by painting the top surfaces RLM70, then masking the dots with Uhu Tac blobs before spraying RLM76 all over:

Thank you! A great tip - I need to remember this technique.

A stunning model of this sinister but handsome looking aircraft.  The paint finish is beautifully applied. Looks a million miles away from the old Matchbox kit that I used to have as a kid.  I've learnt something too as I'd never heard of KG66 prior to this.  One thing though - can anyone tell me what the purpose of the circular opening on the top of the fuselage is?  Often wondered.

Beautiful model; a challenging scheme very neatly done. And it's 1/72!!  Take a bow!

Meatbox8: the circular feature is called a Peilgerat and its a flush-mounted antenna for the EZ6 direction finding aid.

See here: http://pa0pzd.com/airforce/ez6/

Much neater than a DF loop!

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
  • Like 1

A beautiful job on that Roman & a great hint for the upper surface spots. I'm up for that. I've some Aims decals for one of these & a Italeri one for them to go on, if anyone knows the Nevil Shute book "Requiem for a Wren" you might guess what I'm looking to build.

Steve.

Now you got me all enthusiastic about getting back to mine. Still it will have to wait a bit.

Nice job you made of it. 

Steve

I think I read that book as a teenager. It sounds familiar. I seem to remember liking it at the time.

I can't remember how the Ju 188 fits in it.

One of the reasons I am interested in it is reading a book about the nightfighter aces shooting them down over England.

The same reason I made the Do 217E. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 9:31 PM, Greg Law said:

Steve

I think I read that book as a teenager. It sounds familiar. I seem to remember liking it at the time.

I can't remember how the Ju 188 fits in it.

In Shutes book, Ordinance Wren Janet Prentice, shoots down a Ju 88 as it overflew the Solent shortly before D-day. Shute wove his tail around an actual incident when a Ju 188 overflew the Solent on the 18th April 1944 & after being engaged by ground fire was shot down by 255 sqn Typhoons from the wartime airfield of Needs Oar Point on the Solent near Exbury. The Ju 188 was from Kg.66. A great little book The Exbury Junkers by John Stanley was written about the incident & explains Shute's involvement. More info about the 1944 incident in this Youtube clip & a Facebook page by Stanley about it. I've long thought Requiem for a Wren one of the most intensely moving works of fiction I've ever read. When I was in the UK nearly 5 years ago with my son, we visited the Solent, Exbury House, Needs Oar point & later while visiting Cosford from a rellies place near Birmingham, we detoured to Cannock Chase German war cemetery & honoured the crew of the Exbury Junkers. A Kg.66 Ju 188 build is a definite one of these days.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Thanks Steve. It looks like that Ju 188 was trying to surrender and it sounds like the British knew it was. The was an excellent images of a Ju 188 in the clip I haven't"t seen before.