Airfix 1/72 Valiant - Completing the trio

As far as I'm aware no one does them yet, though I'm sure they'll be along at some point (I'll have a word with Colin at Freightdog or Mel of S&M). Regarding the Victor kit decals note that the number 4 in XA940 has the horizontal line shortened, it should extend slightly as seen in the scanned image.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally updating this thread!

Canopy parts masked, the closed door option is painted, and jet exhausts all painted up in Revell's Aluminium acrylic.

7d8bbf1a7a39932b1fba508fab41112e.jpg

Masking off the wheel wells using my favourite method, tin foil and blue tac

Bomb aimer's blister is sprayed on the inside and in the fuselage in black. The windows themselves are left clear of course. No detail in there unfortunately.

8d9d4971ba59d0107f6619b0e04fab26.jpg

4cc9798a9a5be57a82533df1420c443a.jpg

Attached the fuel pods, which I did remember to drill holes for. I have not actually glued on the canopy as it fits well without and then I can add the cockpit better once it's finished if I so wish.

9a5eed8902a9f5298b1380fa88b9a3f9.jpg

And with that I can't get any more photos on Pinterest.... I've got the model to the first coat of gloss white now, including preshade.

• Like 5

Ok I got the photos to work on Pinterest now

The model was sprayed with citadel Corax White, then preshaded with Vallejo medium sea grey. Ready for gloss white now.

cf6e50a9f3f4d5d5ecfb891aa3d489a3.jpg

And here's the underside

745c2e0d56745d843ab4e877e2f47e70.jpg

As can be seen here, the canopy is able to be removed

2534ddbd0e0b39af8fa6ebe1e7ea211a.jpg

The Valiant that I've chosen to build (XD 857) is one of the few survivors, albeit only as a partial cockpit section. Three cockpit sections and one complete aircraft survive today. 

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/valiant/survivor.php?id=530

The gloss white was started with a thin coat of Halfords Appliance White, my go to paint for anti flash. I think I'll leave the paint fairly thin and might not do a complete second layer so the preshading shows through better.

ea23f9ee81b3389c2053efdd850ad456.jpg

This was before I did the underside and rear of the aircraft in white, which I still need to take pictures of.

5e6797c0b7ae1fd0e7f8583281019af2.jpg

• Like 3

What would the best way to go about masking the black bit in front of the canopy? Last time I painted that kind of thing I just free handed out by brush, but it didn't end up as good as I would like.

8 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Cut very thin strip of masking tape and put it in the shape of the nose bit. The rest mask with larger bits of the tape or tissue.

Kind of worked I guess 😂 still need to touch it up with a brush but it's decent enough. Pictures up in a minute

Update!

I'm powering forward with the build, and as with when I built the Airfix Victor, I have totally fallen in love with the Valiant. I've always liked it, it's a V Bomber after all, but now I think it's found a place in my favourites list of aircraft. 

As always on my models, tin foil and blue tac do the majority of the masking, with tape providing a nice line. The underside of the nose is grey and black, so I did Vallejo Medium Sea Grey first. After that it was Citadel Abaddon Black Air (that's just what I have available right now. It's got a nice colour but the pot (terrible design) and the paint itself is meh), for the very front bit.

93d78c85fc8aaf29e204c2eb9c5d7266.jpg

Vallejo's Sea Greys are all too dark, but after looking at photos it appears that the Valiant's nose was indeed a bit darker than standard Medium Sea Grey. I think it looks ok.

The anti glare thing (?) is going to need touching up with a brush around the edge, but it did the job. I just took the unglued canopy off to make masking simpler.

341eb36f986a3f19a4df78900964b324.jpg

And all demasked. The Eduard masks performed perfectly, although I did make tiny errors in their placement and a few bits intended for the other canopy (2nd prototype) were accidentally used in this (they look identical to me). Yes I forgot the side windows actually exist, they're demasked too now. There's a tiny bit of paint where it shouldn't be due to my own error in placement but it is very difficult to notice.

5e6dae3ac33276bc0c6b889174b7a693.jpg

She's starting to look like a proper valiant now! It's a shame they aren't still being sold... £20 in late 2014 new from Airfix, now you're looking at £70-100 to get one normally. I would love two more, but I don't think it's going to happen unless the kit is reissued (PLEASE with a new tool vulcan).

• Like 4

Update coming soon. I'm out right now, so I will post pictures and everything in a while. I've done most of the cleaning up of the black and grey now, and gear legs are primed.

I want to get this relatively finished before I leave for a holiday in Canada on Tuesday. I will try to get the landing gear on today and the main decals, then various small parts and stencil decals tomorrow. 

Update!

The landing gear legs are on, but I didn't take any pictures of that. Main wheels are painted, they are nicely done as the two parts fit together well with plenty of tolerance for paint build up.

11147fbae9169eaa3cf11165aefda507.jpg

Landing gear doors are painted as well

• Like 2

Nose wheels painted and attached to the nose gear leg, it was easier to remove the landing gear leg to do this. Thankfully I had forgotten to glue it in.

dcad128e8ca2c96fa88a028d9b3ac1d7.jpg

Decals! The bit we all love and never burn out on...... Never..... Not once..... Ever......

Starting with the serials.

3ff5f57a43f8d798cbd81e776a882c2e.jpg

Gear doors on and more decals applied.

22972d371599a56fa7e09ea1fe54a796.jpg

Rear serials and roundels

e9f8bdceab4b0e1ccc8a32026685b9b9.jpg

Close ups of the gear bays. They look very nice, but unfortunately are quite inaccurate. The shape is wrong....

d0e071300f8b9ad06be2a44ae91bff89.jpg

.... And the outer door is..... Wrong. I think the inaccuracy is because Cosford displays their Valiant, XD818 (the last remaining :( wish more were around), with the outer gear doors closed so you don't walk into them. I don't mind though, it looks the part. There is a nice looking after market set, but this kit is quite pricey right now as it is (reissue please!)

c912ac4bc64018081542637ce02894d1.jpg

I think I'd buy the aftermarket set if I do another of these. I'll start looking for another at a good price (£60 or less I thinks) in a few months. I'm tempted now to do WB215, but I have a number of questions about that that will need answering first...

Under the nose. You can see a tiny bit of glue found its way somewhere it shouldn't have in the bomb aimer's window, but it's barely noticeable. Just a minor slip up with Tamiya Extra thin (use that all the time for clears since I did my 1/72 Airfix Victor)

a63509b51afd75a3233f1363a1a39063.jpg

• Like 8

Ok so a few questions:

First, the roundels on the model. The instructions say that either regular or low vis. I can't find any images showing which to use on XD857. I want to model the aircraft for mid to late 1963, around when my Victor is modelled for. 

93007382fd8a87fdb5a32a087b5d6766.jpg

Other question...

For WB215, I have seen photos where she had intake grills like WB210, the first prototype, had (but on the wider style intake). Some photos seem to be missing it, but I can't quite tell. Can anyone confirm if it was removed? The Airfix kit does not include an intake grill of any sort. 

• Like 1

You know what sucks about being on the other side of the world to home.... No models to work on. Really want to just sit down and finish the Valiant right now. Anyway, back to letting the mozzies eat me alive and enjoying the view of the Pacific.

That up side down picture of the nose always catches me out. First thought. What's that wheel doing in the roof. Second thought. Dumb ars....?..... 🙄

This is looking real good. If only I had the room I would build all these cool war British bombers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

That up side down picture of the nose always catches me out. First thought. What's that wheel doing in the roof. Second thought. Dumb ars....?..... 🙄

Ha ha yes the bomb aimer's blister does look very much like a smaller canopy. Reminds me of some of the more interesting modern schemes on I think F18s that have something resembling a canopy painted on underneath. Kind of clever that is. 

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

This is looking real good. If only I had the room I would build all these cool war British bombers.

Thank you, I think this is the best of my V Bombers so far. 

Thing is, I don't really have the room right now. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Valiant once she's done... I might move the Vulcan to a stand on my WIP shelf above my desk for a while. I'm planning on getting two glass cabinets to display models in, ideally 50x50cm or bigger. Unfortunately I can't find any of that size (or 120x50 which is what I really want) so will have to build them from scratch, which will be quite expensive and time consuming. Those will be dedicated to V Bombers mainly as I plan currently to have at least six in 1/72. 

That sounds very ambitious, but I do understand the passion one gets for subjects like these. My current one is the first jets. From Germany, Britain and the Us. At least I don't need a massive cabinet for them. 

I will be showing my second on in the next week. 

• 2 months later...

Picking this back up, the first thing I need to do is dust off the model. Looking much cleaner than it did and ready for completion. The pitot tubes have been removed so I don't break them

7d55e997d3919e784ea75a9936d1d993.jpg

This will be tidying up a little

67238001cf4b9df6e0aa94a9e7b1117f.jpg

A decal has to go over those (inaccurate) vortex generators. Think on the next one (if I can get hold of another) I'll just remove them.

eb445440040ab905c87fd1088d4c9c40.jpg

I cut into the decal which should make it easier. I'll patch it up afterwards with xtracolour pale roundel red

103369698f13a6d6ac09d63ac83e926d.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If you want to kill your enthusiasm to continue a kit, just apply an awkward decal that you end up painting half of.

ba4e4949a5373ed196f1409c46ee2666.jpg

I applied the fin flash, but ended up with a large section of it just cut off. I had bought an enamel paint to match the colour though, so surely it was ok....

But no! The colour didn't match... And because it is enamel and almost all of my paints are acrylic, I couldn't mix it to match the shade... After a while experimenting I managed to get a colour that roughly matched using acrylics, but it is a bit dark.

b33a7b47f7dffa479cb8355682096955.jpg

Perhaps I'll find a use for these, but I really don't like enamels.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

af5a5bc74f56ce714dc8121b4512f7aa.jpg

Getting a bit more work done. Decals and doctor who, which was too my surprise, actually pretty decent compared to the previous series. Only got two decals on in that time.

4fe1947c012e9b28e96496776159e342.jpg

Next up was the other side's fin flash. This time I just removed part of the decal to replace with paint. Much easier.

I have found another Airfix Valiant kit for a very good price, so I'll be building another once this is done and my newest Victor is done.

Then a quick photo and edit with my first Victor (and the little one flying in behind)

75b1e96163468e3e402eb9e06fdb7f17.jpg

1e53503dbc67567aa90c2fb348c67feb.jpg

• Like 2

A few decals, a wash, bit of paint touch ups and the few antennae that need to go on and she's done. Well, stencils for a rainy day that I'll probably never bother applying aren't done but shhhh

93925512e597aa464ac684e7d3b0087d.jpg

2b2849eb6b71155b726871da199ca05c.jpg

RFI up soon

• Like 4