10 Squadron Halifax III info?

Bedders

Hiya,

I'm looking for a bit of mojo inspiration and want to get away from WWII single seat fighters for a bit. Now a good mate of mine's father died recently and he'd been a navigator on 10 Squadron Halifaxes thoughout the campaign, as well as through the transition to Dakotas for transport ops the Far East. So I'd be intersted in any info/photos that folks might have of 10 Squadron Halifax IIIs so I can find one to replicate for my old chum. I'm thinking of using the Revell kit so any pointers on the accuracy/problems with that would be very welcome too.

Thanks,

Justin

The Revell kit pretty good.  It has its problems - tyres too small, ailerons too narrow chord, outer bomb bay doors fixed shut, a double row of bombs instead of a triple, and a few lesser tweaks.  Overall however it is a good representation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So, have you Googled '10 Squadron Halifax III'?

I just did and found 3 images straight away...

So believe it or not I have!

• Like 1

Why not get in touch with the 10 Squadron association and see if they can help you with a list if the aircraft he flew?

Then take it from there, they may have a photo of one that he flew or he may just have flown one of the better known ones.

• Like 1

If you know when he was in the squadron have a look at the Operations Record Books for a few of those months.

I've had a quick look at 1944 and the 10 squadron ORBs list crew members, aircraft code letters and serial numbers along with info on the missions.

Here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/raf-operations-record-books-1939-1945/

Edited by MarkH206
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, MarkH206 said:

If you know when he was in the squadron have a look at the Operations Record Books for a few of those months.

I've had a quick look at 1944 and the 10 squadron ORBs list crew members, aircraft code letters and serial numbers along with info on the missions.

Here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/raf-operations-record-books-1939-1945/

Brilliant. Found the records, his name, his crew and so far two of his aircraft! Thanks very much!

Justin

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 11:36, Bedders said:

Brilliant. Found the records, his name, his crew and so far two of his aircraft! Thanks very much!

Justin

Excellent. Glad I could be of help. 

I asked a few questions here on the Mk I / II boxing and I think some of the info may apply to the Mk III. At least you don't have to worry about the shape of the nacelles!

I had some great replies:

• Like 1