what is this Hurricane serial from 111 Squadron report

JackG

Jack

Is it possibly N2482 rather than P2482? F. K. Mason's 'The Hawker Hurricane - An Illustrated History' has N2482 with 111 Sqn before going off to 6 O.T.U., 8 F.T.S, 9 P.A.F.U., R.A.F. College Cranwell, w/o near Grantham on May 10 1942.

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
Added FKM info

Glad I  made a separate thread for this - thank you both Simon and Smitty.

N2482 was something I had considered, so it must of been some kind of mental exhaustion on pilot Walker's behalf, when he filled out his May 18th report?  Oddly, he repeated the same error (serial P2482) as it appears again in his reports concerning June 7th - both as flying green 2 position.  

Anyhow, May 18th seems to have been hectic.  and he possibly had flown three different Hurricanes on that day as reports have him as both Red 3 and Green 2, and along with this excerpt from Aces High which has him flying L1589 (and not P2885) when he claimed a He111:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=KqJ2BQAAQBAJ&pg=PA1897&lpg=PA1897&dq=walker+James+Arthur+P2885&source=bl&ots=ufo1YPPjzq&sig=ACfU3U09wmuCEkgSm0BcgYa9AwoGuZW91Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7tvys5ajiAhVElKwKHXY1CEQQ6AEwEXoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=walker James Arthur P2885&f=false

I've looked over the digital files for Connors, but the earliest entry begins at May 31 1940.  They do confirm  he was Green 1 around this period, and the only serial mentioned is P3548.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7442590

Are they any known individual codes for 111 during the Battle of France and Britain?  There is the well known photo of  Hurricane L2001 sporting a B,   L1822 appears to be a K and an older thread here gives L1973 as JU-L.   Any others?

Groundcrew_refuelling_Hurricane_Mk_I_L20

MPogkOu.png

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1