Sword's EE Lightning T4 and T5

Sword's EE Lightning T4 and T5. Took me roughly 18 months to complete. I did simultaneously build the T4 and T5 along with Airfix's new F6. It took so long due to a lose of modelling mojo, work getting in the way, plus my painting and nature conservation work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I did not use the etch set, as I can't stand the things. Overall, the build went fairly well. The resin pieces weren't the best either in quality or fit. The three kits were almost turned into airgun fodder when, after a nifty bit of masking and spraying of the upper surfaces, I decided to use an ancient can of Halfords Chrome spray.

spacer.png

Firstly it made a mottled mess, partly due to deteriorating in the can for 20 years. Secondly, yours truly didn't wait until the paint had cured. I masked off the chrome paint, sprayed silver, then pulled off the masking tape and most of the chrome paint as well.

spacer.png

I persevered and finished the blighters - though I notice I haven't attached one inflight refuelling probe (either lost in the bomb site I call a modelling table or eaten by the carpet monster) or a couple of my scratch built aerials.  Sigh.

I did end up with a couple of 2 foot models of these stunning aircraft i.e. good when viewed from at least 2 feet away. They're one of the few aircraft I feel actually look good as a trainer version.

I'll post photos of my 1/72 Airfix F6. Once I can wrestle the nose probe from the maws of the carpet monster.

I notice that despite my best efforts, the two, rather prominent, white aerials on the T5 are not parallel or vertical.

Angus

• Like 34

Hello all,

Thanks for the nice replies. Glad you like the Lightnings.

These are well worth building. In truth, once I rolled my sleeves up and actually sat down to build them (rather than leaving them untouched for weeks or months) they only took a couple of weeks effort to complete.  Even masking the camo scheme didn't take much time. The tasks that took longest were making good my errors.

Be aware, though, these are short run kits. They do need old fashioned modelling skills, lots of dry fitting and some hacking of parts. In stark contrast was the Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6 which I built at the same time. This more or less (with a couple of minor exceptions) fell together; it had the current great engineering of Airfix kits.

Very nicely done! I have both of these in the stash and I'm looking forward to getting them out!

Excellent work. As a 48th scale'r I wasn't aware that Sword did these in 72nd as well. It took me a while to realise that they aren't 1:48. Super stuff!!

Outstanding job on both!👍 👍  I think the two-seaters are even more handsome than the single-seaters. As good as the Sword kits appear to be, I think Airfix missed a great money-making opportunity by not doing T4/T5's in either or both scales.... and I'm on THIS side of the pond!

Mike

Great stuff, very nice work :) 

I'm near to finishing a Sword T5 in 48th scale and learning about painting NMF as I go along, I agree that the Sword kits being short run are lacking in location points for a lot of things and you need patience

Think there's something that makes the T birds look right though

Ian