Airfix 1/24 Hellcat WIP

13 minutes ago, gunpowder17 said:

I didnt say sort of i said technically. Its supposed to be released in June , i was sold it by mistake.

So Airfix supply retail outlet(s) and tell them not to put them on sale 'til next month - never heard of that - and I was in the industry for 20 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

So Airfix supply retail outlet(s) and tell them not to put them on sale 'til next month - never heard of that - and I was in the industry for 20 years.

Well i have to say i was wondering that myself. I couldnt figure out why they sent them to them if they were not supposed to be selling them? A mistake maybe? Dont know but apparently an Aifix rep had seen "on a forum" someone building one. Strange , but there you go.

Wonderland Models website showing the Hellcat as available from June 3rd and Hannant's have it available from June 26th 🙂 

Looks like Gunpowder has a Hellcat scoop! 

OK i messed up on the instrument panel. I put the beautiful airscale decal on and didnt notice it was off to one side , so when i put the face on , the dials were not lined up. I have resorted to fitting the kit ones instead. They are still really good but the Airscale ones were a bit better. Nevermind. Still need to tidy it up a bit.

Qt82yXx.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

OK i messed up on the instrument panel. I put the beautiful airscale decal on and didnt notice it was off to one side , so when i put the face on , the dials were not lined up. I have resorted to fitting the kit ones instead. They are still really good but the Airscale ones were a bit better. Nevermind. Still need to tidy it up a bit.

Qt82yXx.jpg

Still looks great to me!

Rob

• Like 2

I did battle with the carpet monster tonight. For about 20 mins i looked in my safe places , kit boxes and as a last resort the kitchen bin. I was trying to find the instrument panel coaming. I was trying to figure how i was supposed to ask Airfix for a part that is from a new kit that shouldnt have been on sale!  I sat on the sofa and staring right at me from the middle of the carpet was the part. No idea how i missed it , or how it got there!

Anyway onwards. The seat is now finished with the kit injection molded parachute pack and seatbelts. They actually look really good once painted up.

DwWF9em.jpg

These arrived today too.

veducky.jpg

• Like 13

I am aiming to get the fuselage halves joined tonight. I need to give the whole cockpit a quick coat of matt varnish and add the trim wheels and a couple of other bits , then we should be set.  We are off on Holiday for a week tomorrow , but i plan to take the engine with me and at least assemble that. I dont think i can cope with no modelling for a whole week! 

• Like 1

Today's workbench has a competition to "To be in with a chance of winning the first 1/24th scale Hellcat kit to be available anywhere in the world," that is apart from South Woodham Ferrers, Essex then,

Official launch date 21st June

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Certainly not for you to feel awkward. I do wonder why a product would be delivered to a store and the proprietor told to sit on it for over a month before he can get a return on his money. I see on the Airfix blog that there is supposed to be a world wide rollout of the kit in a month or so.  I live in the US and I am sure that some one in Ireland will probably get the kit before I can. For sure trying to find one available to get it as soon as possible has the prospect of being gobbled up by mailing fees! This is going to be a big weighty box methinks.... I hope Airfix sells them like hotcakes...

5 minutes ago, pat d said:

Certainly not for you to feel awkward. I do wonder why a product would be delivered to a store and the proprietor told to sit on it for over a month before he can get a return on his money.

In a different part of my life. I did once work for a hobby-shop, and can remember something similar happening for an Tamiya RC car kit. We had about 6-8 of them in our back room. However we weren't allowed to acknowledge that until a certain date. If we did Tamiya would black list us and we couldn't get Tamiya kits through our distributor. So for 3-4 weeks we had to deny there existence. In the end we made the best of the situation. We built two of the RC cars up and then sold them for more money when the time came. Of course we also played with them after hours before the sale date to "test drive" 😉 them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hmmm... of course if I was a savvy Airfix PR guy (public relations, not photo reconnaissance) the idea of “leaking” one to a britmodeller user to whet the appetite might seem a good idea...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 5/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, wombat said:

Hmmm... of course if I was a savvy Airfix PR guy (public relations, not photo reconnaissance) the idea of “leaking” one to a britmodeller user to whet the appetite might seem a good idea...

A similar thought had occurred to me, nothing like creating a bit more anticipation. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

None of this is helpful to my internal pledge to never buy another model ever. It was working in that I didn't buy any of the Tamiya 1/32 Corsairs. My favourite WW2 fighter. But now my second favourite the Hellcat is coming. 

How do I resist? 

Well i had one evening of modelling while i was away. I only too the engine sprue  ,  a pair of snips and some glue , so it was very basic assembley i did. I havent attended to any seams or added any details yet. The gearcase , cylinders etc are all just slid onto the crankcase.

wBPL5b4.jpg?1

I really recommend this book , especially if you want to add more detail. Theres loads in it.

exXL9yk.jpg

More later...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow you really are clogging along with thi one and doing a superb job too,....... nice one!!

Having helped research the decals for this kit,...... I`m eager to get my mitts on one too,...... good luck with yours!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2