Tips required for a beginner-ish modeller

Nathanrobert86

Hello, can someone give me some tips, or a link, for a few topics? I'm new to the site, and while I'm not a total beginner when it comes to modelling, I'm not highly skilled by any means. I have a few things in particular upon which I'd like some guidance:

1. painting metal tracks - I'm building a 1/35th Tiger I as my first 'serious' model. I'm really not sure how to go about painting and detailing the tracks.

2. Applying washes and weathering - I know what a wash is, but I've never actually done it. I see some commercial washes for sale. Should I buy one, or should I go with some type of concoction? Also, any tips on actually applying a wash?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan.

17 minutes ago, Nathanrobert86 said:

1. painting metal tracks - I'm building a 1/35th Tiger I as my first 'serious' model. I'm really not sure how to go about painting and detailing the tracks.

have a read of this

which may give you some pointers as to what tracks actually look like..  @Das Abteilung  maybe able to help with painting techniques as well.   

17 minutes ago, Nathanrobert86 said:

2. Applying washes and weathering - I know what a wash is, but I've never actually done it. I see some commercial washes for sale. Should I buy one, or should I go with some type of concoction? Also, any tips on actually applying a wash?

Depends on how much money you have,  and how much you like making things.  

if you have not applied a wash, try it on scrap first,  though the water based ones will wash off. 

There are masses of different techniques,  what works for you is I'm afraid trial and error, though  a hunt on youtube will undoubtedly turn up some tutorials.  

One hint, modelling,  has 'fashions'  and fads,  and many modellers fall victim to looking at other models, and not what they are trying to model, or even understanding what they are trying to model,  hence tank models looking like they have been left derelict for 5 years, on something that maybe lasted 3 months,   see the first post in the linked thread for some useful detail observations on the real thing....

Your model to finish how you wish of course,  I'm of the school of aiming for accuracy,  and my comments are from this perspective.  

HTH